Joe Tessitore at SEC Media Days - "There's a line separating rivalries like TSIO from the best rivalries."

Joe Tessitore's been riding the Texas-OU jock all day, calling it the best rivalry in the conference. But that wasn't enough, he had to make it clear that the other SEC rivalries, save the Iron Bowl, do not match up with the blessed Red River Shootout.

Paraphrasing slightly -

"Then you have rivalries like the Third Saturday in October and the Egg Bowl, and then there's a line. *paused for effect* And above that line are the bigtime rivalries. The Cotton Bowl and the Iron Bowl."

He then went on to cite the pageantry of the Cotton Bowl and the Texas State Fair as reasons for naming the Red River Shootout the best rivalry in the SEC. Said it had a different atmosphere that elevated it above the others. He also managed to get in the comment that the Iron Bowl was "parochial." Said it only looked inward, while the Cotton Bowl was bigger and more prominent, which only added to its status as the top pick.

And before you give me any gripes about "don't you have something better to do," it's the middle of July and kickoff isn't for another month so no, I don't have anything better to do.

Texas A&M will be looking to kick Texas's ass in all sports.

Reactions: headhunter15
That was the first thing I thought as well. When was the last time any of those other rivalries gave the sport moments like Knoxville did in 2022? I mean, hell, when is the last time Texas and OU went to war like UT and Alabama did after the Albert Means fiasco? Fulmer, Logan Young, the FBI, all that mess. And even outside of UT and Alabama, when's the last time you heard of anything approaching the Toomer's Corner incident with Auburn?

I've been to several Red River Shootouts. They're cool. Well, no, actually they're normally hot as hell because they kick off before noon, but I digress. It's an awesome game in its own right, but to put it on a pedestal over the granddaddy games of the SEC is just too rich in my book.
The Third Saturday in October is my favorite out of all. But anytime you support the rivalry with two things that happened 20 years apart kinda makes the point for Tessatore.

The Red River rivalry is not been played in the SEC yet. And the fact that it was played at noon always throws me off. It’s too early. There have been some good games though.

The only reason Texas-OU is as big of a rivalry as it is, is becuase the rest of both their schedules are weak and the winner was in prime position to win the conference and for bowl/CFP positioning. The same could be said for Ohio State vs Michigan.

With both teams now in the SEC, the rivalry is likely going to lose some of its appeal. Both teams now have a gauntlet of a schedule and it less likely for the game to still have as much external meaning. In the SEC, your conference games hold more weight. The stakes are higher. Winning is harder. Texas and OU will have plenty more to worry about than just their little rivalry.

Tessitore needs to look at texass tromping such high teams as SMU ,Texas Tech,Iowa St. others. After this year of an easy welcome schedule,let texass thrive on Ga.,Ala.,LSU,Tenn. Fl. and Miss.Give them Okla.'s schedule and see how they would do.As WoodsmanVol said,"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
The only reason Texas-OU is as big of a rivalry as it is, is becuase the rest of both their schedules are weak and the winner was in prime position to win the conference and for bowl/CFP positioning. The same could be said for Ohio State vs Michigan.

With both teams now in the SEC, the rivalry is likely going to lose some of its appeal. Both teams now have a gauntlet of a schedule and it less likely for the game to still have as much external meaning. In the SEC, your conference games hold more weight. The stakes are higher. Winning is harder. Texas and OU will have plenty more to worry about than just their little rivalry.
That was only true in the 2000s.

TSIO is awesome, my favorite rivalry, a TN tradition but from a 100 year historical perspective. The Iron Bowl, Red River Rivalry, and MI-Ohio State are bigger rivalries.

UGA-Auburn (played more than anyone in the south) then TSIO and Egg Bowl are next. Much bigger than PAC 12 rivalries. TSIO biggest issue for all except a few seasons last 20-30 years is on team being much better than the other for several years in a row

I know people don’t want to hear this, but when you lose to a team 16 out of 17 years, the game starts to lose its luster. But I think Heup can make this rivalry great again.
Ask Vanderbilt. That's a good point. Even in those years, Auburn was able to get a few W's against the Tide and even LSU. We couldn't and the one win we got was by a gnat's eyelash. It's a new world with NIL and transfer portal. We have a good coach, but more importantly, we have a good collective - and that seems to be what matters. I'm comfortable saying in the new era, with Saban being gone, it's quite possible Bama could have a few bad years upcoming. They will still be good, but their spoiled fanbase will melt down if that happens.

There may not be a TSIO when they start the schedules for 2026. I know we won't play in the swamp again for a very long time, and dang I'd like that losing streak to go away. Face it, the first domino fell when Kiffin left and Dooley, Jones and Pruitt didn't do us any favors. The TSIO needs to be relevant again and with all the teams in the SEC now, it may be gone like our Rivalry with Auburn disappeared.

Reactions: KittenVol
TSIO takes a back seat to none. Yeah it's been a few years since we held up our end of the deal, but I dare you to find anyone who would genuinely say that the games these past few years haven't been bangers. 22 especially, that was one of the best atmospheres sport has ever seen.
We gonna need to start winning some. 1 every 15 years isn't much of a rivalry

That was only true in the 2000s.

