Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Right now I think the Ohio State guy has both the x's and o's and recruiting to be the next big coaching hire. I don't know what he makes at Ohio State, but he has done the job there and before at Xavier. I think he is far better than most out there if your offering a big payday
Ohio State looks great, and they are very well coached. I also don’t think they are relying on a generational talent like Iowa or USC potentially are, but I admittedly haven’t kept up with their games as I focus on the SEC and ACC.

Don't know about her, but another often mentioned up and comer, Gonzaga's Lisa Fortier can. Her hubby has been her assistant for years. Actually it's not that uncommon, there are 3 wife/hubby combos in the SEC. It's just that some old fashioned views just can't get past the male working for the female.

It has nothing to do with sex of employee.

Interesting to me that in every case, if you weren't told the male assistant was the head coach's hubby, you'd never know. It's the idea that smokes many, also it's a catch all when mad at the head coach.
Nepotism is not something to be ignored. Just because it's womens basketball it's not acceptable. Maybe women's basktball and sports in general needs to get in the 21st century.

Ohio State looks great, and they are very well coached. I also don’t think they are relying on a generational talent like Iowa or USC potentially are, but I admittedly haven’t kept up with their games as I focus on the SEC and ACC.
They aren't, although they have their combination of highly rated (but not top 5-ish) McD AA players like Taylor and McMahon, plus players who developed well during college (Sheldon, Harris, their foreign post player).

Although they have Jaloni Cambridge coming in next year, and she'll be their biggest star since Kelsey Mitchell who was an elite college player/pro.

Nepotism is not something to be ignored. Just because it's womens basketball it's not acceptable. Maybe women's basktball and sports in general needs to get in the 21st century.
All the couple coaches and their schools long ago got around that by making hubby an employee of the state, not the school.

That said, nepotism and the fact you kinda can't fire one without firing the other is an actual problem w this arrangement. Keeping young coaching families with small children together is a huge advantage. Either way, having hubby on staff is a million miles away from our actual problems.

I would still take Gottlieb even if Watkins didn’t come with her. She’s a very good coach. She took Cal to a Final Four and they’ve never cared one iota about women’s basketball there.
Agree but would be even better with Watkins and couple others on that roster.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Kellie now has three 10+ loss seasons in 5 years. Pat only had two 10 loss seasons from 1987 to her retirement - and one of those teams won the national title.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Kellie now has three 10+ loss seasons in 5 years. Pat only had two 10 loss seasons from 1987 to her retirement - and one of those teams won the national title.
That's way too many, for sure, but to be fair there are a ton more good teams and good players now. Pat would have been playing against alot of them, not stockpiling them on her bench.

If AD makes a move, how does Volnation feel about Kara Lawson?

Edit: not saying we should hire former players only or anything.
Just asking how y'all feel about this as a potential hire.

The way I feel about the Harper situation is the minute the season ends you either have to fire her or say she is staying another season. Portal is open and recruiting for 2025 needs to be done. You really can't leave the situation hanging for a long period of time even a week is to long. Say goodbye or glad to have you back one or the other and get on with it.

If AD makes a move, how does Volnation feel about Kara Lawson?

Edit: not saying we should hire former players only or anything.
Just asking how y'all feel about this as a potential hire.
For her seasons at Duke she has been Kellie Harper. She has almost an identical record this season both overall and in the ACC conference. If your going to hire her what is wrong with who you have they are doing the same thing. Plus someone says were at war with her over something don't know to much about that.

For her seasons at Duke she has been Kellie Harper. She has almost an identical record this season both overall and in the ACC conference. If your going to hire her what is wrong with who you have they are doing the same thing. Plus someone says were at war with her over something don't know to much about that.
Kara is at least getting some big wins this season, but I agree. Would want someone who can actually run an offense without a star player.

The way I feel about the Harper situation is the minute the season ends you either have to fire her or say she is staying another season. Portal is open and recruiting for 2025 needs to be done. You really can't leave the situation hanging for a long period of time even a week is to long. Say goodbye or glad to have you back one or the other and get on with it.
Amen. Absolutely. Portal is our lifeline right now. Don't leave em guessing.

