Ky governor's race

We spar about left vs right on here and imho most of it is in good fun. Education at the primary level is woefully pathetic on the whole. luther will argue otherwise, but facts don't bear him out. Asian kids (especially immigrants) know the value of education and excel here. Why? The public model is broken.

Sorry for the partial rant.
Hilarious, you just defeated your own argument and don't even realize it. But on the other hand, if you were publicly educated, you are kind of supporting your own argument.

OK. First of all, I am sorry for your loss. As someone else said, cancer sucks.

Let's discuss the issue. You claim that public teachers are underpaid. I disagree to an extent, but how do you solve your perceived problem that they are underpaid? I think there are a couple of ways.

1) "Educate" young people that the teaching profession is a low paying/high reward one. The problem there is that young (girls especially) are molded from a very early age (by 'educators') that teaching is a good profession. (Ironically while at the same time bemoaning the low pay) It should be presented as what it is; a calling. You don't get rich teaching unless you get tenure at Harvard or Vanderbilt, and even then it is probably rare. So public education is not an unknown quantity. It should be well known when a young person gets to high school that if they go into teaching, they ain't gonna get rich. I know,money isn't everything. But it is in fact the focus of this discussion.

2) This one will make your skin as a big government liberal absolutely crawl. Privatize education. It is not uncommon for homeschooled kids (for example) to do better than their peers in many subjects when they do return to the public venues. I can hear you and luther screaming at the screen. IF you are then tell me this: Why are there waiting lists for charter schools in almost every major city in the country? And it is not 'rich white' families that are tying to get into them. They are minority families trying to do right by their kids. Yet at every turn, government leaders like Comrade DeBlasio fight them. Why? It's the same exact reason that there are carvings on medieval churches in Europe. Ignorance = absolute control over the populace. That is what the .gov craves. Ignorance and control.

We spar about left vs right on here and imho most of it is in good fun. Education at the primary level is woefully pathetic on the whole. luther will argue otherwise, but facts don't bear him out. Asian kids (especially immigrants) know the value of education and excel here. Why? The public model is broken.

On a side note, I would really like to teach a seminar on money at the local high school. I wouldn't charge for it, and actually have an idea for the kids to 'earn' a little walking around money while learning about it. It is painfully obvious to me that young people today are getting zero education when it comes to money because for some strange reason it is a taboo subject. The other day I bought a couple of bags of ice and a drink at Checkers. The tab was something like $3.78. I gave the girl $5.03 and she looked at me like I had two heads. That's not unusual, and it is flat out pathetic. Public education. Tell your buddy luther thanks for me will ya?

If you have Junior Achievement in your area they are always looking for volunteers to teach the Personal Finance program at high schools.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Oh, I do hate Trump. I've never denied that. But I don't hate him because he is a repub. president or because he beat Hillary or because I disagree with most of his policies; I hate him for the human that is.

Here here. I don't know what it is but there is something very messed up between his ears.

Hilarious, you just defeated your own argument and don't even realize it. But on the other hand, if you were publicly educated, you are kind of supporting your own argument.
I'm where I am in spite of my public education, not because of it.

And no I didn't defeat my own argument. You just can't read for comprehension.

I'm where I am in spite of my public education, not because of it.

And no I didn't defeat my own argument. You just can't read for comprehension.
Then by all means explain your quote below: Answer your on "why". See the knot in which you've tied yourself?
But I agree with you, just not your conclusion.

"Asian kids (especially immigrants) know the value of education and excel here. Why? The public model is broken."

Then by all means explain your quote below: Answer your on "why". See the knot in which you've tied yourself?

"Asian kids (especially immigrants) know the value of education and excel here. Why? The public model is broken."
Nope. You are seeing what you believe like the good little liberal you are.

When it comes to public school educators, I disagree. We must do what is necessary to make the profession of public education attractive to the skilled workforce. You also have the fact of Bevin's very uncouth name-calling here. Calling public school teachers 'selfish' or referring to them as 'thugs' was just plain stupid. They are among the most underpaid workers in our society, and they perform important and essential work. In a public feud between teachers and a politician, the teachers will win 100% of the time. Bevin needs a crash course in public relations, among other things.

My wife is and has been a College educator here in Georgia her entire life (retiring in June). Unfortunately Georgia is and has been one of those red anti education states. By anti education I basically mean they would rather see good teachers leave the state for greener pastures rather than pay them a competitive wage. They punish the teachers here because they tend to vote Liberal and most education organizations are Liberal. Their brilliant idea of keeping wages low is punishing the students as much as the educators.

