Insincere displays of religion by parents leads to atheism in their children's adulthood

AshG

Easy target
New psychology research identifies a robust predictor of atheism in adulthood

People who claim to follow a religion but present contrary behavior in front of their children are more likely to find their children reject religion as adults, a new study says.

I guess singing "Rescue the perishing, care for the dying" on Sunday then complaining about helping to rescue the perishing and care for the dying the other six days of the week does actually have an effect.

People who claim to follow a religion but present contrary behavior in front of their children are more likely to find their children reject religion as adults, a new study says.

I guess singing "Rescue the perishing, care for the dying" on Sunday then complaining about helping to rescue the perishing and care for the dying the other six days of the week does actually have an effect.

Anecdotal, but this almost perfectly explains my agnostic deism. I was all in on the gospel. I did a 2-year mission at age 19. I'm not going to put all the blame on my parents, it was the community as a whole, but many commonly-accepted behaviors conflicted with what I saw as the most important aspects of Christ's teachings and I couldn't reconcile the two, which led to questioning everything and my relationship with God changed. I am so much happier now. Religion gave me so much anxiety.

Reactions: luthervol and AshG
Anecdotal, but this almost perfectly explains my agnostic deism. I was all in on the gospel. I did a 2-year mission at age 19. I'm not going to put all the blame on my parents, it was the community as a whole, but many commonly-accepted behaviors conflicted with what I saw as the most important aspects of Christ's teachings and I couldn't reconcile the two, which led to questioning everything and my relationship with God changed. I am so much happier now. Religion gave me so much anxiety.

So you followed man instead of Christ and was shocked when man let you down and thus blamed God?

Christ was literally killed by the religious leaders of his time. Christ has warned about religion and false teachers constantly in his teachings.

He literally said he will tell people to flee from him who called out demons in his name.

Kick religion to the curb but have a relationship with Christ. Just my 2 cents.

Ps. I am just as lost as you and probably worst. I am simply a guy saved by grace trying to be better than yesterday.

Nothing new.

Did this "new study" include islam & muslims as well? Children seeing their parents actions of beheadings & killings & the rape of others is a good look for them?

What an incredibly lame comment. The study is not about Christianity specifically but that doesn't stop the butthurt which resulted in a completely unChristlike retaliation against other people of faith who were included in the study.

Have Christian rapists and terrorists changed your mind about Christianity?...because they exist too.

So you followed man instead of Christ and was shocked when man let you down and thus blamed God?

Christ was literally killed by the religious leaders of his time. Christ has warned about religion and false teachers constantly in his teachings.

He literally said he will tell people to flee from him who called out demons in his name.

Kick religion to the curb but have a relationship with Christ. Just my 2 cents.

Ps. I am just as lost as you and probably worst. I am simply a guy saved by grace trying to be better than yesterday.

I guess you could say I followed man. I don't know how to follow Christ without following man. Everything we know about Christ came through men. Anyway, I threw out all the books and teachers and have been just going with my gut.

What an incredibly lame comment. The study is not about Christianity specifically but that doesn't stop the butthurt which resulted in a completely unChristlike retaliation against other people of faith who were included in the study.

Have Christian rapists and terrorists changed your mind about Christianity?...because they exist too.

The victim entitlement so many "Christians" exude when some one trots out that they are a skeptic of non believer is fascinating. It's like... it ain't just your flavor that getting side eye here buddy, you're not special.

I'm not an atheist, I believe in the all mighty but I don't believe what man has written about him (the bible) is the word of the all Mighty. I turned away from organized religion when our preacher told me my dad was in danger of going to hell because he didn't come to church very often. I thought about that for a little bit and came to the conclusion that if a man that hasn't stolen, murdered, raped, rarely drinks, doesn't gamble or done anything remotely wrong is going to hell because he milks and feeds on Sunday mornings so his kids can go to church I have no business being associated with that religion.

I guess you could say I followed man. I don't know how to follow Christ without following man. Everything we know about Christ came through men. Anyway, I threw out all the books and teachers and have been just going with my gut.
A sure path to failure.

I have not met a single person in my entire life who is 100% consistent with what they proclaim to be their religious beliefs versus how they act in every day situations. I also have never heard of a religion that doesn't have as a core principle that humans are fallible and so will fail to meet the standards set for them by their religion or which they set for themselves.

Thus, I see no value to the point discussed here since everyone fails to varying degrees, and at various times.

And on top of that, in my opinion religion requires a certain level of self-awareness that is not reflective of "how my parents lived versus what they said." People with a religious outlook in their own lives premised solely on what they saw their parents do and say couldn't make a change even if they agreed with you because they haven't questioned what they believe, on their own, to begin with.

That's not to say that people don't start off in life mimicking their parents when it comes to religion. I'm just saying that in order for it to actually be your own outlook with any real force you have to have your own personal reckoning and if you can't do that n your own you aren't changing anyway.

What explains your overt feminism?

Maybe you will understand all humans are flawed and sinners. Jesus and God are not the problems here.

I’m an atheist, but one of those weird ones that votes Libertarian or begrudgingly republican. Didn’t really have anything to do with my parents, though claiming atheism at 14 definitely gave me the teenage rebellion monicker and they said It was a phase id grow out of.. I just never did grow out of it.
For me even as a young child religion never made sense in my brain. It’s not logical to me in any shape or form therefore I just couldn’t believe it I even tried as a kid. You couldn’t pay me 10 million dollars to believe, my brain literally won’t allow it.

Maybe you will understand all humans are flawed and sinners. Jesus and God are not the problems here.

There's a difference between "I am forgiven and and trying my absolute best to not be a dick," and "I am forgiven, so I can be a dick all I want and God has my back."

One is regenerative Christianity, the other is carnal Christianity. One is based on scripture, the other is based on personal desire.

Just read the Bible. Pray. Sit in silence and try to listen. Really the only Bible book you need.

I have not met a single person in my entire life who is 100% consistent with what they proclaim to be their religious beliefs versus how they act in every day situations. I also have never heard of a religion that doesn't have as a core principle that humans are fallible and so will fail to meet the standards set for them by their religion or which they set for themselves.

Thus, I see no value to the point discussed here since everyone fails to varying degrees, and at various times.

And on top of that, in my opinion religion requires a certain level of self-awareness that is not reflective of "how my parents lived versus what they said." People with a religious outlook in their own lives premised solely on what they saw their parents do and say couldn't make a change even if they agreed with you because they haven't questioned what they believe, on their own, to begin with.

That's not to say that people don't start off in life mimicking their parents when it comes to religion. I'm just saying that in order for it to actually be your own outlook with any real force you have to have your own personal reckoning and if you can't do that n your own you aren't changing anyway.

To me, it's not about being imperfect or making mistakes. It's about adhering to conflicting ideas, like that we should love one another, especially the least of our bretheren but it's also OK to say legal refugees are not welcome in Oklahoma.

To me, it's not about being imperfect or making mistakes. It's about adhering to conflicting ideas, like that we should love one another, especially the least of our bretheren but it's also OK to say legal refugees are not welcome in Oklahoma.

And I think a major tenet of Christianity is to at least recognize that there is an inconsistency there.

VN Store

Back