Knecht in the latest ESPN mock draft

Lakers are kind of a mess franchise, but let's ride. 40 year old lebron, AD, and soon to be drafted Bronny.

Last edited:
Reactions: EaglesVols91
Even though I am no longer a Sixer fan, Daryl Morey, Elton Brand, and yours truly, are going to be really, really close.

Now that I am retired, my hobby is going to be reminding my new best friends that their purpose in life is to WIN basketball games! And each and every time DK outplays the Duke kid they selected, they will hear it from the Mack Daddy.

No titles with Charles Barkley. No titles with Allan Iverson. No titles with Joel Embiid. And worst of all, ONE title for Dr J. I’m done. Sorry for the rant, fellow Vols!

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Everyone had a discussion just a few months back about Dalton and his draft position. Most thought and rightfully so Dalton would be a top 10 pick, which he should've been.
Track record shows NBA teams have been drafting freshmen and some sophomores out of college in first round for years now. Looking at first round draft picks this year seems like only 6 out of 30 were upperclassmen.

Edey going at #9 wasn't because he was better than Knecht it was what Memphis needed according to the so called experts. As a Lakers fan since 1979 im looking forward to Dalton to being the next great Laker.

Honestly cannot be more excited for Knecht, kid has worked his way from JUCO all the way to being a first-round NBA draft pick to play with the Lakers of all teams, and with Lebron & AD.

It was honestly frustrating watching some of these teams make god-awful picks ahead of Knecht. The fact that OKC at No. 12 chose a kid who tore his ACL over Knecht blew my mind.

Either way, it looks as if the Lakers front office couldn't be more thrilled to have him which is big.
The business/politics of the NBA can really ruin the careers of some great rookies, so their reaction to picking Knecht makes me think that they consider him an immediate impact player for them.

Congratulations DK! Take your current work ethic to the NBA and you can have a long career. Invest your newfound wealth wisely to set yourself up financially for life. Thanks for the great season you brought to the VOLS!

Yahoo draft grades. 1 A+ for the first round, and it was DK. By far the worst grade of the 1st round. Edey with a D for Memphis. To put in context how bad Memphis's pick is viewed by them, there were no C grades in the first round. A B- was the second lowest grade issued.
Yep. Like I said, taking Edey at 9 is a HUGE stretch by Memphis. I still expect them to make some sort of deal for a veteran big man and try to develop Edey into something serviceable over time. No way he’s ready for the NBA game right now. I just hope he’s not another Hasheem Thabeet disaster.

Considering Clingen lasted till #7, I’m really surprised they couldn’t move up to draft him. I guess they just didn’t have enough to offer.

Yep. Like I said, taking Edey at 9 is a HUGE stretch by Memphis. I still expect them to make some sort of deal for a veteran big man and try to develop Edey into something serviceable over time. No way he’s ready for the NBA game right now. I just hope he’s not another Hasheem Thabeet disaster.

Considering Clingen lasted till #7, I’m really surprised they couldn’t move up to draft him. I guess they just didn’t have enough to offer.
Edey is a perfect fit for the Grizzlies. Look at who their last few centers have been.. he's arguably an upgrade over all of them. Knecht and Edey went to their best fit IMHO. Outside of the Heat and Sixers all the other teams that would have drafted Knecht were pretty much purgatory. the most likely teams that would have drafted him would have been Detroit, Charlotte and maybe the Spurs or Blazers. Of those, only the spurs are maybe not a bad spot. Rockets or Thunder have tons of developing young talent he wouldn't fit their timeline. Utah or Sacramento ick....I think the Spurs trading the 8 pick set this all off and started a run on PG's and a rash of trades. Minnesota needed a PG. Chicago just traded Caruso for Giddy they went for a defensive player to fill that gap at wing and Buzelis who was mocked at like 5 in most drats fell to them. He fell because of age.

The only guys drafted in front of him over 20 were Cling and Edey (big men) and Devin Carter (PG run and Sacramento is a team loaded at wing).

Edey is a perfect fit for the Grizzlies. Look at who their last few centers have been.. he's arguably an upgrade over all of them. Knecht and Edey went to their best fit IMHO. Outside of the Heat and Sixers all the other teams that would have drafted Knecht were pretty much purgatory. the most likely teams that would have drafted him would have been Detroit, Charlotte and maybe the Spurs or Blazers. Of those, only the spurs are maybe not a bad spot. Rockets or Thunder have tons of developing young talent he wouldn't fit their timeline. Utah or Sacramento ick....I think the Spurs trading the 8 pick set this all off and started a run on PG's and a rash of trades. Minnesota needed a PG. Chicago just traded Caruso for Giddy they went for a defensive player to fill that gap at wing and Buzelis who was mocked at like 5 in most drats fell to them. He fell because of age.

The only guys drafted in front of him over 20 were Cling and Edey (big men) and Devin Carter (PG run and Sacramento is a team loaded at wing).
They didn't need to use the 9th pick to overpay Edey. They could have traded down and still gotten him, added more assets, and had their player at a lower price.

That’s one opinion I guess. No question the Grizz have to get a big man. Personally though I think he’s not as good offensively as Jonas Valinciunis nor as good defensively or at rebounding or passing as Steven Adams. My main concern is his foot speed. He is going to get abused on high pick and rolls anytime he is in the game. Other teams will isolate and target him. I think the Grizz will sign a veteran big man at some point and hope to bring Edey along slowly.

Reactions: Lefteye
Nothing against Bronny James, but the obvious reality that seemingly nobody in the media has the self respect to say is this: no other franchise aside from the Lakers had Bronny on its draft board. He’s nowhere near ready to play professional basketball. Good for him that his dad is one of the best to ever play the game and still one of the best players in the league.

Reactions: VolNExile
Nothing against Bronny James, but the obvious reality that seemingly nobody in the media has the self respect to say is this: no other franchise aside from the Lakers had Bronny on its draft board. He’s nowhere near ready to play professional basketball. Good for him that his dad is one of the best to ever play the game and still one of the best players in the league.
Pretty sure many people in the media are saying what is and has been obvious. Bronny only got drafted because his dad is defacto GM of lakers.

VN Store

Back