Jaylen Wright and Jabari Small opting out?

A blessing in disguise.
I tend to think of it as natural progression. Anyone opting out is doing so for their own personal/professional futures. And as you stated the “blessing“ comes in the form of experience you can’t get at practice or in a film room. We have seen live reps are sometimes hard to come by with this staff. Having some key pieces to next year’s team taking first team reps during bowl practice seems invaluable. That will be where we develop the leadership for next season. We have some talented pieces to plug in so I hope this is a springboard for off season workouts. We will see how it plays out.

What does portal close have to do with bowl game?
I always seem to find myself looking at a player or 3 that a UT team simply cannot afford to lose to injury and play the what if game. It's the prepper in me I suppose. This season in football it was Mayes, Pili and Bru. In hoops, it was ZZ and we had no answer at PG. Lost 'em all for various periods of time. Next year, it's easy to say who that player is...it's Nico and we have a true freshman and Moore/Shuler as backups. If Milton opts out and Nico were to have an injury in the bowl game that required a long rehab, we'd need to scramble and find someone who could step in for next year. Nothing against the QBs on our roster, but I don't think any of them are prepared to take control and face that schedule next season. We'd need to be hot and heavy in the portal I suspect. Might be wrong, but I think the portal would be closed by the time we play our bowl game, no? Think there's a second one that hopefully comes after spring ball? Yeah, a lot of what ifs, but you and I both have seen a lot of bad luck strike our program across several sports over the decades. You know it's out there just waiting to get us again.

I tend to think of it as natural progression. Anyone opting out is doing so for their own personal/professional futures. And as you stated the “blessing“ comes in the form of experience you can’t get at practice or in a film room. We have seen live reps are sometimes hard to come by with this staff. Having some key pieces to next year’s team taking first team reps during bowl practice seems invaluable. That will be where we develop the leadership for next season. We have some talented pieces to plug in so I hope this is a springboard for off season workouts. so We will see how it plays out.
sorry man. monday morning. will circle back mr wordy words.

Maybe. I am fine with whatever Milton decides to do but would it really benefit him to play? I mean can he play any better than he did against Vandy?
I’m not a NFL scout, but by this point I think they have a good understanding of who he is as a player that one game, good or bad, isn’t going to make much of a difference.

I’m not a NFL scout, but by this point I think they have a good understanding of who he is as a player that one game, good or bad, isn’t going to make much of a difference.
You are probably right. I was just thinking what if he had a terrible game of scouts would hold that against him. Whereas he had a phenomenal game against Vandy. You know go out on a high note. Either way, I support whatever he wants to do.

Completely agree. The upside of making a bowl game in today's CFB landscape is the extra practices and the chance to try out new players. The kids don't care about non-playoff bowls, the fans only do for the trip to somewhere nice (hopefully) and most forget about the outcome by the time the NFL playoffs start. Let some of the younger guys get some reps for next season.
I think the kids mostly do care about the bowls.

-- The seniors are playing their very last college game. THere's a lot of nostalgia driving them in that.
-- The underclassmen are still competing for the starting job (or for the bench warmers of the past season, beginning their competition for 1st string). And this is the big chance to make a last statement before the long down period. Show your chops here, and have a leg up in spring camp.
-- Plus, players just like playing football. Most of them are ultra-competitive, want to win every game they can.

So sure, you see a young man mailing it in from time to time, or even a group of them on one team. But mostly, you see players competing just like any other game.

Go Vols!

Depends on who else opts out. Hate saying it, but I'm starting to see Iowa being more likely to win this game than everyone else wants to believe. Not sure how many starters Iowa is losing to the portal, but it sure looks like our opt outs will be pretty substantial...if not quantity, certainly quality. Our offense has been somewhat challenged when we were at full strength. The idea that we can just plug in backups and be just as effective doesn't wash with me. Even if the talent is superior, the experience and physical maturity will be a weakness. We've been considered a veteran team all season long. If things go as some speculate, we're gonna get much younger at certain critical positions and really fast. Against a hard hitting, disciplined Iowa defense, that might be a tough ask.
I really have no idea at this point.

