India Plans to DOUBLE Coal Use by 2040

I remember back in the 1990s that all of these visionaries and games depicting the future had us going with Fusion/Fission nuclear energy or Hydrogen energy. I still don't see it. It is the cheapest/cleanest option but everyone is afraid of the risk of meltdowns.

I remember back in the 1990s that all of these visionaries and games depicting the future had us going with Fusion/Fission nuclear energy or Hydrogen energy. I still don't see it. It is the cheapest/cleanest option but everyone is afraid of the risk of meltdowns.

It’s the safest form of electricity. So I don’t understand those fears

The studies you’re talking about are US specific. The cost of resources depends on where you are. But if I’m wrong and you have data showing India has cheaper options, please provide it
Has and will have are different things. Longterm planning based on current prices is poor planning and right out of the How to Stay a Third World Country playbook.

Check out Costa Rica who is making smart moves on a 3rd world budget

Has and will have are different things. Longterm planning based on current prices is poor planning and right out of the How to Stay a Third World Country playbook.

If I’m wrong and they will have cheaper options, show me the data.

As compared to what? Coal isn't even forecast to be the cheapest electricity source in 20 years.

Lol. Your reading comprehension needs work

You're claiming coal is a bad decision for them because there will be cheaper options 20 years from now. I'm asking you to back up that claim. Where is your study showing India will have cheaper options?

It’s the safest form of electricity. So I don’t understand those fears

In my opinion, these sources (I referenced 3-types) are the future of mankind.

Hydroelectric, Wind, and Solar are not dependable sources and expensive (although solar is effective for space craft once you leave the Earth's atmosphere).

Coal, Oil, and Natural Gas are non-renewable and are not near as efficient as Nuclear Fission/Fusion or even Hydrogen power.

You're claiming coal is a bad decision for them because there will be cheaper options 20 years from now. I'm asking you to back up that claim. Where is your study showing India will have cheaper options?
What makes you think the tech referenced in the studies you've already acknowledged 3 posts ago won't be available in India in 20 years? If Costa Rica can afford to invest in it now, why can't India? Wind and solar will be cheaper in 20 years. Hell it's almost cheaper now.

India has done a very poor job investing in its future. It's not as if they just realized they had a massive population with limited resources. India, as well as China to a certain degree, have invested not nearly as much as necessary on infrastructure. Part of that is cost but part of it is also short sightedness on behalf of their leadership. Do I blame them for buying cheap coal? No, but their poor planning affects more than just Southern Asia in terms of environmental impacts. Anyone rooting for this to occur is fooling themselves if they believe it won't have an impact on us environmentally. Their unfettered dumping into the Indian Ocean along with China in the South China Sea have created massive dead zones in the Oceans which absolutely affects the health of seafood for all.

Reactions: AM64
India has done a very poor job investing in its future. It's not as if they just realized they had a massive population with limited resources. India, as well as China to a certain degree, have invested not nearly as much as necessary on infrastructure. Part of that is cost but part of it is also short sightedness on behalf of their leadership. Do I blame them for buying cheap coal? No, but their poor planning affects more than just Southern Asia in terms of environmental impacts. Anyone rooting for this to occur is fooling themselves if they believe it won't have an impact on us environmentally. Their unfettered dumping into the Indian Ocean along with China in the South China Sea have created massive dead zones in the Oceans which absolutely affects the health of seafood for all.
Modi is close to a decade in power, but he's gradually moving India in the right direction. It's easy for China to move quickly because they are far more authoritarian than most. India isn't quite as authoritarian so they can move people and decisions as quickly.

I would agree that Modi's predecessors dropped the ball, however.

Reactions: EasternVol
As compared to what? Coal isn't even forecast to be the cheapest electricity source in 20 years.

Sure, but coal (and nuclear and NG) can produce power all night and generally in all weather conditions. "Renewables" use "free" energy, but they come at a tremendous cost because they can't meet the 24/7 need or even necessarily follow demand. That simply shifts the cost to running idle plants that can ramp up to meet demand - not at all efficient. But it's like elections, this cost debate is all about who is figuring the costs.

VN Store

Back