It's time for a change

I agree 100%!! I am a KJH fan but believe she has reached her capability as a D1 coach. We have to face one reality some coaches are great mid level coaches but that is all they are or will ever be. Sadly, it is time to move on we have had 12 years of mediocre women's basketball.

Back to NIL, I am willing to chip in 50 bucks to a LV GoFundMe account that will get Caitlin Clark and JuJu Watkins to transfer to the LVs. We just need 5,000, maybe 10,000, okay maybe 100,000 fans to chip in $50 each and we can have it done!! Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Tell me the player he’s brought in and we will go from there.
None of us really know what even KJH is doing behind the scenes but we do know that whatever she and her staff are doing, it is not placing the Lady Vols at the cutting edge of women's basketball, it is not pushing us into the top 25, it is not bringing 5 star recruits clambering to get into our program, however, it does keep pushing our program further down the food chain. Most of all it is undoing all the work Pat put in to make this one of the greatest women's basketball programs of all times.

None of us really know what even KJH is doing behind the scenes but we do know that whatever she and her staff are doing, it is not placing the Lady Vols at the cutting edge of women's basketball, it is not pushing us into the top 25, it is not bringing 5 star recruits clambering to get into our program, however, it does keep pushing our program further down the food chain. Most of all it is undoing all the work Pat put in to make this one of the greatest women's basketball programs of all times.
None of us know what any of them are doing except for the results. Treading water for the last three years, going under and back up never taking that next step to be safe.

Back to NIL, I am willing to chip in 50 bucks to a LV GoFundMe account that will get Caitlin Clark and JuJu Watson to transfer to the LVs. We just need 5,000, maybe 10,000, okay maybe 100,000 fans to chip in $50 each and we have it done!! Easy peasy.
I'll double that if they will sign a one year contract.

Reactions: madtownvol
The first NIL deal Tennessee needs to get signed is Jewel Spear returning for one more year!
Thats facts. Jewel Spear has Twitter in a frenzy right now.. but this ain’t nothing new. Spear is a bucket!

Reactions: Golfteacher
I agree 100%!! I am a KJH fan but believe she has reached her capability as a D1 coach. We have to face one reality some coaches are great mid level coaches but that is all they are or will ever be. Sadly, it is time to move on we have had 12 years of mediocre women's basketball.

Heck ya!!! White should just pick up the phone and hire Dawn Staley. Boom job done!!!

And why stop there? Why settle for lightweights like Heupel and Barnes? Nick Saban and Coach K don't even have coaching jobs right now. White can get them on the cheap.

Who needs a big salary when you can bask in the prestige of the Vol brand.

Women's soccer? Only hire the best! Pep Guardiola is probably tired of living in dreary Manchester UK and would love East Tennessee weather and barbecue.

It is all so simple.

Last edited:
Heck ya!!! White should just pick up the phone and hire Dawn Staley. Boom job done!!!

And why stop there? Why settle for lightweights like Heupel and Barnes? Nick Saban and Coach K don't even have coaching jobs right now. White can get them on the cheap.

Women's soccer? Only hire the best! Pep Guardiola is probably tired of living in dreary Manchester UK and would love East Tennessee weather and barbecue.

It is all so simple.
No it is never that simple and no one is saying it is. However, it appears that we have gone as far as we can with KJH and seems as though it is time to consider other options. The other choice is to stay as is and see where it will lead us, so far it is leading our program further South. Right now the cost for mediocre success is 1.1 million a year. By the way Barnes and Heupel are doing just fine.

No it is never that simple and no one is saying it is. However, it appears that we have gone as far as we can with KJH and seems as though it is time to consider other options. The other choice is to stay as is and see where it will lead us, so far it is leading our program further South. Right now the cost for mediocre success is 1.1 million a year. By the way Barnes and Heupel are doing just fine.
Depends on what the goal is no one has ever defined what the expectations are for the last few years. She has finished in the top 3 most of the seasons she has been here in the SEC. The entire five years she has been here everyone in the SEC has known they are playing for second place. Will be that way until someone figures a way to out recruit South Carolina. Are we going to be able to hire another coach that can out recruit them? Or are we going to hire someone still playing for second place. I'm all in either way cause were going to need some top ten classes and thus far she hasn't been able to provide that in high school recruiting. So I say if we can't see a top ten class in 2025 sure we should end her time as coach. If she can recruit that top ten class I am ready to stay the course cause she can win big with better players. Her problem has been getting enough of them especially where you need them most point guard and Post players.

