Joe Tessitore at SEC Media Days - "There's a line separating rivalries like TSIO from the best rivalries."

Tex A&m is back to being little brother, OK vs TEX (red river) only real game either team used to play. TSIO doesn't have a gimmicky name like Iron bowl or Egg Bowl (both fine rival games) it is simply the date that is set aside for the two most storied SEC football teams play each year for bragging rights and a fine cigar.
Having said this, Buck Fama!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Was there not a time where TSIO was bigger than the iron bowl?
Yes. Auburn renewed the rivalry with Alabama in 1948. They had not played each other in decades because they could not behave. I do not think Bear Bryant ever played against Auburn as a player. The TSIO was a rivalry because of UT upsetting Alabama in 1929. Re: Gene McEver.

Again, college football keeps screwing things up. The Iron Bowl was probably the top rivalry until they stopped playing the game at a neutral site with a split crowd. I think Auburn hurt themselves by insisting on playing home games against Alabama and UT. When they played games in Birmingham their image was enhanced by being at the top of the media marquee.

Outside of Tennessee and a small section of Bama fans, Joe is correct.
I think it's a little bigger than that, but I totally get what Tessitore is saying. It's been a weird series that's been streaky for literally 70 years. Tennessee and Alabama have tended to pass each other in opposite directions as far as national relevancy.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I think it's a little bigger than that, but I totally get what Tessitore is saying. It's been a weird series that's been streaky for 50 years. Tennessee and Alabama have historically had an odd way of passing by each other going in opposite directions as far as being relevant nationally.
Yep. It's kind of harsh to say but to anybody who isn't a Tennessee fan, TSIO is overrated. For as many times as the game has been played, it's amazing how few games there have been where both teams were ranked. There have only been 12 in my lifetime and I am 37 years old. For comparison, 22 Michigan/Ohio St games have been played over that same timeframe where both were ranked.

Only 15 Iron Bowls have been played where both were ranked, but those games seem to have had so many more notable moments.

Reactions: onevol74
Yep. It's kind of harsh to say but to anybody who isn't a Tennessee fan, TSIO is overrated. For as many times as the game has been played, it's amazing how few games there have been where both teams were ranked.

The crazy thing is to look at the results and notice how rare it is for one team to NOT be on a winning streak. There have only been something like 5 one off wins in the last 75 years.

EDIT: LOL, I just looked and it's worse than I thought. 9 "one off" wins by either team in 123 years!?!

Reactions: 05_never_again
The crazy thing is to look at the results and notice how rare it is for one team to NOT be on a winning streak. There have only been something like 5 one off wins in the last 75 years.

EDIT: LOL, I just looked and it's worse than I thought. 9 "one off" wins by either team in 123 years!?!
Yeah. With a couple of exceptions, it's been extremely streaky since the 50s. Meaning like 4-5 year streaks at an absolute minimum.

A quote from a gump buddy" auburn is to us what vand is to ya'll".Take that for what its worth. Don't know if that all, some or most. Just what he thinks
I'm 30 and I don't remember the iron bowl being hyped up until Cam Newton.

Then when I go back and watch old TN Bama games from before our dark days, the announcers always seemed to hold TSIO with a greater reverence than they have lately.

Just as the win column of the TSIO is streaky, so too is its national importance.

Back when it was first called that, when the Third Saturday in October came to mean more than just a day on the calendar, was one of those times of importance. 1939 was the year, and Robert Neyland was on top of the world. One of the best active coaches in the sport, he faced off that season against a #8 Bama team that had just beaten the Vols two years prior. It seemed to those watching that a lot was at stake. The Vols won handily, but the game got its name.

After that things went back and forth for a decade or so, perhaps the least streaky time in the series' history. Between '40 and '50, the Vols won four times, the Tide won four, and they tied twice.

Then it went back to streaky, with Neyland retiring from the field in '52 but Tennessee still dominating the 1950s, followed by Bear Bryant's arrival in Tuskaloosa in 1959 and the streak flip-flopping in his favor.

1940 to 1966 was a good example of, and partial explanation for, the streaks: over that roughly quarter-century, there were 12 games where one team or the other was ranked...but only two matches with both ranked.

BUT...

But there were two periods heavy on the ranked-vs-ranked matches: '67 to '79 had 7 such contests ... and '89 to '05 had 9 of them. Those were the Dickey-Battle versus Bryant, and the Majors-Fulmer versus rotating Bryant acolytes* years.