TSIO is awesome, my favorite rivalry, a TN tradition but from a 100 year historical perspective. The Iron Bowl, Red River Rivalry, and MI-Ohio State are bigger rivalries.

UGA-Auburn (played more than anyone in the south) then TSIO and Egg Bowl are next. Much bigger than PAC 12 rivalries. TSIO biggest issue for all except a few seasons last 20-30 years is on team being much better than the other for several years in a row
I'm not making an argument defending TSIO as much as I'm giving an explaination why RR and UM-OSU are so big. The RR will lose some if its luster though. Weak schedules is what makes the rivalries so great. That changes this season.

Reactions: 44DivePlay
One year of relevance and Texas is already the best, sheesh give me a break. This guys is just doing his job and hyping sh*t up for the money. Everyone relax.

Reactions: white65
He’s a mouthpiece. He’s obviously talking up TU and OK so that they’ll be ‘accepted’ within the SEC and show that ‘Hey guys! We have traditions just like you do! No, really! Ours are even better!’ It’s a load of crap.
The TSIO in ’22 was the greatest game of football I’ve ever witnessed and will be remembered for generations. I can’t say I’ve ever heard of the Cotton Bowl having a game like that. Just give it time. I think most(in the media especially) are waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of our program trajectory. Most of them think ‘22 was a fluke and can’t be replicated by Heupel again.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
tx (lowercase on purpose) and ok know the SEC schedule is tough but they just can’t understand the gauntlet they are about to endure week after week. No one understands it until they have to do it. Their time of understanding grows near.

Reactions: VolRage
Joe Tessitore's been riding the Texas-OU jock all day, calling it the best rivalry in the conference. But that wasn't enough, he had to make it clear that the other SEC rivalries, save the Iron Bowl, do not match up with the blessed Red River Shootout.

Paraphrasing slightly -

"Then you have rivalries like the Third Saturday in October and the Egg Bowl, and then there's a line. *paused for effect* And above that line are the bigtime rivalries. The Cotton Bowl and the Iron Bowl."

He then went on to cite the pageantry of the Cotton Bowl and the Texas State Fair as reasons for naming the Red River Shootout the best rivalry in the SEC. Said it had a different atmosphere that elevated it above the others. He also managed to get in the comment that the Iron Bowl was "parochial." Said it only looked inward, while the Cotton Bowl was bigger and more prominent, which only added to its status as the top pick.

And before you give me any gripes about "don't you have something better to do," it's the middle of July and kickoff isn't for another month so no, I don't have anything better to do.
Joe Tessitore is terrible, his voice is like finger nails on a chalk board. Get ready. This is the beginning of the indoctrination that we don't need to have TSIO every year. Adding Texas and Oklahoma is going to destroy some of the greatest rivalries and and yearly games. The SEC is now given total control over to ESPN money, money, money

Reactions: onevol74

Paraphrasing slightly -

I can’t wait until we prove to both of those schools that they have absolutely no business being in the SEC. They are not SEC schools and never will be.

False narrative in your first paragraph

Reactions: 08Vol
We are one of two in the last two years. Try to keep up, bro.
Assume you were joking. That's like Vandy bragging they have the best punter in the SEC. I do believe it can start becoming a rivalry now but lets win a few before we can claim its a rivalry again.

Last edited:
Flame away, but he isn't wrong. TSIO is one of the more overrated rivalries. Look at the game historically. Over the years, there have been relatively few games played where both Tennessee and Alabama are good and the game has SEC or national title implications. Games like last year and especially 2022 are the exception, not the norm. It doesn't have as many memorable moments like other big rivalries do.

I don’t know that there will be a better crowd in any sport this year than when Texas visits College Station . That’s gonna be insane
Perhaps my judgment on this has been recently skewed because I spent a lot of time around A&M fans in Omaha, but I think it is quite possible that the emotion around the Texas/Texas A&M rivalry exceeds that of the Iron Bowl and is the most heated rivalry in the country. The reason I say "emotion" instead of hate/dislike is because that rivalry isn't simply about dislike.

Texas fans look at A&M as an object of disgust, like gum on the bottom of their shoe. A&M fans look at Texas with a truly bizarre, clinically-diagnosable range of emotions. Hate, envy, jealousy, contempt, and paranoia. I've never seen anything like it in any other rivalry. Two-thirds of A&M's fight song is taking shots at Texas and not even about their own school. To say that they have a hang-up with Texas doesn't even begin to describe it. We ran into probably 10 different groups of A&M fans over 3 days and within 90 seconds of each interaction, they brought up Texas on their own to slam them in some way. It was funny the first couple of times, but as every single one of them kept doing it I was like "Guys, they aren't even here." lol

Eh whatever, up till last year Texas hadn’t been relevant since Mack Brown left. I get they’re trying to hype up those additions but by in large no one gives a crap about Oklahoma or Texas.

VN Store

Back