Depends on what the goal is no one has ever defined what the expectations are for the last few years. She has finished in the top 3 most of the seasons she has been here in the SEC. The entire five years she has been here everyone in the SEC has known they are playing for second place. Will be that way until someone figures a way to out recruit South Carolina. Are we going to be able to hire another coach that can out recruit them? Or are we going to hire someone still playing for second place. I'm all in either way cause were going to need some top ten classes and thus far she hasn't been able to provide that in high school recruiting. So I say if we can't see a top ten class in 2025 sure we should end her time as coach. If she can recruit that top ten class I am ready to stay the course cause she can win big with better players. Her problem has been getting enough of them especially where you need them most point guard and Post players.
KJH has said many time her goal is to compete for nattys. I know all coaches say that but I think she means it. I'm sure the AD would say that's the institution's goal as well.

The key to LV future, with whatever coach, appears to be getting our NIL straightened out to be competitive. Maybe a good thing to come out of the current mess will be a logical reorganization of funding and distribution that would help the LVs keep up. Hopefully donors would be more comfortable in a structured situation with actual agreed upon rules. Also maybe a chance to shift LV NIL from the well-meaning shirtzee sellers to a professional fund-raising organization.

The author of the opinion piece, referenced by Golfteacher, dodges this question by offering the genius recommendation "hey, just hire Dawn Staley. That article may win the award for the most vacuous idea in history. It is the same as saying, circa 1990s, "hey Georgia or Vandy, just hire Pat Summitt."

When you look at realistic prospects versus fantasies, finding a better replacement may not be so easy, if these prospective new coaches, know, as you note, that they will bound by the same NIL disadvantages.

If I were an outsider coaching prospect, I might say, dang, Kellie did just about as well as could be under these conditions, and that still made everyone upset and disappointed. No way am I stepping into that mess.

Sadly, except for a few portal players, KJH’s recruiting has been very suspect with no signs of it getting any better. Hopefully, she can find a big, a wing and a point guard in the portal, keep Wynn, Spear, Key come back one more year, and the one portal guard turn into a very good player along with the 2024 recruit. She would still have Holingshed, the Darbys, Striplin and Pockett. If that all happens, she can put a very good lineup on the floor. Then the big questions will be, can she put the best lineup on the floor the majority of the time, can she coach up what she has, can she make in game changes as necessary, can she change the direction of this program to the point it can compete at the top 25 level, or above, etc.? So far her managing of the program is very suspect.

Last edited:
Sadly, except for a few portal players, KJH’s recruiting has been very suspect with no signs of it getting any better. Hopefully, she can find a big, a wing and a point guard in the portal, keep Wynn, Spear, Key come back one more year, and the one portal guard turn into a very good player along with the 2024 recruit. She would still have Holingshed, the Darbys, Striplin and Pockett. If that all happens, she can put a very good lineup on the floor. Then the big questions will be, can she put the best lineup on the floor the majority of the time, can she coach up what she has, can she make in game changes as necessary, can she change the direction of this program to the point it can compete at the top 25 level, or above, etc.? So far her managing of the program is very suspect.
We will need 4 starters in my opinion, a Pg,C,Sf, and Pf to go with Spear at Sg. The Pg and Sf needs to be elite for us to have a chance next season.

Talaysia Cooper is redshirting this year and has the tools to be a starter at some point in her career. Destinee Wells coming back from injury is going to be a player to watch based on her recovery. Kaniya Boyd seems to be practicing and rehabbing on schedule to be a full go by the summer. Having her on campus right now is huge.
Kaiya Wynn has upside and now playing experience. She could develop into a starter.
The front court positions particularly center and one player that can play both the 3/4 is where the staff should recruit heavy from the portal this off-season.

