Jaylen Wright and Jabari Small opting out?

But historically, they didn't mean a thing and were actually played after the title was awarded, etc. Bowls meaning something more is really more recent than we think.
I loved it when I was a kid. Nothing like all those New Years bowls all day long with fam.

No problem with Wright opting out other than he didn't seem to get the credit and recognition he deserved for being a 1000 yd rusher.
This bowl game against that Iowa rushing defense would be a huge opportunity to showcase why you are the best RB in the SEC.

IF Wright is opting out, then I'm really surprised Small is opting out as it means he is only sharing touches with Sampson for the bowl game and is an opprtunity to showcase talent to scouts.
This Bowl game doesn't matter that much. If it was one of the biggies, maybe so. I would like to see a lot more of the young RBs in this game.

Tony Basilio website says these two guys will likely opt out of playing in the Citrus Bowl. Are they more concerned about NFL possibilities?
I’d say we will see several guys with NFL hopes opt out. The bowl doesn’t mean anything to them and really only presents risk.

I think the kids mostly do care about the bowls.

-- The seniors are playing their very last college game. THere's a lot of nostalgia driving them in that.
-- The underclassmen are still competing for the starting job (or for the bench warmers of the past season, beginning their competition for 1st string). And this is the big chance to make a last statement before the long down period. Show your chops here, and have a leg up in spring camp.
-- Plus, players just like playing football. Most of them are ultra-competitive, want to win every game they can.

So sure, you see a young man mailing it in from time to time, or even a group of them on one team. But mostly, you see players competing just like any other game.

Go Vols!
Nostalgia went out NIL came in! Players play a different tune these days! “Win one for the Gipper” is now “show me the money”

I have been watching college football for over 60 years. I am convinced it is being destroyed more everyday . I hate to sound so negative but I am yet to see any changes that I consider as positives. Now, for those who opt out...................................nothing more than saying to hell with my team because I am more important than my teammates and fellow Vols. It also says to me that winning makes no difference because I am leaving anyway. Vol for life ??? Don't think so !
Agree the NIL and transfer portal is ruining college football. I don't see how the NIL can maintain if it's current momentum with the ever rising costs associated. I think sooner than later the NCAA will have a spending cap much like the rookie contracts. It's ridiculous to see the amount of money being paid to unproven HS stars and some transfer portal players.

This bowl game is really shaping up to be unwatchable, thank you College Football!
I think if they want to save the non playoff bowl games, play them the week after the Conf Championship games -- waiting a month and having all these opt outs and transfers is too long

A board full of phony NFL scouts who like to make condescending comments about every player yall can for the next guy. Then you will make condescending comments about them too. This opting out stuff is disappointing. Who wants to pay for tickets for these bowl games where 6 to 10 players may not play because of their own choice.

Everyone knew those two would likely not play. He's not breaking news here. Wright is headed to the NFL and Small sees the writing on the wall with his carries. If he wants to be a headliner, he has to go elsewhere. My question is about Milton. With his senior bowl invite, I think the probability that he opts out increases greatly. Just pray that our OL is available and we can keep Nico healthy in the bowl game since by the time we play, the portal will be closed...I think? At the end of the day, NFL caliber guys all bleed green.
Joe isn't opting out of no Bowl game. As much as everyone places fault on him, his lack of touch, scared to tuck & run, stares down receivers. One thing Joes isn't is a quite. Say what you want about him, cause leaders lead from the front. Joe has always done that.

We don't need Wright nor Small. Sampson and Seldon are more than capable of getting it done. All they need is opportunity. We'll be fine. Just like we were when Tillman and Hooker went down and we still finished 11-2.

Ill be pissed too but there is a thread of rumors and such on the subject
Oh, I know. I’ve heard the rumblings. I’m hoping he sees he is likely to be the featured back next season.

Reactions: 508mikey
You’ll see more players around college opting out their bowl games if they feel like they’ll be a 1st rounder or a higher 2nd .
The players that are 1st-2nd rounders that are playing in the playoffs won’t

VN Store

Back