Jonathan Hefney

This is where I feel the Universities let down the student athletes. A lot of these kids leave with either a bogus degree that has no real value or no degree at all. If their bodies fail them or they never make it to the NFL to begin with they are left with no real marketable skill. If I were a big University like UT and I know I have these kids for at least 3 years (under the current rules) I would actually create a program that pursues athletes interests away from the game and builds them a path to a degree that they can fall back on when all else fails. Even if they decide to leave early for the NFL they would still have 3 years of credits under their belts and can return to finish their degree easily, again if they find themselves out of the game.
Just being there gives them an opportunity to be successful. How about personal accountability?

Oh I know what you are talking about. Cousin overdosed on heroin and died. I'm not pro drug or pro legalization..just feel the punishment doesn't fit. 100% different story if a death is involved.
What sentence would you suggest for selling drugs that ruins lives, but does not kill a person? Drug dealers know the risks and impact associated with selling and choose to do it anyway. I have no sympathy at all for those involved in selling drugs.

My brother was a drug addict for 18 years before his death. He died 23 years ago and I will never forget the pain experienced by my parents and the rest of our family every step of the way. He was in and out of rehab multiple times, but could never stay sober. Drug users and their dealers significantly impact the lives of many people and the pain lasts a long time.

What sentence would you suggest for selling drugs that ruins lives, but does not kill a person? Drug dealers know the risks and impact associated with selling and choose to do it anyway. I have no sympathy at all for those involved in selling drugs.

My brother was a drug addict for 18 years before his death. He died 23 years ago and I will never forget the pain experienced by my parents and the rest of our family every step of the way. He was in and out of rehab multiple times, but could never stay sober. Drug users and their dealers significantly impact the lives of many people and the pain lasts a long time.
Not sure. That post is 2 years old and havent thought about it at all.

FYI our drug criminalization policies have created an entire prison society and private industry. It’s not cool at all. Imagine if we took the money away from law enforcement (drug targeted) and prisons, and spent it on education and societal improvement .....
Unfortunately we do spend gobs of money on those failures also. I would argue our education and societal issues lead to the need for prisons. Which society has the model you prefer?

FYI our drug criminalization policies have created an entire prison society and private industry. It’s not cool at all. Imagine if we took the money away from law enforcement (drug targeted) and prisons, and spent it on education and societal improvement .....
San Francisco has. Take a look at their streets.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I saw his Facebook post about it, so I figured it would be OK to share.. (I frequent this site everyday and haven't seen anything about it yet, so mods please delete this if it has already been mentioned). He is young and he can do a lot better than what he has done for his community once he is out. 9 year sentence...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.heraldonline.com/news/local/crime/article235467402.html

it is very sad these young men find themselves at the bottom. having said that - average salary in cfl is 80,000 to 100,000 per year. He had a 200,000 insurance check given to him for insurance - he had a significant GoFundMe account. he was behind on his child support way before his injury. he did not save any money and spent it away. what can u do??

Just being there gives them an opportunity to be successful. How about personal accountability?
personal accountability, not much to say after that. Free education, food, place to stay, network connections, new environment, coaching staff of mentors, educators, academic counselors, daily structure, weight training, faith groups, campus life, nice city, athletic clothes, shoes.

If you choose to play and earn your degree in 3.5 to 5 years you can walk away debt free. Life changing.

This is where I feel the Universities let down the student athletes. A lot of these kids leave with either a bogus degree that has no real value or no degree at all. If their bodies fail them or they never make it to the NFL to begin with they are left with no real marketable skill. If I were a big University like UT and I know I have these kids for at least 3 years (under the current rules) I would actually create a program that pursues athletes interests away from the game and builds them a path to a degree that they can fall back on when all else fails. Even if they decide to leave early for the NFL they would still have 3 years of credits under their belts and can return to finish their degree easily, again if they find themselves out of the game.

They push athletes into Sports Management & similar degrees that offer little to nothing but it’s a degree. The schools get to brag about the bogus graduation rate but the player has to often start at a job that doesn’t require a degree anyway.

Or you know people could choose not to do drugs

I
They push athletes into Sports Management & similar degrees that offer little to nothing but it’s a degree. The schools get to brag about the bogus graduation rate but the player has to often start at a job that doesn’t require a degree anyway.
i think this has changed a little. Here are 2021 spring graduates:
[="NO SIR EEE, post: 19778117, member: 46129"]FOOTBALL (11)
Paxton Brooks, Kinesiology
James Brown, Kinesiology
Brent Cimaglia, Management
Tanner Dobrucky, Supply Chain Management
Grant Frerking, Supply Chain Management
Cheyenne Labruzza, Supply Chain Management
Ollie Lane, Kinesiology
Riley Locklear, Kinesiology
J.T. Siekerman, Business Analytics
Jacob Warren, Kinesiology
Toby Wilson, Finance[/QUOTE]

The most common degree, Kinesiology, can get a person started in a career in OT or PT.

Last edited:
Same old story, different player’s name. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We have lost over 100,000 brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers to drugs this year. Add to that crime and violence. If we don’t work together for drastic change, those numbers will keep growing.

I

i think this has changed a little. Here are 2020 spring graduates:
[="NO SIR EEE, post: 19778117, member: 46129"]FOOTBALL (11)
Paxton Brooks, Kinesiology
James Brown, Kinesiology
Brent Cimaglia, Management
Tanner Dobrucky, Supply Chain Management
Grant Frerking, Supply Chain Management
Cheyenne Labruzza, Supply Chain Management
Ollie Lane, Kinesiology
Riley Locklear, Kinesiology
J.T. Siekerman, Business Analytics
Jacob Warren, Kinesiology
Toby Wilson, Finance

The most common degree, Kinesiology, can get a person started in a career in OT or PT.[/QUOTE]
Only 11 graduates? Kinesiology grads can fill 5 of the top 20 jobs. Dobbs was in engineering. Thumbs up to these scholar athletes. Where are the rest?I assume this is from just one semester?

The most common degree, Kinesiology, can get a person started in a career in OT or PT.
Only 11 graduates? Kinesiology grads can fill 5 of the top 20 jobs. Dobbs was in engineering. Thumbs up to these scholar athletes. Where are the rest?I assume this is from just one semester?[/QUOTE]
@NO SIR EEE posted this in spring 2021. I just grabbed it as an example. I suspect fall may have another 10-15. I would expect around 20 per year total.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM

VN Store

Back