Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Dawn Staley.
Have to pay her more than Barnes don't see that happening. I think she is the highest paid coach in women's basketball right now. I don't see DW going there in a non revenue sport. He may be willing to give a Dawn Staley current type contract to someone don't know if he'd go the seven years she has left on it to any coach. Even then that is like 3 million plus a season which is a lot of money for a non revenue sport.

All the couple coaches and their schools long ago got around that by making hubby an employee of the state, not the school.

That said, nepotism and the fact you kinda can't fire one without firing the other is an actual problem w this arrangement. Keeping young coaching families with small children together is a huge advantage. Either way, having hubby on staff is a million miles away from our actual problems.
Don’t need a husband and wife duo again

All the couple coaches and their schools long ago got around that by making hubby an employee of the state, not the school.

That said, nepotism and the fact you kinda can't fire one without firing the other is an actual problem w this arrangement. Keeping young coaching families with small children together is a huge advantage. Either way, having hubby on staff is a million miles away from our actual problems.
Steven Pearl and nepotism will ride it out as long as he can.

For her seasons at Duke she has been Kellie Harper. She has almost an identical record this season both overall and in the ACC conference. If your going to hire her what is wrong with who you have they are doing the same thing. Plus someone says were at war with her over something don't know to much about that.

Kara is a better recruiter

Kara is a better recruiter
I'm not sure that she is and so many of them have transferred. She has a couple of players that are supposed to be really good and neither is doing that much. She hasn't been able to get a post player that is really elite. She keeps getting two or three top 50 freshmen and two or three leave through the portal for a minus 0 gain. Plus with Boyd and Cooper coming in and top recruit Brooks in 2025 were really on the right track with elite players. Just need several more.

I'm not sure that she is and so many of them have transferred. She has a couple of players that are supposed to be really good and neither is doing that much. She hasn't been able to get a post player that is really elite. She keeps getting two or three top 50 freshmen and two or three leave through the portal for a minus 0 gain. Plus with Boyd and Cooper coming in and top recruit Brooks in 2025 were really on the right track with elite players. Just need several more.
You mean two or three top 30 freshmen..... none of those have left. The only players that have left are transfers and bench warmers. Pretty typical situation when you take over a dumpster fire left by an abusive coach. Two top 5 recruiting classes is head and shoulders above Kellie.
Lawson wouldn't touch the UT job with a 10ft poll though, so it doesn't really matter

You mean two or three top 30 freshmen..... none of those have left. The only players that have left are transfers and bench warmers. Pretty typical situation when you take over a dumpster fire left by an abusive coach. Two top 5 recruiting classes is head and shoulders above Kellie.
Lawson wouldn't touch the UT job with a 10ft poll though, so it doesn't really matter
Celeste Taylor (Ohio St.), Shayeann Day- Wilson and Jaida Patrick(Miami) weren't benchwarmers. Lee Volker (Marquette) was a bench warmer.

Celeste Taylor (Ohio St.), Shayeann Day- Wilson and Jaida Patrick(Miami) weren't benchwarmers. Lee Volker (Marquette) was a bench warmer.
I didn't say each person was both a transfer in (Taylor, Day-Wilson, and Oliver, who transferred for more playing time) AND a benchwarmer (S. Bolin), so your point is moot.

Volker left due to academic problems and Jaida was not encouraged to stay after the 1st season.

None of these kids were recruited by Lawson for more than a couple months. Some only a few weeks...... Totally normal level of attrition in this type of situation.

If a fledging program doesn't have this level of attrition with a new coach, they are more likely to fail than be successful. Change is hard. Mulkey probably being one of the only exceptions to this.....

Now if more than 1-2 players transfer after this season, then something may be amiss bc all of these current kids were recruited by Lawson over a significant period of time. Mair being the one exception.

Last edited:
Wilson wasn't a bench warner and actually some of those top thirties your talking about have not been elite players. Plus Kellie's had two top ten portal classes and if you look at the records you will see they are extremely identical. She is 60 and 28 at Duke .682 percentage. Kellie is 104 and 49 at Tennessee .680 so where has she done better? Donavan 6.5 points and 5.3 rebounds, Jackson 8.8 points and 2.2 rebounds, and their list of players having poor seasons goes on. Only the transfer from Georgia has been an elite player for her. She sits in 7th place in the ACC with a 10 and 6 record and while Kellie is 9 and 5 and currently fourth place in the SEC. Makes no difference where a class is ranked if they don't show it on the court thus far hers have not done the job. Meanwhile in the class of 2025 she has no players. We have one top 20 player. So anyway you work it she has done nothing more can't prove it with the stats or how the players have performed. She is going into year four and Kellie is in year five so plenty of seasons to compare and when you compare you get the same coaching results.

