Is Neal as fast as Todd Gurley

Same BS was said about Arian Foster, while he was here. Lots of hating coming from fans like you. Doesn't have blazing speed....neither did Eddie George. Shows what your opinion is worth.

Go jump off a bridge. Ive watched plenty of RBs have great careers in the NFL without breakaway speed. The fact that Neal runs stiff is an easy observation for people with eyes. Heres a quote from Neal talking about what RB coach Robert Gillespie said about it: "He tells me I'm stiff, I can't block," Neal said. "He says I'm not fast. He pretty much told me I'm not a good tailback."

Read more here: KNOXVILLE, Tenn.: Coach's criticism inspires Tennessee's Rajion Neal | College Football | The State

Still too much east west in Neal.
Lane will pass him up in SEC play.

Agreed. Neal had a great half running the ball vs APSU. But his first run? He literally turned 90 degrees to his left after 5 yds so that he only gained 5 yds on the play. Should've gotten 7-8.... I think Lane would have.

I'd say in a foot race on a track with no pads on Neal wins. On a football field during a game...I'd say Gurley. He was one of the best looking true fresh runningbacks I can remember.

Last edited:
I got a good feeling that this is Neals year. I think he's a very good back and he will show it this year. GO VOLS!

I know it may be hard for some to get the taste of the past few years out of their mouth, but I think there is something that needs to be acknowledged.

There is something different about Neal this year. I noticed it a few months ago when he was shown going through some training drills, the ladder/quick feet exercise.

Neal appeared to be exploding with a quickness I have never seen him with before. I thought that it may have just been the angle of the film, or maybe even bad playback calibration of my players, but I noticed other things since then.

It seems like his plant step is extremely aggresive, precise, and very quick.

He also seems to have aquired a new level of 'shiftiness' that I've never seen him show before. He seems explosive in many different aspects of his game and his top end seems to be increased over past years.

This could be from a new approach to off-season conditioning and increased personal commitment/determination. We all know the players want to get to the NFL and Neal may have realized what he needs to do to secure that goal.

Hopefully he was able to increase his performance in north-south running, while becoming much better with his vision and reaction time.

I don't know how well his season will be (barring injury), but I think we can expect him to be better this year than any of his previous years in Orange. I also think he is capable of suprising a lot of defenses.

I really like Lane too, but I never saw anything in the off-season that caught my eye like Neal did... maybe because Lane wasn't around in the same capacity as Neal was.

OK, that's all, I just hope I am right about this and it does translate into a higher level of success for him and the rest of our Volunteers.

Go Vols!!!

Neal just needs to be more aggressive. Just like any back that has some size. They will try to bounce it if they have space to blaze down the sideline but if they don't they will make any defender that stands in their way to remember the hit they give them.

I posted their times recorded by NFL scouts and you still have doubts.. Can we say morons! I'm starting to believe we have the dumbest fan base on the planet. Can you people not read?

PSA to this guy or anyone else who takes posted 40 times seriously. This post may be sarcasm, but I think alot of people have it twisted. The "40 yard dash" times posted on sites like NFLDraftScout are ESTIMATES.. College players dont line up and run 40's for scouts.. until their combine and pro days. The same goes for recruiting sites. They estimate the times off of film and live scouting. They do get "accurate" times if a prospect comes to their camp, but i wouldnt trust those times either (unless it's from SPARQ). Do you really think every prospect runs a perfect 4.5 or 4.4?

VN Store

Back