John Chavis for DC?

I was listening to one sports talk radio show, not sure if it was Josh and Swain in Knoxville or RKW on 1045 zone in Nashville... but AP was on both is week, and on one of them he mentioned not to expect any defensive staff changes... a little disappointing. I think Martinez is a decent recruiter but I do feel like the DBs always struggle under him, back during Butch's era and even now under Heup.. I would like to see us hire a DB coach who can develop and coach an aggressive secondary and recruit well... the best teams in CFB always have good secondary's.

If this is the case why doesn’t Martinez have a new contract?

I don't support getting rid of Banks but I think we really need to pull something from Saban playbook and bring in an "advisor" or another assistant to improve this secondary.

I would be fine with keeping Banks if he made Zook the DB coach or hired that young guy and made Zook an advisor.

What do you guys think about bringing Chief back John Chavis? He was a great DC and is still young enough and has a few good coaching years left he would def be a upgrade over Tim Banks
Oh, you mean that guy that always went to the prevent defense just so we could lose the game. That John Chavis!

Reactions: volpass
If that had happened, the Vols would have missed out on at least 2 SECCG appearances and 3 New Year's Day Bowls
As with every "what-if" it depends on the hire. Fulmer is certainly not the only coach that was capable of leading us to SEC championships and NY bowls.
Guess Dickey would have been the AD then so a much better chance of getting a good coach than when Mike Hamilton was AD.

As with every "what-if" it depends on the hire. Fulmer is certainly not the only coach that was capable of leading us to SEC championships and NY bowls.
Guess Dickey would have been the AD then so a much better chance of getting a good coach than when Mike Hamilton was AD.
Free to have your opinions on this. Facts indicate Vols were winning the East every 3 years while he was here and they haven't won it since.

People keep thinking we need to find a new DC.

We don't. We have a DC.

And contrary to the opinions of a vocal minority in these boards (who keep making new threads about it), he's a really good one.

Go Vols!
"Really" good is a bit of a stretch.

He definitely doesn't deserve the amount of hate he gets on here tho.

Needs better athletes in the secondary

VN Store

Back