The way I feel about the Harper situation is the minute the season ends you either have to fire her or say she is staying another season. Portal is open and recruiting for 2025 needs to be done. You really can't leave the situation hanging for a long period of time even a week is to long. Say goodbye or glad to have you back one or the other and get on with it.
I think they do it the minute she misses the tournament.

Wilson wasn't a bench warner and actually some of those top thirties your talking about have not been elite players. Plus Kellie's had two top ten portal classes and if you look at the records you will see they are extremely identical. She is 60 and 28 at Duke .682 percentage. Kellie is 104 and 49 at Tennessee .680 so where has she done better? Donavan 6.5 points and 5.3 rebounds, Jackson 8.8 points and 2.2 rebounds, and their list of players having poor seasons goes on. Only the transfer from Georgia has been an elite player for her. She sits in 7th place in the ACC with a 10 and 6 record and while Kellie is 9 and 5 and currently fourth place in the SEC. Makes no difference where a class is ranked if they don't show it on the court thus far hers have not done the job. Meanwhile in the class of 2025 she has no players. We have one top 20 player. So anyway you work it she has done nothing more can't prove it with the stats or how the players have performed. She is going into year four and Kellie is in year five so plenty of seasons to compare and when you compare you get the same coaching results.
Here's the thing. The comparison between Harper and Lawson starts with comparing how they did at comparable points in their coaching careers. Here are Kellie's numbers in her 1st 4 yrs as a head coach:
2009–10NC State20–147–7T–5thNCAA First Round
2010–11NC State14–174–1010th
2011–12NC State19–165–119thWNIT Second Round
2012–13NC State17–177–117thWNIT Second Round
NC State:70–64 (.522)23–39 (.442

68% (Lawson) vs. 52% (Harper)in their 1st four years of coaching.

If Lawson (4th year College Head Coach) is able to perform at the same level as Harper (15th year College HC, 19 yrs college coaching), I'm taking the 4th year coach.

Building a program takes time and you can't build a program with transfers every year. Any coach UT gets now will need at least 5-8 years to build a sustainable program with HS recruits unless they are going to shell out a lot more money. So many seem to think there is a quick fix (Mulkey is a huge exception) and there just isn't.

In 4 years, Lawson has built relationships with AAU/Youth coach from scratch, repaired relationships with alums and donors and gotten top high school recruits. Kellie didn't have to do most of that and yet she still isn't making much progress with HS recruiting or funding NIL, apparently.

Lawson would have been the better investment. She has far more growth potential than Kellie, who has been trying to figure it out for 19 yrs. We'll just have to disagree, but I'll be happy to be wrong if that means Tenn turns a corner soon.

IMO, comparing conference records is meaningless when you are in different conferences. It just doesn't make much sense to compare them at all.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Here's the thing. The comparison between Harper and Lawson starts with comparing how they did at comparable points in their coaching careers. Here are Kellie's numbers in her 1st 4 yrs as a head coach:
2009–10NC State20–147–7T–5thNCAA First Round
2010–11NC State14–174–1010th
2011–12NC State19–165–119thWNIT Second Round
2012–13NC State17–177–117thWNIT Second Round
NC State:70–64 (.522)23–39 (.442

68% (Lawson) vs. 52% (Harper)in their 1st four years of coaching.

If Lawson (4th year College Head Coach) is able to perform at the same level as Harper (15th year College HC, 19 yrs college coaching), I'm taking the 4th year coach.

Building a program takes time and you can't build a program with transfers every year. Any coach UT gets now will need at least 5-8 years to build a sustainable program with HS recruits. Unless they are going to shell out a lot more money. So many seem to think there is a quick fix (Mulkey is a huge exception) and there just isn't.

In 4 years, Lawson has built relationships with AAU/Youth coach from scratch, repaired relationships with alums and donors and gotten top high school recruits. Kellie didn't have to do most of that and yet she still isn't making much progress with HS recruiting or funding NIL, apparently.

Lawson would have been the better investment. She has far more growth potential than Kellie, who has been trying to figure it out for 19 yrs. We'll just have to disagree, but I'll be happy to be wrong if that means Tenn turns a corner soon.