Define the roles of Jillian, Striplin, and Sara early in the off-season.

The portal additions don’t have to be starters. If Jewel Spear returns along with Tamari Key for another year I don’t care what anybody says this team has a Top 25 roster.

The main goal should be to get to 15 players with the new additions being players that can fit the system, athletic, and young.

Jewel Spear is elite. Tamari Key back at full strength for a 6th year is elite. Talaysia Cooper is a former 5 McD-All American and Kaniya Boyd is rated as one of the top defensive guards in the country.

This team is not starting over from scratch next year.

Reactions: VOLSanon and Majac

It is all so simple.
aauuggghhgerreee. . . I hate it when you're right
And our once golden carrot is/was? going silver
The girls have eight games, with a couple of should-be "piece of cake's" (= little better than cupcakes) ;o), leading into the gauntlet at the end

If they rise up and become what they were projected to be,,,job done
turning gold again

Talaysia Cooper is redshirting this year and has the tools to be a starter at some point in her career. Destinee Wells coming back from injury is going to be a player to watch based on her recovery. Kaniya Boyd seems to be practicing and rehabbing on schedule to be a full go by the summer. Having her on campus right now is huge.
Kaiya Wynn has upside and now playing experience. She could develop into a starter.
The front court positions particularly center and one player that can play both the 3/4 is where the staff should recruit heavy from the portal this off-season.

The portal additions don’t have to be starters. If Jewel Spear returns along with Tamari Key for another year I don’t care what anybody says this team has a Top 25 roster.

The main goal should be to get to 15 players with the new additions being players that can fit the system, athletic, and young.

Jewel Spear is elite. Tamari Key back at full strength for a 6th year is elite. Talaysia Cooper is a former 5 McD-All American and Kaniya Boyd is rated as one of the top defensive guards in the country.

They do not have to start from scratch they
just need to add the right players from the portal, hopefully the two guards Cooper and Boyd can be in the mix. Wynn is a contributor right now. I also like what I have seen from Stricklin. They can have a top 25 roster but they must be coached up like they are a top 25 roster. Right now that is simply not happening.

They do not have to start from scratch they
just need to add the right players from the portal, hopefully the two guards Cooper and Boyd can be in the mix. Wynn is a contributor right now. I also like what I have seen from Stricklin. They can have a top 25 roster but they must be coached up like they are a top 25 roster. Right now that is simply not happening.
Right now, its got to happen
First thing,,,MAKE the tourney
Won't be a NIT acceptance

bc,,,if you think about it, P5 schools with a coach of more than 2-3 years would embarrass itself if they accepted an NIT bid...In its NIT history, the number of coaches with over 3 years in a P5 program accepting a bid is very tiny

Last edited:

well we need skill players and we need depth and not sure i agree with your assessment of "elite" players but hopefully you are correct

Watching Iowa right now Coach Bluder needs to be coaching the LVS next year. Take Maryland coach also she will have a team to beat next year

well we need skill players and we need depth and not sure i agree with your assessment of "elite" players but hopefully you are correct

If you don’t think Jewel Spear is elite that’s your opinion but I’m sticking with mine.
Tamari Key was already a dominant force defensively prior to her medical issue.
This season, she has shown improvement to her offensive skill set. If she returns for an extra year, TK will be an elite two way player.

Right now, its got to happen
First thing,,,MAKE the tourney
Won't be a NIT acceptance

bc,,,if you think about it, P5 schools with a coach of more than 2-3 years would embarrass itself if they accepted an NIT bid...In its NIT history, the number of coaches with over 3 years in a P5 program accepting a bid is very tiny
I am not in favor of an NIT bid. I hope we can win at least 6 of our remaining games, do well in the SEC tournament and receive an NCAA bid. That would be helpful in our portal recruitment.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When was the last time lady Vols were unranked and not receiving votes for top 25? Sorry, Kelly needs to go.
7 games left may win a couple more and thats sad hope DW has been watching only going to get worse. If they make the tournament will be lucky

VN Store

Back