And that's when the TSIO rises to the same level of national awareness and importance as matches like Ohio State-Michigan, the Red River Rivalry, Army-Navy, the Iron Bowl, and so on. When two ranked teams are, more often than not, playing at the top of the sport.

We'll get back there. Soon. Knowing the streaky nature of TSIO, I'm not sure Bama will still be there to greet us, but we'll play them even if they suck. If they're good, it will become a nationally celebrated annual rivalry match again.

That's all it takes.

Go Vols!

* Curry, Stallings, Dubose, Franchione, Shula.

Last edited:
That was the first thing I thought as well. When was the last time any of those other rivalries gave the sport moments like Knoxville did in 2022? I mean, hell, when is the last time Texas and OU went to war like UT and Alabama did after the Albert Means fiasco? Fulmer, Logan Young, the FBI, all that mess. And even outside of UT and Alabama, when's the last time you heard of anything approaching the Toomer's Corner incident with Auburn?

I've been to several Red River Shootouts. They're cool. Well, no, actually they're normally hot as hell because they kick off before noon, but I digress. It's an awesome game in its own right, but to put it on a pedestal over the granddaddy games of the SEC is just too rich in my book.
Facts, it's not a real rivalry if people don't go to jail over it or get the Feds involved 😂🤣😂. The Iron bowl has literally destroyed families and cost lives. TSIO will always be relevant because nobody has beaten Bama more times than us.

Everything is bigger in Texas, including egos and self-worth. UTjr and OK are used to being the biggest and most influential teams in their conference, I think (and hope) they will have a rude introduction to reality this season.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The rivalry lost its oxygen when Dooley became HC.
I remember the game when Kiffin was HC. It was still a big rivalry, but not considered a close match between talent, and the UT gameplan almost worked. Then there was one competitive game in the next 13 years. No rivalry is important when one team can't hold up its end of making the games exciting and meaningful. TSIO became gilded because we weren't very good.

The rivalry lost its oxygen when Dooley became HC.
I remember the game when Kiffin was HC. It was still a big rivalry, but not considered a close match between talent, and the UT gameplan almost worked. Then there was one competitive game in the next 13 years. No rivalry is important when one team can't hold up its end of making the games exciting and meaningful. TSIO became gilded because we weren't very good.
I don't disagree with this. However, just remember there were numerous articles written before Saban and our coaching wilderness following Fulmer wondering if it should still be considered a rivalry THE OTHER way around. Tennessee had Bama's number and people were literally questioning it's importance. I moved to Birmingham for business in '97 (yes still here) and had two vanity Power-T plates literally broken off the front of my car. That's how much they hated us then... Winning has a way of switching things around. For the first time in a long time, feels like that's coming again sooner than later. Trust me, Bama fans are very uneasy right now...

I don't disagree with this. However, just remember there were numerous articles written before Saban and our coaching wilderness following Fulmer wondering if it should still be considered a rivalry THE OTHER way around. Tennessee had Bama's number and people were literally questioning it's importance. I moved to Birmingham for business in '97 (yes still here) and had two vanity Power-T plates literally broken off the front of my car. That's how much they hated us then... Winning has a way of switching things around. For the first time in a long time, feels like that's coming again sooner than later. Trust me, Bama fans are very uneasy right now...
I clearly remember us dominating Bama during Fulmer's tenure.
Fulmer had Bama's number and they HATED us. The Iron Bowl was not their biggest rivalry until Cam Newton.

Fulmer's #1 accomplishment was the natty.
#2 was he owned Bama. He got John Major's monkey off of his back. I 100% expected us to pull out a win, even if we did not play well, just like UF could count on pulling one out against us.

Prior to 2005, everyone (except UF and, then, Mark Richt) hated to play us. We rolled into their stadiums and won.
CBS fluffed Fulmer and the VOLS for a decade and a half just like they have for Saban and the Tide for about the same length of time.
I roll my eyes a bit at members who hate the way Gary and CBS catered to Bama and UGA. They covered our games the same way until Fulmer/UT's reduction of stature.
After 2005, we were becoming 2nd tier when we were the 3rd best team in the East. Fulmer's replacements cemented that placement in the pecking order.

Last edited:
I didn't even know texas and Oklahoma was a rival. I assumed they were because they were the biggest fish in a little pond for such a long time, but I've not heard anybody really talk about it being some big thing...but then again I don't keep up with big 12 or whatever they were in.
It became a huge rivalry when Texas was in SWC and Oklahoma was in the Big 8

Reactions: WillisWG

VN Store

Back