John Chavis for DC?

One of the most overrated DCs of all time
Not sure I agree with that. He was great for his time, that time has past. Highest paid DC at what three different programs or was it just two? He produced some great defenses. Also to be fair had some epic busts at inopportune times.

People keep thinking we need to find a new DC.

We don't. We have a DC.

And contrary to the opinions of a vocal minority in these boards (who keep making new threads about it), he's a really good one.

Go Vols!
Dude I don’t care who our D-Cordinator is, as soon as the defense sits down it’s back on the field again 1 minute later. Need to run that offense in spurts. Allow D to rest. Our defense was on the field a full qtr longer than our opponent. We will win good many games but we will always lose a couple along the way. Nobody is conditioned that good.

What do you guys think about bringing Chief back John Chavis? He was a great DC and is still young enough and has a few good coaching years left he would def be a upgrade over Tim Banks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171227-133142.jpg
    Screenshot_20171227-133142.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 4
Not sure I agree with that. He was great for his time, that time has past. Highest paid DC at what three different programs or was it just two? He produced some great defenses. Also to be fair had some epic busts at inopportune times.
During the Manning years, we often had to score bigly to beat other teams. Almost entirely because of Peyton. He absolutely carried the team, even having NFL starters all over our defense. Can you name the WRs that played with Peyton that were successful in the NFL? Price was successful as a no. 2. Got him a WR1 contract in Atlanta, but that was short lived. Lots of them were drafted. Nash went early in first round. Out of the NFL the next year. Not because he was a screw up. Because he wasn't good enough. Manning cemented both Fulmer and Chavis. Point is that one or two....Al Wilson.....great players/greater leaders, can elevate a program to elite status. AND create opportunities for others

People keep thinking we need to find a new DC.

We don't. We have a DC.

And contrary to the opinions of a vocal minority in these boards (who keep making new threads about it), he's a really good one.

Go Vols!

Right? Dude isn’t even going anywhere and we are looking to replace him. The only thing that excites this fanbase more than winning is a good old fashioned coaching search.

3rd and Chavis or 3rd and Banks. I don’t see the difference. Both are pretty much guaranteed as far back off the line as our CB’s play.

I can’t believe we are at over 110 messages on a topic so absolutely devoid of anything remotely resembling rational thought.
Actually it’s perfectly rational our DC stinks and needs to go he’s had three full seasons and that’s enough but Heup isn’t going to make any coaching changes to save his life. So welcome back Banks and Willie to 2024 and you will get the same results.

esarmstrong,For not knowing Lacewell,your trying to be cute,you come off as a jerk.You should laugh at yourself-cause most everyone else could be simply disgusted.Possibly going elsewhere would be good for you.

What do you guys think about bringing Chief back John Chavis? He was a great DC and is still young enough and has a few good coaching years left he would def be a upgrade over Tim Banks
I don’t usually say this, but post less. Or like I tell my kids, think twice before you hit send.

And I liked Chavis BTW. About 20 years ago.

Actually it’s perfectly rational our DC stinks and needs to go he’s had three full seasons and that’s enough but Heup isn’t going to make any coaching changes to save his life. So welcome back Banks and Willie to 2024 and you will get the same results.
I can see where people can have a rational argument that Banks isn’t the man (even if I disagree with them). But the central recommendation of THIS thread, that bringing back Chavis is desirable (or even possible) is beyond ridiculous

I guess I'm the lone man out as I actually like Tim Banks. I just don't think that we've had the great athletes on defense. Just a handful. Plus we've had some guys get hurt
Just my opinion !
Vols 24. Iowa 14

Some of y'all ain’t ever going to get it! A good QB with a good OL and elite WR’s are going to make the best defenses look bad. The Offense always has the advantage and always will. They do it in the pros every Sunday and they do it in College every Saturday! All y’all hollering for a new DC need to learn how to watch a f^%*#%^ football game.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Some of y'all ain’t ever going to get it! A good QB with a good OL and elite WR’s are going to make the best defenses look bad. The Offense always has the advantage and always will. They do it in the pros every Sunday and they do it in College every Saturday! All y’all hollering for a new DC need to learn how to watch a f^%*#%^ football game.
A great QB can make an average OL look great. A great QB compensates for OL deficiencies

As the old saying goes, Offense sells tickets (and viewers), defense wins championships (but still have to have competent offense).

VN Store

Back