I always seem to find myself looking at a player or 3 that a UT team simply cannot afford to lose to injury and play the what if game. It's the prepper in me I suppose. This season in football it was Mayes, Pili and Bru. In hoops, it was ZZ and we had no answer at PG. Lost 'em all for various periods of time. Next year, it's easy to say who that player is...it's Nico and we have a true freshman and Moore/Shuler as backups. If Milton opts out and Nico were to have an injury in the bowl game that required a long rehab, we'd need to scramble and find someone who could step in for next year. Nothing against the QBs on our roster, but I don't think any of them are prepared to take control and face that schedule next season. We'd need to be hot and heavy in the portal I suspect. Might be wrong, but I think the portal would be closed by the time we play our bowl game, no? Think there's a second one that hopefully comes after spring ball? Yeah, a lot of what ifs, but you and I both have seen a lot of bad luck strike our program across several sports over the decades. You know it's out there just waiting to get us again.

Portal closes as you say, but there were close to 500 players in the portal before it opened on Dec. 4th. Players are always going into the portal. Most are graduates and players who coaches were fired. But there is always players there.

They worked very hard last spring to get another QB from the portal. An experienced guy who could provide backup for Milton. No one would come because Nico was here. They wanted an opportunity to start in 24 if they were going to backup Milton in 23. Same problem for 24. Any QB they get has to buy in to being the backup and not be a starter. Likely talking an FCS player who might be no better than Gaston Moore.

I understand that room is not where we need it to be but you gotta have someone of quality who is willing to play a backup role.

Sure, If Nico were to get hurt and be out a long time, the situation is more appealing to portal QBs.

Reactions: DaddyChad
Bowl games are becoming more like spring games where their appeal is to see young/inexperienced players get on the field and show what they can do.

Reactions: valoisvol
Tony Basilio website says these two guys will likely opt out of playing in the Citrus Bowl. Are they more concerned about NFL possibilities?

Everything I have read pretty much suggests that Wright is a forgone conclusion that he will enter the draft. No reason to risk injury given the value of RBs in the NFL has shrunk.

I have also read that Small is checking on his draft projection and will make a decision in January, but the expectation is that won't return regardless (i.e. into the portal he goes).

No problem with Wright opting out other than he didn't seem to get the credit and recognition he deserved for being a 1000 yd rusher.
This bowl game against that Iowa rushing defense would be a huge opportunity to showcase why you are the best RB in the SEC.

IF Wright is opting out, then I'm really surprised Small is opting out as it means he is only sharing touches with Sampson for the bowl game and is an opprtunity to showcase talent to scouts.

RBs are simply not valued very highly anymore by the NFL. It's extremely unlikely any NFL talent evaluator's opinion on him is going to be swayed by a Citrus Bowl performance. He only stands to lose money by playing in this game.

Reactions: Vol 67
I'm no scout, but I don't see Small going pro. I think he's destined for the portal. Probably looking for a landing spot now and will do like so many others and announce they're in the portal once they've secured a spot elsewhere.

Probably looking for somewhere that can give him a NIL deal befitting of a starting RB, which the writing on the wall suggests he won't get here.

Reactions: CAVPUT
What if they do?

Bowl game stat: Sampson, 147 yards rushing, 89 yards receiving, 236 total yards.

Means more carries for Sampson, Seldon, Keith, and maybe Bishop(if he’s healthy)
I guess JWF thought we only had the two. In reality, Jabari Small did not contribute much during the season. He only rushed for 475 yards. Dylan Sampson had nearly that many and over 100 yards more receiving.

This is an exhibition game that means nothing BUT practice for next year. U WANT whomever is not on team for next year to opt out. The future is now
It’s not an exhibition game a 9-4 record looks much better than 8-5 and we need to win to finish ranked in the top 25.

Portal closes as you say, but there were close to 500 players in the portal before it opened on Dec. 4th. Players are always going into the portal. Most are graduates and players who coaches were fired. But there is always players there.

They worked very hard last spring to get another QB from the portal. An experienced guy who could provide backup for Milton. No one would come because Nico was here. They wanted an opportunity to start in 24 if they were going to backup Milton in 23. Same problem for 24. Any QB they get has to buy in to being the backup and not be a starter. Likely talking an FCS player who might be no better than Gaston Moore.

I understand that room is not where we need it to be but you gotta have someone of quality who is willing to play a backup role.

Sure, If Nico were to get hurt and be out a long time, the situation is more appealing to portal QBs.
I agree with all you said. My concern/point isn't so much getting a backup from the portal now. That's just not going to happen and you pointed out, by the time we find we need a guy due to an injury, his quality level likely won't be any better than Moore and he knows this system. What I was wondering is if we might be able to take advantage of a second portal after spring ball when guys who know they aren't going to get the starting nod decide to look elsewhere. Maybe we could get our starter from that open portal....assuming there is a second window after spring ball? I seem to think there is a second window but I'm not sure. Might also be able to get some other positions bolstered after spring ball is such an animal exists.

VN Store

Back