It's going to be a great season & here is why...2nd Year Thread

So Dooley performed a "miracle" in '10 when he faced a schedule at least as difficult but with less talent/experience than this team has by a pretty wide margin?

Inheriting a OL with at least 4 guys who will be drafted next spring, two RB's with good numbers from last year and talent, 4 SEC quality QB talents, two DT's that NFL scouts are salivating over, the SEC's leading tackler at MLB, depth all over the DL.... isn't being left with "so little talent that if we win 6 games this year Jones will have more or less worked a miracle."

If Jones cannot win 7 with this roster then the chances are better than not that UT has hired an "average" coach who will never compete for championships in the SEC. I see signs that he may well be better than average and perhaps much better. But you need to be consistent. You threw stones at the notion that Dooley should get adequate time to prove himself as a coach after inheriting and absolute train wreck of a roster... but now want to call Jones a miracle worker if he wins on 6 with this roster?

Either you have let personal dislike of DD to cloud your judgment... or you are priming yourself to turn on Jones when things get difficult too.

You very typically give very well thought out, well reasoned replies and responses. You've clearly demonstrated you know your stuff IMO .... my only difference of opinion with you really is your view of the job Dooley did. We all know that he took over a very difficult situation and I think he did a decent job year one... he couldve/should've won 7 games but didn't because of the mismanagement of thr LSU game and the fact that we got screwed vs UNC in the bowl game. But from there on he failed pretty bad IMO. Plenty of coaches have taken over traditionally powerful and proud programs in the past and have had much more success both in recruiting, building the program and wins than DD had. Of course, Saban comes to mind first but there are many others.

Bottom line, he produced 3 consecutive losing seasons at UT for the first time in 100 years, had 30 or so players leave the program during his tenure and left the cupboard fairly bare in terms of depth at most spots and just talent overall at others. The 2013 class was salvaged from being what looked to be a massive failure by Butch- Of the 21 players signed only 9 had Dooley's fingerprints on them. CBJ got the other 12 in 2 months work.

You have stated prior that Dooley failed at this on field coaching iirc. I believe, in hindsight, listening to many people close to the program, HS coaches, former players, current recruits who rave about the improvements in the feel and energy of the program as they compare their visits now to when Dooley was there.... to me it just all adds up to the idea that Dooley just generally did a poor job not only on the field, but pretty much in every aspect of his job.

While we do have some talent on the roster, we have a very small margin for error to have a winning team at the end of the day. This is probably the culmination of last 6-7 years in general, but a helluva lot can and should be laid at Dooley's feet.

3 years to get his guys in

The fanbase would get frustrated if it takes 3 years IMO. What I dont think people have thought about is the fact that the 2012 class is already thinned out. This means that we are going to have a thin upperclass again.

Davante Bourque: Gone
Daniel McCullers: Gone after next season
Cordarrelle Patterson: Gone
Dante Phillips: Gone
Darrington Sentimore: Gone
Quenshaun Watson: Gone

I think there may be a few more. Plus there is always the possibility of others going in the draft.

Think you got it backwards chief. Oregon -25 is the line. Forgive me if you we're being sarcastic or something.

Early odds on SEC games - SEC Blog - ESPN

If you look at link Espn, it was a typo. Espn predicted us in error to beat them by 25 and only beat Vandy by 1. If you look through the comments an ESPN rep apologized for the confusion. I will take it though. UT over Oregon sounds good to me.

I've been feeling this way for a while, but it's only recently that I've come out with it :crazy:

I truly feel like Tennessee is capable of producing a 9 or 10 win season.

Even when Tennessee recruits bad, those athletes are still talented and skilled young men.

They are young men who can also change their physical stature and skill level. Through dedication and passion in training, teamwork, academic effort, and trust, these guys have the capability of becoming great players and, collectively, a suprisingly good football TEAM.

The top programs may recruit better players in many cases, but those recruits are still humans - they are not from another planet and they do not possess any special powers that allow them to develop in ways other players can not. UT has D-1 players and, with the right motivation and trust, the players can produce at the same level as the nation's best collegiate players.

I'm saying that Tennessee will not suffer blow out losses as a direct result of disparity in talent between the Vols and the opposition. They may suffer losses due to a talent issue, but the loss/es should not be a blow out/s.

Coach Jones & Co. are pushing every person associated with the Volunteer Football Program to become champions in EVERYTHING they do. Regardless of what it is, UT football associates are pushed to be winners, champions in all aspects of their lives.

The translation is available now, we see it with the elite recruits falling in love with UT. They can see the atmosphere changing and they know being a part of this turn-around will benefit them for the rest of their lives, in ways other programs are currently unable to provide.

Being a champion everyday, in everything, is producing results across the board. The commits are recruiting hard, the current players are all-in and working harder than ever before, former players are coming home to be a part of this turn-around, even the fans are feeling the electricity and responding by re-asserting their committment to program support and approval of where Coach Jones is taking our Vols... the rest of the college football landscape is also taking notice!