As I stated above my wife is a college educator. I go to the Library often. The Asians and Hispanics and almost always outnumber the white kids even though the school is predominately white.

As I stated above my wife is a college educator. I go to the Library often. The Asians and Hispanics and almost always outnumber the white kids even though the school is predominately white.
So how do we fix the problem? I'll go first: Stop giving a trophy to everybody.

So how do we fix the problem? I'll go first: Stop giving a trophy to everybody.
In traditional Asian families the family unit is strong and deep. Education and hard work are values that are respected, taught and maintained from an early age onward. Excellence is expected and demanded no matter the conditions at the school or in the classroom. It's a society within a society.

It's not rocket science and it's not all on the teachers either. How many hours of the day/per week/per year do they get them? How many hours of the day/week/year do the parents get them to do their job as parents? What are the values being taught? What examples are they seeing?

Reactions: NEO
Only white men voting and owning human beings was also All-American to the founding fathers. You have no clue what is un-American based on your post history. Also no idea on basic economics, basic govt, basic math, basic English, etc
It wasn't just "white men" that owned human beings. Seems that blacks and Indians joined in .

www.snopes.com/fact-check/facts-about-slavery/

Reactions: Big Al Orange
In traditional Asian families the family unit is strong and deep. Education and hard work are values that are respected, taught and maintained from an early age onward. Excellence is expected and demanded no matter the conditions at the school or in the classroom. It's a society within a society.

It's not rocket science and it's not all on the teachers either. How many hours of the day/per week/per year do they get them? How many hours of the day/week/year do the parents get them to do their job as parents? What are the values being taught? What examples are they seeing?
How very conservative of you you racist bigot.

OK. First of all, I am sorry for your loss. As someone else said, cancer sucks.

Let's discuss the issue. You claim that public teachers are underpaid. I disagree to an extent, but how do you solve your perceived problem that they are underpaid? I think there are a couple of ways.

1) "Educate" young people that the teaching profession is a low paying/high reward one. The problem there is that young (girls especially) are molded from a very early age (by 'educators') that teaching is a good profession. (Ironically while at the same time bemoaning the low pay) It should be presented as what it is; a calling. You don't get rich teaching unless you get tenure at Harvard or Vanderbilt, and even then it is probably rare. So public education is not an unknown quantity. It should be well known when a young person gets to high school that if they go into teaching, they ain't gonna get rich. I know,money isn't everything. But it is in fact the focus of this discussion.

2) This one will make your skin as a big government liberal absolutely crawl. Privatize education. It is not uncommon for homeschooled kids (for example) to do better than their peers in many subjects when they do return to the public venues. I can hear you and luther screaming at the screen. IF you are then tell me this: Why are there waiting lists for charter schools in almost every major city in the country? And it is not 'rich white' families that are tying to get into them. They are minority families trying to do right by their kids. Yet at every turn, government leaders like Comrade DeBlasio fight them. Why? It's the same exact reason that there are carvings on medieval churches in Europe. Ignorance = absolute control over the populace. That is what the .gov craves. Ignorance and control.

On a side note, I would really like to teach a seminar on money at the local high school. I wouldn't charge for it, and actually have an idea for the kids to 'earn' a little walking around money while learning about it. It is painfully obvious to me that young people today are getting zero education when it comes to money because for some strange reason it is a taboo subject. The other day I bought a couple of bags of ice and a drink at Checkers. The tab was something like $3.78. I gave the girl $5.03 and she looked at me like I had two heads. She actually gave me back my $.03, and THEN gave me the $1.22 that the cash register told her to give me. She couldn't even put $5.03 into the freaking machine! That's not unusual, and it is flat out pathetic. Public education. Tell your buddy luther thanks for me will ya?

I mess them up all the time on change by doing what you did. I always try to get back the largest bills and the fewest coins possible.

Who didn't register for the draft?
For a person that's more concerned about spellchecking, it comes as no surprise you can't follow a conversation string. You don't register on the patriotism continuum.

For a person that's more concerned about spellchecking, it comes as no surprise you can't follow a conversation string. You don't register on the patriotism continuum.
Are you saying that Trump didn't register or what?

Not even close to what was being said.
I'll take your word for it. I usually just skim over most of this crap. Not interested enough to read through it all. I just figured your TDS had flared up again, and you were going after Trump for the 487th time.

How very conservative of you you racist bigot.

Being married to an Asian immigrant, I can attest that he was spot on. I am a member of the Asian community in Nashville and almost every one is the same way. Very family focused with high expectations for the kids.

Not sure why him stating facts about Asian kids makes him a bigot?

VN Store

Back