Joe Tessitore at SEC Media Days - "There's a line separating rivalries like TSIO from the best rivalries."

Voltopia

Score fast, score hard, no mercy.
Joe Tessitore's been riding the Texas-OU jock all day, calling it the best rivalry in the conference. But that wasn't enough, he had to make it clear that the other SEC rivalries, save the Iron Bowl, do not match up with the blessed Red River Shootout.

Paraphrasing slightly -

"Then you have rivalries like the Third Saturday in October and the Egg Bowl, and then there's a line. *paused for effect* And above that line are the bigtime rivalries. The Cotton Bowl and the Iron Bowl."

He then went on to cite the pageantry of the Cotton Bowl and the Texas State Fair as reasons for naming the Red River Shootout the best rivalry in the SEC. Said it had a different atmosphere that elevated it above the others. He also managed to get in the comment that the Iron Bowl was "parochial." Said it only looked inward, while the Cotton Bowl was bigger and more prominent, which only added to its status as the top pick.

And before you give me any gripes about "don't you have something better to do," it's the middle of July and kickoff isn't for another month so no, I don't have anything better to do.

TSIO takes a back seat to none. Yeah it's been a few years since we held up our end of the deal, but I dare you to find anyone who would genuinely say that the games these past few years haven't been bangers. 22 especially, that was one of the best atmospheres sport has ever seen.

TSIO takes a back seat to none. Yeah it's been a few years since we held up our end of the deal, but I dare you to find anyone who would genuinely say that the games these past few years haven't been bangers. 22 especially, that was one of the best atmospheres sport has ever seen.

That was the first thing I thought as well. When was the last time any of those other rivalries gave the sport moments like Knoxville did in 2022? I mean, hell, when is the last time Texas and OU went to war like UT and Alabama did after the Albert Means fiasco? Fulmer, Logan Young, the FBI, all that mess. And even outside of UT and Alabama, when's the last time you heard of anything approaching the Toomer's Corner incident with Auburn?

I've been to several Red River Shootouts. They're cool. Well, no, actually they're normally hot as hell because they kick off before noon, but I digress. It's an awesome game in its own right, but to put it on a pedestal over the granddaddy games of the SEC is just too rich in my book.

Joe Tessitore's been riding the Texas-OU jock all day, calling it the best rivalry in the conference. But that wasn't enough, he had to make it clear that the other SEC rivalries, save the Iron Bowl, do not match up with the blessed Red River Shootout.

Paraphrasing slightly -

"Then you have rivalries like the Third Saturday in October and the Egg Bowl, and then there's a line. *paused for effect* And above that line are the bigtime rivalries. The Cotton Bowl and the Iron Bowl."

He then went on to cite the pageantry of the Cotton Bowl and the Texas State Fair as reasons for naming the Red River Shootout the best rivalry in the SEC. Said it had a different atmosphere that elevated it above the others. He also managed to get in the comment that the Iron Bowl was "parochial." Said it only looked inward, while the Cotton Bowl was bigger and more prominent, which only added to its status as the top pick.

And before you give me any gripes about "don't you have something better to do," it's the middle of July and kickoff isn't for another month so no, I don't have anything better to do.
Who is Joe Testicle?

Who is Joe Testicle?

One of the main announcers for ESPN College Football. Here's his voice - you'll recognize it when you hear it. He anchors the second or third string team, I forget which. Actually, he may have moved up since last I checked. For a time he also worked on the SEC Network / SEC Nation, but that was ages ago.

tessticle.jpg

Reactions: 08Vol
We could split the series 50/50 every other year for the last 50 years and TTSIO would still not be as big a game to Bama as the Iron Bowl is.

I wish it wasn't so painful for some UT fans to just admit it. As I've said many times, geography is a thing that matters, and the University of Tennessee did not draw the state lines. It isn't our fault that the other SEC school in our state is barely an SEC school at all.

There's a world where your most important games not being their most important games is an advantage.

It sucks, but he's right.

For sure. If Alabama and Tennessee are both good, which hasn't been a frequent occurrence as of late but hopefully is going forward, TSIO gets College Gameday. It's a game you can sell very easily when it involves Top 10/Top 15 teams.

Red River Shootout, the Iron Bowl, "The Game," Army/Navy... those are national storyline games regardless of team ranking.

One of the main announcers for ESPN College Football. Here's his voice - you'll recognize it when you hear it. He anchors the second or third string team, I forget which. Actually, he may have moved up since last I checked. For a time he also worked on the SEC Network / SEC Nation, but that was ages ago.

View attachment 659380
He is usually teamed with Greg McElroy. Good luck

Reactions: Frozevol

Paraphrasing slightly -

I like Joe but there’s a reason he’s signed on to be a wrestling announcer. Master of exaggeration. Texas-Oklahoma is a great rivalry no doubt but they are in with the big boys now. There are plenty of huge rivalry games and they’ll find that out.

Another poor, poor pitiful me thread. I think we might set a record today. We've got an opportunity to shut these people up on the field, until we do, we aren't going to get any respect. We have the 46th most wins in CFB in the 21st century, no one outside of our fanbase is going to pretend like its 1989-2001 again until we make them.

In 22, Bama was physically scared when they came into the stadium. It was like coming into the Roman Colosseum, and they were the ones being fed to the lions that day.

Its catastrophically ignorant to state that a rivalry THAT HAS NEVER EVER EVEN BEEN PLAYED IN THE SEC is the best rivalry in the SEC?

I will give him that it's a great rivalry and was by far the best rivalry game in the Big 12, but for it to all of a sudden become the best in a league they just moved into is completely absurd.

VN Store

Back