Jabari Small Opts Out of the bowl game

Sampson has been the beneficiary of Small and Wright running the ball early in most games, while tiring out the defense. Now Sampson will have to run against fresh defenders.

Also, people seem to be forgetting that our RBs get tired in our offense, and frequently by the second drive of the game are signaling the sideline requesting a substitute.

How are Seldon & Co. at pass protection? How much game experience, and especially when the opposing DC has had a month to prepare some pass rushes that aren't on game film this season?

Sampson going to run wild against the Hawkeyes
I would be completely surprised if Sampson runs wild between the Iowa tackles. Why would you (as we have seen in the past) continue to run into the teeth of their defense? Get Sampson in open space and away he goes. Yeah you have to run some inside to keep them honest but I just don't see us moving the 500 lbers in their line. Yeah, I'm exaggerating but just want to see the right play calling. Make those hogs earn their money running sideline to sideline & wear'em out. Glad I'm not coaching. Didn't look it up but I'm pretty sure we beat them the last time we played Iowa in a bowl. I would expect their run D to be better than or equal to KYs.
Go VOLS!

J. Small stays a VFL in my book. He was a very significant contributor to our resurgence. I hope it's an amicable parting of ways on the hill. I like to think we've out/equal talented him and it's a win win situation. I hope he has an opportunity that utilizes or showcases him more than our scheme is designed to do.

Or if he goes pro, best of luck.

Iowa is physical and very sound fundamentally. Is Sampson an every down back? Can he be physical enough?
He can punch above his weight. I was pleasantly surprised a few times this season to see him take/give heavy hits and keep trucking.

IF he's got the physical stamina to be a true everydown back, I could see him surpassing what J. Wright was able to do.

That said, I'm going with 'Maybe'
Sampson and Seldon show. Tough defense to have your first start against, but if Sampson is the man, he will get it done. If not.....

Reactions: SpookyAction
J. Small stays a VFL in my book. He was a very significant contributor to our resurgence. I hope it's an amicable parting of ways on the hill. I like to think we've out/equal talented him and it's a win win situation. I hope he has an opportunity that utilizes or showcases him more than our scheme is designed to do.

Or if he goes pro, best of luck.
I mostly agree.

I wish he'd played the Bowl game though. With Wright gone he could really have showcased himself against a highly rated defense.

By Monday we can count ourselves lucky if Tennessee or Iowa have anyone playing in the bowl game who started this year.

Sorry - - -
If you do not play in bowl games, you are not a Vol For Life! Not that most of these guys this day and time give a sh--.

Reactions: Sea Ray
Sampson has been the beneficiary of Small and Wright running the ball early in most games, while tiring out the defense. Now Sampson will have to run against fresh defenders.

Also, people seem to be forgetting that our RBs get tired in our offense, and frequently by the second drive of the game are signaling the sideline requesting a substitute.

How are Seldon & Co. at pass protection? How much game experience, and especially when the opposing DC has had a month to prepare some pass rushes that aren't on game film this season?
In a way, it's a bit unfair to throw Nico into the deep end vs Iowa considering the transfer/opt out situation. You are right to be concerned....very concerned...about the pass protection. Throw in the situation with the WRs and it's not hard to imagine a real fuster cluck for the Vols in this game.

Is J. Small going pro or transferring?

Why did he wait so long to opt out? I take it he has been practicing this month

Sampson will need more rest when he starts. Small and Wright have been taking the defenses' best hits in the first half. Sampson has been featured fresh against defenses half a step slower than the beginning of the game.

Sampson will be a different back when starting. We need a classic bruiser RB to offer contrasted attack for defenses to scheme against and complicate their plans.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Sampson will channel his inner Jay Graham and run all over the Citrus Bowl.

Jay Graham was an interesting player: An athletic beast--big and very speedy---but didn't have the eyes that all top backs have. Wasn't good at finding holes. That was always my take on him--and he didn't have a particular good NFL career, as I recall. He did have, what, an 80-yard TD run or somesuch against bama one year, I think.

Reactions: GAVol
Glad to hear it. I appreciate Small but looking forward to seeing what Sampson can do with the lions share of the carries. This is also great opportunity for Seldon

My feeling exactly. Thanks to Jabari for his time here, but let's move on to the young guys, and no better opportunity than in a bowl game.

Jay Graham was an interesting player: An athletic beast--big and very speedy---but didn't have the eyes that all top backs have. Wasn't good at finding holes. That was always my take on him--and he didn't have a particular good NFL career, as I recall. He did have, what, an 80-yard TD run or somesuch against bama one year, I think.
Don't remember the one vs Bama but versus Ohio State we were basically running the clock out for half time and Gramham found open lane sprinted for 80 Yard TD in the pouring rain, got soaked in Orlando but was a great win over the Buckeyes and rounded off a great Citrus Bowl trip.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back