Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

I’m not a Heupel guy.......but you can’t simply say he isn’t good based on 3 years at UCF.

Do you guys “expect” UCF to stay at 13-0 every year? Seriously?

Frost was there only 2 years. He went 6-7 the. 13-0.........Heupel did NOT take over a “sustained” 13-0 type program.

2 years Frost was 19-7
3 years Heupel was 28-8

Have they went down.....well sure......but Frost only had the ONE year. Heupel has done well and for longer.

He won with the team which went 13-0 and has gotten worse every year. No sugar coating that. Butch rolled off Kelly for two job upgrades in the same manner.

Not sure how I pissed in your Cheerios. Don't remember even having a conversation with you on here. But if I can make you feel better by not supporting a Heupel hire more power to you.
There’s a reason I don’t respond to you

Some still think UT is still a top tier job. It isn’t anymore. Truth hurts.
It can get back to greatness, but the coach that does it will not be the “home run hire” that everyone wants.

Look back in UT history........the greatest HC’s were all assistants when they were hired at UT( except Majors)
Fulmer, Battle, Dickey, and Gen. Neyland were all assistants before HC at UT. Wyatt was HC at Wyoming and Arkansas. He was decent in Knoxville, but not great.

.....were not HC before. Ok perhaps true, but this is not a job fill that can be gambled on as has been done for the past 4 hires. Of course everyone is a gamble......even Freeze, Kiffen, and other "big names". I honestly think you miss the difference. If the average fan from TN has some hope in a new hire.......a guy who has more than a mediocre record, or a guy who had actually shown he can run a decent sized program, or a guy who grew up 30 minutes from Knoxville and who LOVED the vols. I think we might give that kind of guy a little more leeway.

One thing is for CERTAIN. No one besides White KNOWS who it is and it's driving everyone crazy

I guaranty more than White knows. There's his staff, family, administration, pilots, boosters...potential coaches have family, agents, potential staff...search firm, more of the same. It's likely the names floated about are some smoke screens, some completely false and some true. It's not locked down to one guy, just can't be. Too many people in play even if they do try to keep it quiet people talk.

All the ones that support this hire can honestly think that Heupel can hang with Saban, Kirby, or Mullen do they? Stoops and Drinkwitz will probably eat his lunch too!!!
Saw a tweet from some UCF folks who said he cracks under pressure.... pressure? 104k seat stadium, rabid fan base.... could be interesting....

I’m not a Heupel guy.......but you can’t simply say he isn’t good based on 3 years at UCF.

Frost was there only 2 years. He went 6-7 the. 13-0.........Heupel did NOT take over a “sustained” 13-0 type program.

2 years Frost was 19-7
3 years Heupel was 28-8

Have they went down.....well sure......but Frost only had the ONE year. Heupel has done well and for longer.
No I don’t expect UCF to stay at 13-0 every year. But when there’s clear regression season over season, it calls into question the ability of the HC.

Reactions: Perspective

2 years Frost was 19-7
3 years Heupel was 28-8

He did well for 2 years.... declining, but not dropping off. He straight dropped on year 3. He did not do "well" longer. He just did longer. 6-4 w/ UCF's schedule (8 gimmees in 2020) isn't my idea of doing well.

1611712608171.png

I wonder if White might be leaking "interest" for Heupel to do a friend a solid?

Heupel hasn't had a contract update since 2018 at UCF and SEC "interest" might help him get some leverage for negotiations. Just a thought.

The only thing I worry about is his recruiting. Again I think we just really need a great offensive mind that can develop QBs. The recruiting and defense can be figured out with good assistants.

VN Store

Back