Is the SEC still a “southern” conference?

I’m going to take a step back and ask why is it important to you that Kentucky be viewed as a Southern State? That’s where I should have started when you replied initially.
I’m just arguing my position. I think KY is a southern state. Same for Virginia and West Virginia. It’s not important to me, this is a discussion forum. We’re discussing.

I agree with Lost33.

Any place called "the bluegrass state," famous for its bourbons, and stomping grounds of a fella like Daniel Boone, well that's just a pretty strong echo of the greenest state in the land of the free, home of sippin' whiskey, with Davy Crockett as a standout citizen.

Yah, Kentucky is our baby brother. They're southern, for sure. They may try too hard at it, but they are southern.

Go Vols!

I’m just arguing my position. I think KY is a southern state. Same for Virginia and West Virginia. It’s not important to me, this is a discussion forum. We’re discussing.

In that case, can we agree that if your heroes are Jersey sounding names, like Pitino and Calipari, or even Patrino, you’re not southern?

You make a good point. Is there nothing more to being southern than Geography?
I won't attempt to define what a Southerner is, but I will say that I feel myself to be among Southerners when I'm in Kentucky (which, after all, was once the western extension of Virginia, from whence so many of our ancestors came to Tennessee).

Reactions: the lost33
Sure it is. I can’t speak to the future just because as the big 10 continues to grow, who knows what the SEC will do. But for now, it absolutely is and it absolutely is the best conference in college football.

So, if I’m getting the gist, adding Texas and Oklahoma means that the SEC is leading CFB in the mainstreaming of special needs universities.

I’ve NEVER forgiven Kentucky for staying “ Yankee “ and leaving our
Northern boarder totally exposed to Northern aggression. I’ve considered
Kentucky and Missouri the “ enemy “ ever since. I can “ hold a grudge “ for
a long time.
I hope you forgave East Tennessee.

Reactions: GVF and the lost33
It’s not. Missouri goes all the way to the bottom of Iowa. Missouri is farther north than KY. But the boot heel is actually more southern geographically than KY.
Columbia is only marginally further north than Lexington. And if you're laying lines down, the most northern region of KY is well above the half way point of WV. A good chunk of Indiana/Illinois is as far south of most any point in KY.

Today's regional references are still a byproduct of the division of "civil war lines".

I hope you forgave East Tennessee.
And a good bit of Middle, TN. Especially the Upper reaches of the Cumberland Plateau. My direct family of the time held about 550 acres+- in Jackson County and never one slave. They did employ one paid black family that relocated to the Dickson area west of Nashville and took the family last name with them. We have correspondance letters from only one relative I'm aware of that was in service out in Texas, and I'm not 100% sure why that one person participated, as that is the only one I am aware of and we have an immense collection of family history.

Reactions: perico
Kentucky is southern everywhere but the cincy burbs and Louisville. Not really comparable to those others, IMO. They’re majorly non-southern in culture. With a few southern pockets. Where Kentucky is majorly southern. With a few midwest pockets.
By that description, the lower third of Illinois and Indiana should be quite southern in culture.

Of course it is. Among the states represented in the SEC, the only state that doesn't "feel" Southern in my opinion is Missouri. It's the one exception. It very much is a midwestern state.

Oklahoma is an interesting fusion of midwestern, southwestern, and southern into a single state.
There are a few anomolies as far as what constitutes "southern". Historically, most lines for southern or southeastern centered around civil war alignment. Most people don't include VA or MD as southeastern or southern. Yet VA was ingrained in the south during the war. And MD was a slave state before and during that remained a part of the union states. KY, TN and MO were also divided.

Geographically, I would consider KY, and VA not so much southern, but with border areas that definitely have more of the culture. You may possibly also probably find a swath of southern culture in Indiana and Illinois as they come down as far as most of KY.

Appalacian regions are a whole different culture within the "southern" culture. A vast number of Scots came to those areas as it felt like home to them and didn't really care what you looked like, as long as you weren't in their space. And that's likely true of the whole stretch of Appalicia.

Arkansas? No sir.
Louisiana? Some parts.
Virginia's? LOL
Florida? like uh no

My drift.
When you put the "LOL" next to "Virginia's?" .... I interpret that to mean that you don't think any part of Virginia fits the southern culture.

If you have spent time in Lynchburg, home of Liberty University .... Virginia definitely belongs in the "Some parts" category.

VN Store

Back