All this is happening before the first second ticks of the game clock in 2013.

If the Coaches, players, staff, and fans will move into the 2013 regular season and continue being champions in everything they/we do, this will translate to success on the field and the scoreboard... as-well-as in other aspects of their/our lives.

If we can all be champions individually, collectively we will soar. We don't have to win every single individual battle on the field, we must only win more than our opponents.

If we all continue being everyday champions, we will become used to it and expect it.

I believe this is why and how the 2013 Tennessee Volunteers can produce a 9 or 10 win season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Getting tired of the people predicting that we'll only win 5. If CBJ is any kind of coach, and we only win the games where we have a talent advantage we will win 6. The people predicting 9-10 wins are out of their minds though. This team will go 6-6, and possibly 7-5.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
Getting tired of the people predicting that we'll only win 5. If CBJ is any kind of coach, and we only win the games where we have a talent advantage we will win 6. The people predicting 9-10 wins are out of their minds though. This team will go 6-6, and possibly 7-5.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I would be happy with a Vandy win, Missouri, and a random surprise. I think that would be a killer season.

So Dooley performed a "miracle" in '10 when he faced a schedule at least as difficult but with less talent/experience than this team has by a pretty wide margin?

Inheriting a OL with at least 4 guys who will be drafted next spring, two RB's with good numbers from last year and talent, 4 SEC quality QB talents, two DT's that NFL scouts are salivating over, the SEC's leading tackler at MLB, depth all over the DL.... isn't being left with "so little talent that if we win 6 games this year Jones will have more or less worked a miracle."

If Jones cannot win 7 with this roster then the chances are better than not that UT has hired an "average" coach who will never compete for championships in the SEC. I see signs that he may well be better than average and perhaps much better. But you need to be consistent. You threw stones at the notion that Dooley should get adequate time to prove himself as a coach after inheriting and absolute train wreck of a roster... but now want to call Jones a miracle worker if he wins on 6 with this roster?

Either you have let personal dislike of DD to cloud your judgment... or you are priming yourself to turn on Jones when things get difficult too.
As resident couch potato/ coach and my vast knowledge from years of watching CFB I declare that we win nine games. I know, I know you're nuts Dark. I reply never under estimate the power of a first year coach who has instilled a level of confidence I have never seen in this program. Defense will be top ten in the country. Offense top twenty. Anybody want to stand on this limb with me? Don't be scurred. Love, peace and hair grease.

Reactions: 1 person
The fanbase would get frustrated if it takes 3 years IMO. What I dont think people have thought about is the fact that the 2012 class is already thinned out. This means that we are going to have a thin upperclass again.

Davante Bourque: Gone
Daniel McCullers: Gone after next season
Cordarrelle Patterson: Gone
Dante Phillips: Gone
Darrington Sentimore: Gone
Quenshaun Watson: Gone

I think there may be a few more. Plus there is always the possibility of others going in the draft.
Speaking of which whatever happened to Sentimore. I heard Burger King drive thru.

I've been feeling this way for a while, but it's only recently that I've come out with it :crazy:

I truly feel like Tennessee is capable of producing a 9 or 10 win season.

Even when Tennessee recruits bad, those athletes are still talented and skilled young men.

They are young men who can also change their physical stature and skill level. Through dedication and passion in training, teamwork, academic effort, and trust, these guys have the capability of becoming great players and, collectively, a suprisingly good football TEAM.

The top programs may recruit better players in many cases, but those recruits are still humans - they are not from another planet and they do not possess any special powers that allow them to develop in ways other players can not. UT has D-1 players and, with the right motivation and trust, the players can produce at the same level as the nation's best collegiate players.

I'm saying that Tennessee will not suffer blow out losses as a direct result of disparity in talent between the Vols and the opposition. They may suffer losses due to a talent issue, but the loss/es should not be a blow out/s.

Coach Jones & Co. are pushing every person associated with the Volunteer Football Program to become champions in EVERYTHING they do. Regardless of what it is, UT football associates are pushed to be winners, champions in all aspects of their lives.

The translation is available now, we see it with the elite recruits falling in love with UT. They can see the atmosphere changing and they know being a part of this turn-around will benefit them for the rest of their lives, in ways other programs are currently unable to provide.

Being a champion everyday, in everything, is producing results across the board. The commits are recruiting hard, the current players are all-in and working harder than ever before, former players are coming home to be a part of this turn-around, even the fans are feeling the electricity and responding by re-asserting their committment to program support and approval of where Coach Jones is taking our Vols... the rest of the college football landscape is also taking notice!

All this is happening before the first second ticks of the game clock in 2013.

If the Coaches, players, staff, and fans will move into the 2013 regular season and continue being champions in everything they/we do, this will translate to success on the field and the scoreboard... as-well-as in other aspects of their/our lives.

If we can all be champions individually, collectively we will soar. We don't have to win every single individual battle on the field, we must only win more than our opponents.

If we all continue being everyday champions, we will become used to it and expect it.

