Is Huepel bad at recruiting?

I think the argument I hear sometimes of “well we are top 20” in recruiting is flawed considering we are finishing 8-10th in recruiting in our on conference. You can have the 15th best class in the country, and the 9th best in the SEC. That’s the world we live in. Those results = 7-5 and 8-4 seasons. You either demand/expect more, or come October/November you can’t b@@@@ when TN is getting slayed by UGA, Bama, etc. If you’re willing to accept a 8-9th best recruiting class in SEC right now (while mocking others who share concerns) then come season time you can’t complain when we are 7-5. Just my 2 cents.

It’s the major knock on him that we heard when he came here from UCF, that his recruiting classes kept getting worse and he continued to look for diamonds in the rough that just weren’t there. I’m not trying to be reactionary but with the resources we have this shouldn’t be happening. Butch was able to put together better classes without NIL and much less success. What are y’all’s thoughts?
Most likely. Summing up to not be great a coaching either.

It’s the major knock on him that we heard when he came here from UCF, that his recruiting classes kept getting worse and he continued to look for diamonds in the rough that just weren’t there. I’m not trying to be reactionary but with the resources we have this shouldn’t be happening. Butch was able to put together better classes without NIL and much less success. What are y’all’s thoughts?
Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: Jaswatzell
Everyone calm your tits. Transfer portal is a thing too

70% blue chip ratio

We had one double digit win in over a decade. These are the types of classes Clemson had before becoming a powerhouse

Last edited:
Reactions: LaagerVol
I think the argument I hear sometimes of “well we are top 20” in recruiting is flawed considering we are finishing 8-10th in recruiting in our on conference. You can have the 15th best class in the country, and the 9th best in the SEC. That’s the world we live in. Those results = 7-5 and 8-4 seasons. You either demand/expect more, or come October/November you can’t b@@@@ when TN is getting slayed by UGA, Bama, etc. If you’re willing to accept a 8-9th best recruiting class in SEC right now (while mocking others who share concerns) then come season time you can’t complain when we are 7-5. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, DEMAND more!!!

Yes he is.

2014 and 2015 were top 5 classes
On paper. 2014 had 3-4 players that were good.

2015 was better, but 2 QB’s that were flops,
5 star WR that transferred, 5 star DL that never lived up to his top 5 ranking.

So much better on paper than in reality.

He's not challenging the UA/GA/LSU elite of the conference yet. But, he has put us back on the map with the transfer portal. That xfer element is growing in importance.

Reactions: Vol8188
Please spell Heupel’s name correctly, if you are going to troll .

Well sometimes it’s not as black n white as the whole class landing top 10 Natl or top 5 SEC…

The key areas that is most important for blue chippers that correlate to success.

Typically boils down to Quarterback and pass rushers, (example those are the highest paid in NFL, by statistics those influence wins more than others.)

So assuming Nico turns out to be what we hope, and you look at how we’ve recruited/developed pass rushers (ie James Pearce, Tyre West coming on, etc)

In that regard we’ve recruited very well at QB and DLine. You hit on those you’re gonna have a chance. 5 star QB last year, high 4 star this year, let’s assume he lands GMac another 5 star next year. And keep up the blue chip pass rushers we will have a chance.

I think the X factor is Oline Recruitment.

Reactions: DD4ME
I’m not very happy with what seems to be the lack of portal activity. We were thin after some injuries and the drop off from first to second team was huge. With that being said, the recruiting is top 10-15 each year so he is very good at recruiting. This whole thread was started because we had one recruit make a terrible decision and pick Team Deion and another recruit show he’s beta and decommit because we tried to bring in some competition for him.

VN Store

Back