I'm very worried the portal for big time players may be pretty sparse for us this spring. Wanna come join my trainwreck?

Amen. Absolutely. Portal is our lifeline right now. Don't leave em guessing.

I'm very worried the portal for big time players may be pretty sparse for us this spring. Wanna come join my trainwreck?
Like I said hire McGuff give him a Dawn Staley deal and let Ohio State suffer the transfer portal and see who he keeps on the present roster. I think we'll be better coached even if we don't win more the first season.

Kara is at least getting some big wins this season, but I agree. Would want someone who can actually run an offense without a star player.
She does but there is another situation with her here I don't totally understand which would totally kill any deal with her. Overall her record against ranked teams is not much better. My wish is hire Kevin McGuff to a Dawn Staley contract and let him go to work.

The way I feel about the Harper situation is the minute the season ends you either have to fire her or say she is staying another season. Portal is open and recruiting for 2025 needs to be done. You really can't leave the situation hanging for a long period of time even a week is too long. Say goodbye or glad to have you back one or the other and get on with it.
You don’t drag it out.

We should scour the CBB landscape for the next Muffet McGraw, though I'm not sure we have the people in our
athletic director who could find an existing head with her qualities. I might have asked--or paid--the real Muffet McGraw
to scour the landscape and look for a slightly younger version of herself! It would be rather embarrassing--but who better
to recognize the few coaches out there who could truly revitalize this program? Do we wonder how McGraw would feel
about all this NIL---"oh, we gotta offer prospects enough money to buy a nice car and a home for her parents so she'll
sign with us"--BS? I'm sure she loathes it.

We should scour the CBB landscape for the next Muffet McGraw, though I'm not sure we have the people in our
athletic director who could find an existing head with her qualities. I might have asked--or paid--the real Muffet McGraw
to scour the landscape and look for a slightly younger version of herself! It would be rather embarrassing--but who better
to recognize the few coaches out there who could truly revitalize this program? Do we wonder how McGraw would feel
about all this NIL---"oh, we gotta offer prospects enough money to buy a nice car and a home for her parents so she'll
sign with us"--BS? I'm sure she loathes it.
Gottlieb could be that person. She already has some done some good things as a coach. I don't know much about Molly Miller she seems to be a favorite of a lot of posters here.

Not to crow (isn't that what Roosters do?) but I did post this last week in the LV news thread in reference to the then upcoming game vs. LSU:

" Having a fresh defender on HVL whenever she is handling the ball will be key as well, she breaks down under tight pressure. She can hurt you if left open to take 3’s so even when she is off ball you can’t sag off of her. Wynn should be useful in helping to keep a fresh cover defender on her."

Wynn is a good defender, but she is not an offensive threat to shoot and her drives are "prayers" not "answers".
By now, with that God given athleticism, Wynn should be knocking on J-Horston'esque doors.
But her skills have not increased
And that is FULLY on her assigned trainer

She used a couple of t.o.s but I think she is absolutely paralyzed w fear she's going to need one late in game and not have one. Esp w the ability to advance the ball after t.o.s, they can be golden. But also useless if the game has gotten out of hand.

In general, obviously, KJH is timeout averse, as is Rick Barnes.

This staff goes home with unused timeouts every single game and often uses 2-3 of them in the last seconds of an already lost game.
It sickens me.
I have coached all of my time with the same philosophy,,,2 time-outs for in-game, 2 timeouts for end-game
you can count the times on one finger this year where we needed more than two timeouts to "decide" the end of a game...And yes, I have watched every game and not missed one.

And it is not ALL Kellie's fault. At some point one of her staff has to throw caution to the wind and demand change...And if they lose their job, at least they earned their departure doing the right thing.

How do you know she didn't? I saw several antimated conversations in huddles.

Ya'll keep wanting Kellie to be a chair thrower and she's just not.
Then throw a hairbrush or hire someone who will. I see a husband and two assistants that only address the coach when it is time to high-five her...and yes, I have been there, 15 rows back watching the bench as much as the floor,,,often even more

Reactions: Deebowbear

VN Store

Back