IMO, comparing conference records is meaningless when you are in different conferences. It just doesn't make much sense to compare them at all.
That is not an effective argument cause your going to bring up those four seasons you need to bring up them all and Harpers percentage goes over 70 percent. You just can't pick out four seasons you like that is a little juvenile at best. People tell me if you can't do it in four years you never will she hasn't and neither has Harper. Replacing Harper with her would be a disaster. Why you find it strange to compare conference records? That is the main part of any coaches season. If you can't win in your conference your not a good coach. She's had the same success against SC and UConn as Harper just hasn't played them as much. At least Harper has that one win over Sc.

Syracuse Felisha Legette-Jack would be a good hire
There’s several good coaches and young ones if he wanted to go that route. Go young put great assistants around he or she UNLV coach is done good in her fours years. But will he choose to go veteran or the young route. Whom ever he gets needs to be a winner

That is not an effective argument cause your going to bring up those four seasons you need to bring up them all and Harpers percentage goes over 70 percent. You just can't pick out four seasons you like that is a little juvenile at best. People tell me if you can't do it in four years you never will she hasn't and neither has Harper. Replacing Harper with her would be a disaster. Why you find it strange to compare conference records? That is the main part of any coaches season. If you can't win in your conference your not a good coach. She's had the same success against SC and UConn as Harper just hasn't played them as much. At least Harper has that one win over Sc.
It is the most effective argument and comical that you think it is juvenile. Their 1st four seasons as head coaches are the only comparable seasons because the learning curve of anyone early in a career is very steep. Kellie has little growth potential at this point. Lawson has quite a bit. That matters if you are building a program.

I'm not suggesting that UT replace Harper with Lawson. I'm saying they made the mistake of hiring Harper over Lawson to begin with. Lawson would never come to Tennessee now that ship has sailed.

You can't compare conference records because they aren't playing the same teams. The fact that you think that is a good comparison is very confusing. Lawson had no problem winning in the ACC last season when they finished in 2nd place. This year they are in 6th place playing with 8 underclassmen. Duke is building, Tennessee is not.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
It is the most effective argument and comical that you think it is juvenile. Their 1st four seasons as head coaches are the only comparable seasons because the learning curve of anyone early in a career is very steep. Kellie has little growth potential at this point. Lawson has quite a bit. That matters if you are building a program.

I'm not suggesting that UT replace Harper with Lawson. I'm saying they made the mistake of hiring Harper over Lawson to begin with. Lawson would never come to Tennessee now that ship has sailed.

You can't compare conference records because they aren't playing the same teams. The fact that you think that is a good comparison is very confusing. Lawson had no problem winning in the ACC last season when they finished in 2nd place. This year they are in 6th place playing with 8 underclassmen. Duke is building, Tennessee is not.
She was at western Carolina first with a program at the very bottom won the league one season and finished second another. I not saying Kellie has done a good job just saying Kara has been a failure as well. If we'd hired her instead of Kellie we'd have the same people saying we needed to fire her and get a new coach cause her record here would not be better than the one at Duke.

Have to pay her more than Barnes don't see that happening. I think she is the highest paid coach in women's basketball right now. I don't see DW going there in a non revenue sport. He may be willing to give a Dawn Staley current type contract to someone don't know if he'd go the seven years she has left on it to any coach. Even then that is like 3 million plus a season which is a lot of money for a non revenue sport.

We're not getting Dawn Staley. Absurd. She's built a powerhouse at South Carolina? Why would she come here to rebuild? Makes zero sense.

Lawson would never come to Tennessee now that ship has sailed.
That ship never launched. When the TN job came open Lawson was on the board of trustees. Naturally, she got asked over and over by reporters about taking the job. She said every single time she had no interest in coaching. Then two things happened: she took a coaching job at another school and she left the board with bad blood when she publically criticised them as lacking diversity. Apparently they felt stabbed in the back and claimed she had never said a word about this to them before. Needless to say, Kara Lawson will not be coaching here. But ya'lls research and comparison is interesting. Personally, I don't think Lawson would have been an upgrade.
18-12 gets Tennessee a 8 or 9 seed
Which gets a booby prize bc it means a game with a #1 seed on their home floor. Better to stay at 10 if you can't get up to 7. at l10 seed at least gets you a 2 seed on their home floor if you survive the first round. Lord, this looks dismal. I'd just like us to have a few more enjoyable games along the way if possible.

Every time this team looks like it's going to get on a little run something happens that feels like a gut punch. LSU seemed alot more painful than SC although they happened in similar ways. Lucky for us TAM is awful right now and may be just what the doctor ordered.

VN Store

Back