Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Hmm, this board had gone from Kellie has so much talent this season that she can't do anything less than make the final four to she can't identify talent.

"Talent" is a meaningless hypothetical. For example, Jillian Hollingshead has all the physical tools to be a dominant player, size, athleticism, quickness and so on but she had not translated that into being a dominant presence.

This team has one elite player and we all know who that is. We have two good players, who are one notch below elite (Powell and Spear). Tamari is tough to classify because of her slow comeback but at her best, she was an elite defense presence and a middling offensive presence.

Puckett is a solid player. She is a good on the offensive end but not a greater defender on the perimeter, she is okay in the post.

Striplin has become a good offensive player. Defensively, she can hold her own against most but can't match up against bigger, skilled posts.

But, Jackson, Spear, Powell, Striplin, and Puckett is a solid 5, particularly when Spear, Puckett and Striplin can stretch the floor with their 3 pt shooting.

Hollingshead is a solid sub, though I play her more in Puckett's role, if TK can come in provide some decent minutes as the #2 to Striplin (and she seems to be trending that way).

Wynn becomes my next choice off the bench unless the team is desperate for shooting, then I would give Tess a run but she would be further down my depth chart.

But Spears becomes my # 2 PG option which means she will not some rest periods and that is where Wynn becomes a crucial sub.

I am not mentioning Strickland because she has been out for most of the season so it remains a question mark as to what she could deliver as a sub.

Last edited:
In my opinion, we need to give the team a chance to work through injuries and the early season. We lost our best player for the toughest stretch of our non conference slate. It didn’t help we have had other injuries that probably change our record. Our fans are too quick to crown as well as want to pull the plug (see Josh Heupel).

"Talent" is a meaningless hypothetical. For example, Jillian Hollingshead has all the physical tools to be a dominant player, size, athleticism, quickness and so on but she had not translated that into being a dominant presence.

This team has one elite player and we all know who that is. We have two good players, who are one notch below elite (Powell and Spear). Tamari is tough to classify because of her slow comeback but at her best, she was an elite defense presence and a middling offensive presence.

Puckett is a solid player. She is a good on the offensive end but not a greater defender on the perimeter, she is okay in the post.

Striplin has become a good offensive player. Defensively, she can hold her own against most but can't match up against bigger, skilled posts.

But, Jackson, Spear, Powell, Striplin, and Puckett is a solid 5, particularly when Spear, Puckett and Striplin can stretch the floor with their 3 pt shooting.

Hollingshead is a solid sub, though I play her more in Puckett's role, if TK can come in provide some decent minutes as the #2 to Striplin (and she seems to be trending that way).

Wynn becomes my next choice off the bench unless the team is desperate for shooting, then I would give Tess a run but she would be further down my depth chart.

But Spears becomes my # 2 PG option which means she will not some rest periods and that is where Wynn becomes a crucial sub.

I am not mentioning Strickland because she has been out for most of the season so it remains a question mark as to what she could deliver as a sub

Good overall post. Your 2 comments on Hollingshead are spot on IMO. Coach J made a post about her recently saying that her best skills are facing the basket. She is not comfortable as a back to the basket post player. You would think our cracker jack coaching staff would have figured that out and play her where she can get the most out of her skills.

But guess the coaching staff know better than us couch coaches do.

Now that's laughable. Thanks for providing the comic relief for the day. RJ would start for any team in America.
Maybe, could be a team or two she comes off the bench because they don’t put up with her “practice” issues with a deep bench of next up.

Just looking at the schedule we are going to need to win at least eleven and more like 12 or 13 of the last 17 games to make the NCAA Tourney. Most of the SEC teams have played the undercard of teams and have won by enough of a margin in those games to elevate their NET rankings. Were at ninety and can't afford to lose to very many of those teams. I don't think 9 and 9 in the conference will get you in that is the borderline record to make it. Been able to take advantage of a favorable SEC schedule the last two season. Not so favorable this time around. Going to take a big team effort to make it this season.

I am not mentioning Strickland because she has been out for most of the season so it remains a question mark as to what she could deliver as a sub.
Sounds like you’re coming around to we have backups playing as starters.

VN Store

Back