John Chavis for DC?

Actually it’s perfectly rational our DC stinks and needs to go he’s had three full seasons and that’s enough but Heup isn’t going to make any coaching changes to save his life. So welcome back Banks and Willie to 2024 and you will get the same results.

Do you know even know the definition of "rational".......🤣

Some of y'all ain’t ever going to get it! A good QB with a good OL and elite WR’s are going to make the best defenses look bad. The Offense always has the advantage and always will. They do it in the pros every Sunday and they do it in College every Saturday! All y’all hollering for a new DC need to learn how to watch a f^%*#%^ football game.

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK 👏 👏 👏 👏

Can we contain all this BS in one thread? Possibly starting banning posters that are making multiple threads about the same thing?
The Problem is not everyone is on VN 24/7 like some people. If you don’t like a thread being repeated, why not just pass it on by? Geez. You don’t have to be on every thread

People keep thinking we need to find a new DC.

We don't. We have a DC.

And contrary to the opinions of a vocal minority in these boards (who keep making new threads about it), he's a really good one.

Go Vols!

This. Good grief. We have the 38th ranked defense this season with our best starting LB Pili gone all season and a piecemeal secondary that is super young getting torched sometimes. We had the best rushing defense in the SEC for most of the season too...not sure where we finished though. When we actually have more speed and depth in the secondary, Banks will have a top25 defense in a class or 2, despite our tempo offense giving opponents more posessions and time on the field than they would get playing anyone else.

We were also top10 nationally this season with 36 sacks, and nearly as high in TFLs behind the LOS. The defensive line is talented and deep...and it looks like our veteran DTs are probably coming back next season for a covid year to improve their draft positions. They will be our strongest unit on defense again next season, maybe strongest unit on the team period.

I had my doubts a little last season, but Banks defense has improved every season both in stats and the eyeball test. As our talent has improved, so has our defense. I am still not sold on Martinez developing talent at DB though....if he IS developing kids then next season we should be starting some 2023 guys at corner and safety. We brought in a dozen new DBs last season...we need them to contribute next season and the secondary should be improved. If we still cannot cover the forward pass next season and have to give WR 7 to 10 yard cushions on 3rd down to keep the DBs from getting torched over the top....Martinez needs to go. Unfortunately, his contract is up after this season, so we probably sign him again to a short term deal while still being unsure about his aptitude. Hopefully it is money well spent as we continue to improve back there...

It's rare to see a thread with so many different views of delusion present.

People acting as if Chavis didn't consistently produce a top 10 defense, including the defense that heavily carried us to our most recent national championship.

People acting as if hiring Chavis in 2023 makes much sense.

People acting as if Banks has done a poor job/needs to be fired.

So much of this fanbase could use help.

If we had a roster like Georgia or Alabama, one guy goes down, run out another high 4 or 5 * and continue. Tennessee is still trying to get to that level, and gaining, but are not there right now. Another couple of highly ranked recruiting classes and we can be in that same situation. Right now, we're just not there. Banks is a good DC, but when his front line guys go down, he has to make decisions that try to protect the game plan as much as possible. Great example, look at the defensive stats before the injuries hit.

Of course not. Don’t you know how great our defensive staff is. They’re just waiting on the athletes. Just like last year; maybe next year it’ll show! On a side note if anyone had any coupons for copium I’d love to have some! :)

He’s had a few I think. I’m not saying the whole staff needs to be former Tennessee players or coaches I just think a one or two would be nice.

His current DC is a Tennessee alum. Chavis hasn’t coached in the SEC in close to 10 years. Like someone said. Too early to be drinking.

Never, ever, ever, never, never, ever, ever, no, no, no! He thinks it's a good idea to run the prevent defense once you get a 3 point lead.

Reactions: tbwhhs
You genuinely think Chavis would be an upgrade to Banks? You need to pick a different sport. Football is clearly not for you.
Yep to the post. Hope Banks can get close to the talent and depth as Chavis had while he was there. Damn, it's pitiful some in our fan base don't get that fact when comparing coaches

Some of y'all ain’t ever going to get it! A good QB with a good OL and elite WR’s are going to make the best defenses look bad. The Offense always has the advantage and always will. They do it in the pros every Sunday and they do it in College every Saturday! All y’all hollering for a new DC need to learn how to watch a f^%*#%^ football game.
Preach. Offense always has the advantage by nature because the defense has to react and the offense doesn't.

I was listening to one sports talk radio show, not sure if it was Josh and Swain in Knoxville or RKW on 1045 zone in Nashville... but AP was on both is week, and on one of them he mentioned not to expect any defensive staff changes... a little disappointing. I think Martinez is a decent recruiter but I do feel like the DBs always struggle under him, back during Butch's era and even now under Heup.. I would like to see us hire a DB coach who can develop and coach an aggressive secondary and recruit well... the best teams in CFB always have good secondary's.

VN Store

Back