Jabari Small Opts Out of the bowl game

Don't know his reason for this, and to announce it less than a week from the bowl game, but perhaps the practices weren't exactly going his way and he saw his playing time was going to be reduced? Maybe the other guys appear to have stepped up?
đź’µ

Milton/Nico have to be part of the run game.

Not sure how this is a good move for Small.
Small is looking ahead for that NIL deal he is shopping around.

He has been huge as a VOL over three seasons.
He leaves a bigger hole than most guys are giving him credit for.
He has 2118yds (179 fewer yds than Jaylen Wright) with a 5.1yd/carry average and 26TDs in 3 seasons and some change.
Wright is better today, but Small has been the #1 RB over Heupel's tenure.

Small is looking ahead for that NIL deal he is shopping around.

He has been huge as a VOL over three seasons.
He leaves a bigger hole than most guys are giving him credit for.
He has 2118yds (179 fewer yds than Jaylen Wright) with a 5.1yd/carry average and 26TDs in 3 seasons and some change.
Wright is better today, but Small has been the #1 RB over Heupel's tenure.
I felt like all 3 RBs offered a change of pace. Small was a workman, he got tough yards. I don't think he had the break away speed Wright has and the elusiveness that Sampson had, but if he had to be the #1 back he would have filled the role well. He will be missed but Sampson will do fine.

I felt like all 3 RBs offered a change of pace. Small was a workman, he got tough yards. I don't think he had the break away speed Wright has and the elusiveness that Sampson had, but if he had to be the #1 back he would have filled the role well. He will be missed but Sampson will do fine.
Does Sampson get a bump in NIL money because of this?

This leads me to believe he won’t be back next season. I don’t see him being drafted, so I’ll assume he will be transferring. Likely wants to go where he’ll be the featured back and not have to share carries.

Sampson going to run wild against the Hawkeyes
I looked at the stats in their games verse Penn Stat 31 to nothing and Michigan 26 to nothing and not one rusher got over 80 yards even in these blowouts. I'm not sure they have given up 100 to an individual rusher this year. Would love to see Sampson get all the carries Small & Wright get plus his to see if he could topple the Century mark. It looks like their hard to run on. Blake Corum of Michigan, I think had 77 yards he's very good.

Small's carries tailed off drastically this season. Not only that, he seemed to be hurt a lot. If he is not 100%, what does he gain by playing?

This leads me to believe he won’t be back next season. I don’t see him being drafted, so I’ll assume he will be transferring. Likely wants to go where he’ll be the featured back and not have to share carries.
Since when did we start opting out of gamesz then returning the next year? Gosh, the animals are running the zoo if so.

Biggest problem in run game ain't Rbs but O-line. All starters are injured and ain't playing. We've seen how that goes.

His dad Eddie played WR at Ole Miss. Not sure they would offer a scholarship for him but that wouldn’t surprise me either.

Reactions: JRich
Well that sux, Small is making a bonehead decision. He's not ready to play on Sundays and he could really showcase his talents at the bowl game.

Sampson's speed will be harder for Iowa to deal with, but I want him to stay fresh so hopefully the other RBs including Seldon are playing well. Sampson is also more of a danger in the passing game.

I'm excited to see Sampson as RB1. Also looking forward to Seldon getting meaningful snaps. I think he has a high ceiling in this offense.

According to the KnoxNews article embedded above, Small hasn’t been participating in Bowl practices:

“Small did not participate in bowl practices, and he is not traveling with the team here on Wednesday. He has not announced his plans for 2024.”

So apparently, CJH has known Small (and Wright) won’t be playing in the Bowl for some time and has game planned accordingly.
AP has been saying for awhile he expects Small to transfer

The backfield rotation has shrunk heading into the Citrus Bowl.

Expect Sampson to start in the bowl, and he's the frontrunner to take that role next season. Sampson has 471 yards rushing, 175 yards receiving and eight TDs this season.

Freshman Cameron Seldon should step into the rotation. He has 51 yards on 12 carries this season. Freshman Khalifa Keith, who has seven carries for 14 yards, will be the third option.

Rushing yards could be tough to come by. Iowa touts the No. 4 scoring defense in the nation, allowing 13.2 points per game. And it's allowed only four rushing TDs this season, the second-fewest in FBS.

News Sentinel
I have a feeling we’re gonna get punked.

Reactions: CAVPUT
We’ll see flashes of Jalen Hurd when Nico hands the ball off to Joe and then dream about what could have been.

VN Store

Back