Jones at Cincy...

Volmorning

Poon, Mr. Poon.
OK, I, for one, am happy with what Jones has accomplished in the short time he has been here. However, a point that is missed by Volnatoin, repeatedly, is that he went 4-8 his first season at Cincy. How do we, as Vol fans, rationalize this in the Southeastern Conference?

I don't know what to expect this year, but Butch doeas have a body of evidence that states don't expect much in the first year.

Thoughts?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Thoughts?

That is very poorly thought out argument. Each situation is different. You can't compare what he did in 2010 at Cincy for what he may or will do at UT in 2013.

Reactions: 9 people
Was at Central Michigan, named as head coach in 2007. In his first year he posted an 8–5 overall record and a 7–1 conference record.

Now what?

Reactions: 14 people
Ill be pissed if he goes 4-8. It won't drive me to wanting him fired. However 2014 is another story.

"Thoughts? "

It's always tough for a team to adjust to a new coaching scheme in its first year.
New offense, New Defense. You don't have the right players to fit your scheme.

I look at a coaches second year, where Coach Jones went 10–3 in 2011, including a Big East championship.
That tells me all I need to know.

Another example would be Saban at Bama.
6-6 first year.
2nd year 12-0.

Reactions: 7 people
Thoughts?

That is very poorly thought out argument. Each situation is different. You can't compare what he did in 2010 at Cincy for what he may or will do at UT in 2013.

This. One would first need to see what key players returned from the previous season. Was there extra attrition from the change? Etc. numbers numbers numbers....hey OP, we need numbers. Thanks in advance.

I think the more telling stat is his improvement from year 1 to year 2. I don't think even the most optimistic fan is expecting much this season.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If he can recruit he will win. The teams with the better players win the games and miraculously make the coaches look competent.

Reactions: 2 people
In order for this team to compete in the upper echelon of the SEC Butch will need several top 10 recruiting classes. 7 wins this fall would be expected, anything more is gravy. Sit and watch the process and enjoy the ride. Good things will come, but only if the foundation has been built right.

Stupid post, Butch Jones has done more fence mending and recruiting better players than that fool Dooley in less than a year. We are light years from where that fool left us. All of these hypotheticals are a waste of time. Go find something better to do.

Reactions: 5 people
I learned something from the post. It would be good to know if it takes longer than normal to implement Jones' systems. The data being presented here does not suggest that. Go Vols.

i agree...stupid post. please eliminate

Why is it stupid, because you say so? Please, past performance is the best indicator of future performance, and you seem to want to do away with that fact. Grow up and realize that things are not always black and white, please.

Why is it stupid, because you say so? Please, past performance is the best indicator of future performance, and you seem to want to do away with that fact. Grow up and realize that things are not always black and white, please.

Past performance could have been dictated by multiple variables too.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the year prior to his hiring at Cinci, they were loaded with upperclassmen, possibly a ton of seniors. I mean it's not everyday Cinci goes BCS bowling. And upon the coaching change many of those upperclassmen graduated along with slight attrition from the coaching change, leaving him a completely decimated roster. Make too much sense? Seriously though...personel #s would help your case IMO. But at the end of the day, a 4-8 season this year would be a travesty and would really piss me off. And I don't think I'm being unrealistic by saying so.

I keep hearing that we shouldn't expect much this season. The fact is that we haven't exceeded 7 wins since 2007. I've been hearing the same song for several years now. Sooner or later, somebody has to start expecting something.:good!:

Reactions: 3 people
Derek Dooley and Sal Sunseri would disagree with this.

Some need a larger talent disparity than others. The talent level dropped with each of his recruiting classes so it was evident the gap was not closing with the better programs.

Ill be pissed if he goes 4-8. It won't drive me to wanting him fired. However 2014 is another story.

Mind you, fellow, 2014 will be harder than 2013. We lose huge chunks from the offense and a fair number from the defense. Being thin in so many areas right now means putting a very inexperienced team on the field in 2014.

Reactions: 2 people
Thoughts?

he didn't make an argument, but posed a question. reading comprehension is a valuable skill.

VN Store

Back