I believe this is why and how the 2013 Tennessee Volunteers can produce a 9 or 10 win season.
I got a woodie reading this. No homo. Every reason you have stated myself and other Vol fans believe that this is the difference. People say sunshine pumpers but you make a reasonable valid arguments as to what lies ahead THIS season. You go boyee!

As resident couch potato/ coach and my vast knowledge from years of watching CFB I declare that we win nine games. I know, I know you're nuts Dark. I reply never under estimate the power of a first year coach who has instilled a level of confidence I have never seen in this program. Defense will be top ten in the country. Offense top twenty. Anybody want to stand on this limb with me? Don't be scurred. Love, peace and hair grease.

Apparently it was rude of me to assume you were joking. So i'll politely ask "How do you figure that Tennessee will go from #110 to Top 10 in total defense?" Please be specific.

Apparently it was rude of me to assume you were joking. So i'll politely ask "How do you figure that Tennessee will go from #110 to Top 10 in total defense?" Please be specific.
I get the feeling no matter how specific I get you'll shoot it down anyway but ill try. First, we were top 30 two years ago consisting of a bend but don't break defense under Wilcox. We didn't have the best talent but it was enough. We recruited better talent for the next year for a 4-3 but switched to 3-4 which was absurd considering we didn't have the guys for that defense. If everything stayed the same pre 3-4 I believe we would have had a top 10-20 defense in the country. We are now going back to the 4-3 and the transition will not be as difficult as some may think. I noticed in the spring that they were playing faster in the short time they have learned the defense than all of last year. They were less confused and playedwith confidence. By the time fall camp rolls around I believe they'll play without thinking and contrary to what some think if we had the push up front we wouldn't have been as bad as we were last year. Our Dline with McCullers up front I believe will be one of the best in he SEC. For me that's the key. McCullers is leaner, quicker and now has SEC experience so I foresee a defense that shocks the sec this year. We have the speed and talent to compete we just lacked that coach that could bring it out. Now before you go off on me this is just my humble opinion. There's more but that's the abbreviated version.

I'm not going to crap on your thoughts. Instead I'll ask this:

Which of these defenses do you think Tennessee will suddenly be better than? I'm going to post the Top 20, as some teams will obviously get better or worse from year to year:

1. Alabama - 250.0 ypg
2. Florida St - 253.8 ypg
3. BYU - 266.1 ypg
4. Michigan St - 274.4 ypg
5. Florida - 286.7
6. Bowling Green - 296.6 ypg
7. Notre Dame - 305.5 ypg
8. LSU - 307.6 ypg
9. UConn - 309.9 ypg
10. Rutgers - 311.6 ypg
11. South Carolina - 315.5 ypg
12. Boise St - 315.6 ypg
13. Michigan - 320.0 ypg
14. Utah St - 322.1 ypg
15. Wisconsin - 322.6 ypg
16. TCU - 323.9 ypg
17. Pittsburgh - 330.5 ypg
18. Va Tech - 333.2 ypg
19. Vanderbilt - 333.9 ypg
20. Stanford - 336.2 ypg

As a reminder, Tennessee ranked #110 in total defense, giving up 471.3 yards per game. So if '13 roughly resembles '12, the Vols will have to shave off 159.7 ypg to make it to #10 in total defense.

I'm not going to crap on your thoughts. Instead I'll ask this:

Which of these defenses do you think Tennessee will suddenly be better than? I'm going to post the Top 20, as some teams will obviously get better or worse from year to year:

1. Alabama - 250.0 ypg
2. Florida St - 253.8 ypg
3. BYU - 266.1 ypg
4. Michigan St - 274.4 ypg
5. Florida - 286.7
6. Bowling Green - 296.6 ypg
7. Notre Dame - 305.5 ypg
8. LSU - 307.6 ypg
9. UConn - 309.9 ypg
10. Rutgers - 311.6 ypg
11. South Carolina - 315.5 ypg
12. Boise St - 315.6 ypg
13. Michigan - 320.0 ypg
14. Utah St - 322.1 ypg
15. Wisconsin - 322.6 ypg
16. TCU - 323.9 ypg
17. Pittsburgh - 330.5 ypg
18. Va Tech - 333.2 ypg
19. Vanderbilt - 333.9 ypg
20. Stanford - 336.2 ypg

As a reminder, Tennessee ranked #110 in total defense, giving up 471.3 yards per game. So if '13 roughly resembles '12, the Vols will have to shave off 159.7 ypg to make it to #10 in total defense.

UT doesn't have the roster to be a top 10 defense right now. And its yet to be seen if we have a top 10 DC if he had the roster to work with.

Having said that. 110 had as much to do with Sunseri if not more than the roster he was working with. He didn't have top 10 talent either but it was no where near 110.

Having said that. 110 had as much to do with Sunseri if not more than the roster he was working with. He didn't have top 10 talent either but it was no where near 110.

Agreed. It's one thing for a team to lack talent. It's another for those less-talented players to look utterly clueless.

VN Store

Back