In Defense of Joe

JG would have been better in Heupel’s system than Joe and yet people still tear him apart. That’s the one that’s mean-spirited. JG got no coaching. As for Joe, he wIll always be the guy who ended the longest and hardest played football game I have ever seen by coming in for Hooker and sliding out of bounds to avoid a hit.

No problem with Joe. He came in, did the best he could for a few years, rode the pine when it was called for, and responded by trying to win at Tennessee. He's a VFL.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Transferred and did what exactly?
Where? Who was going to coach him better than Heupel?? He stayed for himself too. Don get it twisted.

If he had left, oh gosh, I guess that means Nico would have had to play!
That would have been just terrible!!
Your name says it all!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Where? Who was going to coach him better than Heupel?? He stayed for himself too. Don get it twisted.

I just can’t figure out why so many dislike this poster….

It was nice to see a qb scramble as well as throw on the run
Milton has never completed a TD pass while scrambling outside the pocket in his entire college career. Milton is like anyone else, he good at some things, and some things he’s not so good at. But one thing is for certain and that’s he truly gave every thing he had and wanted to be here.

I listened to Dave Hooker and he said something very interesting about Joe. He said Milton was told on December 15th (I think)) that he wouldn’t be the starter for the Citrus Bowl. So did Joe just quit? Stay home and do nothing? No. He practiced and really helped Nico get ready for the big game.

Joe Milton is the definition of a VFL.

Can't we just let it go regarding Joe? No offense to the OP, but why on earth start a thread just to give the trolls yet another chance to drag a guy through the mud who is a true VFL in every way, remained loyal and loves the university, worked hard and won eight games with a less than stellar surrounding cast in many areas, and helped mentor a kid who will hopefully lift UT to the next level?

As for the idiocy of Nico starting this season as if this is a video game where you just plug players in, anyone with even a remote amount of sense understands that much like the situation in Texas with Manning, this was the planned path that Heupel had set up with Nico's family before he ever arrived here. In fact, Manning is set to sit for another season under Ewers. These families are playing the long game, and aren't concerned with a lot of mouth breathers looking for immediate gratification.

Never have we had a QB with a more team-centered focus. He was a leader on and off the field, and represented the University well l…with a smile on his face.

Too bad he didn’t measure up to some peoples expectations, because he’s definitely a VFL.

As a starter at UT, Joe complied the following stats with 16 starts. Expectations were high for Joe and it is my opinion Joe gave his all, and that is all any of us can ask. If the coaches felt Nico was ready earlier, than why didn't they put him in? Thank you Mr. Milton. I sincerely hope you are drafted to a team that has an excellent QB coach that can further develop your amazing arm strength and overall poise in the pocket. Continue to make us proud of you sir and best of luck!

1704293011093.png

After 2021, he could have transferred about anywhere that needed a starting QB and he would have easily started. They only person twisting anything is you.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
I might be off base her with you regulars but I want to tip my hat to Joe Milton. Definitely a VFL that gave us some good moments. Actually the only game I kinda hold against him is Florida. Joe was a good loyal quarterback that produced 8 solid wins. I wish him well in the NFL (like Dobbs) and thank him for his service to the vols!

Absolutely! A Volunteer in the true sense of the word. Joe Milton will forever be welcomed back to Tennessee with adoration..

I can see Joe getting a real shot in the NFL in an offense that is more 'pro style' than one that relies on a QB to use his legs to make or extend plays.
Teams like Atlanta, New Orleans, New England, etc. will give Joe a shot - don't be surprised if one of them takes him on a late round pick.

I will forever appreciate Joe and the role he played in our program.
Without Joe we don't have 11 wins last year and we don't have a stop gap, or bridge, from Hooker to Nico to hold the program together.
It says a LOT about the guy when asked where he went to college and he says Tennessee...zero mention of the 3 years spent in Ann Arbor.

All I will say is it was night and day watching Nico at qb vs Joe. Mind you Nico is a true freshman. Joe was like a 6th year senior or something like that. Part of me wonders if the reason we didn’t see more Nico this year was Huepel protecting Joe and the program from seeing how much better Nico was than Joe. Huepel was determined to play Joe just like Pruitt was hell bent on playing JG. Nico has some things to work on but I am glad to see Joe finally gone just like I was JG! The Vols future is looking bright with Nico, Jake and the other QBs Huepel is targeting!
Y’all must have watched a different bowl game than I did. Nico looked good *for a freshman* but we didn’t throw downfield much to protect him. If Joe had been playing, we would’ve scored 50. Nico threw for 151 yards. I like the potential but you’re crazy if you think he was the better qb *this season*

He’s taken a lot of crap from the fan base even after being loyal to the program.

Could have easily transferred somewhere else but he stuck it out.

He’s a VFL in my book.
wouldn’t be VN if crap wasn’t thrown. Some will be throwing it at Nico soon…. even the ones who were hollering to put him in!

VN Store

Back