Lady Vols Soccer ⚽️ Ole Miss @ #23 Tennessee 7PM Thursday 9/19 Regal Stadium (Admission is free)

Heartbreaking loss.
Tennessee was up 2-1 late and lost it in a penalty shootout.

History of Tennessee soccer cont.
2018 season

Tennessee made program history with its deepest run in the NCAA Tournament, reaching the quarterfinal round as a No. 2 national seed in 2018. The Vols finished the season 16-3-3 overall, good for the program's highest winning percentage (.795) and fewest losses (3) in a single season.

UT's stout defensive unit limited opponents to a program-best 15 goals on the season, while the Vols' 12 shutouts tied a Tennessee record that has stood since 2003. The Vols netted 44 goals on the offensive end, marking the first time Tennessee scored 40-plus goals in back-to-back seasons since 2002-03.

IMG_6392.jpegIMG_6393.jpeg

Signing class
Abbey Burdette (Monrovia, Maryland), Makenna Curcuru (Henderson, Nevada), Emma Dize (Ashburn, Virginia), Jamie Goralski (Naperville, Illinois), Brice McInroy (Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania), Mackenzie Ostrom (Manvel, Texas) and Amy Thompson (Ashburn, Virginia).

Most of these players left the team after their first year. Thompson left after her junior year. Ostrom didn’t play much her senior year. The highlight signing was Burdette, she is currently playing professionally in Iceland.

Abbey Burdette

Forward
Monrovia, Md.
Urbana High School

Burdette joins the Vols after a record-setting four-year career at Urbana High School. She was named the 2017 Maryland Player of the Year and earned United Coaches All-America and All-Region honors. She was part of the 2015 Maryland Class 3A state championship team. She finished as Urbana's all-time career assist leader (41) and totaled a record 16 assists in a season. She finished with 57 career goals. Burdette is listed at No. 120 of Top Draw Soccer's IMG Academy Top 150. In addition to playing soccer, she also competed in basketball and indoor track at Urbana for a year. She plays club soccer with Maryland United and was a 2017 ECNL PDP national training camp attendee. She plans to study biomedical engineering at Tennessee.

Burdette on Why Tennessee: "The feeling of home that I got the first time I visited campus. I also felt really comfortable with all the girls on the team."

Very special senior class, they could have won it all, if I remember correctly, Bunny Shaw wasn’t 100% fit for the Stanford match and we had also lost one of our best player that season to injury.

Anna Bialczak, Meghan Flynn, MacKenzie Gouner, Danielle Marcano, Rylie O'Keefe, Bunny Shaw and Shae Yanez
IMG_6394.jpeg

History of Tennessee soccer cont.
2018 season

Tennessee made program history with its deepest run in the NCAA Tournament, reaching the quarterfinal round as a No. 2 national seed in 2018. The Vols finished the season 16-3-3 overall, good for the program's highest winning percentage (.795) and fewest losses (3) in a single season.

UT's stout defensive unit limited opponents to a program-best 15 goals on the season, while the Vols' 12 shutouts tied a Tennessee record that has stood since 2003. The Vols netted 44 goals on the offensive end, marking the first time Tennessee scored 40-plus goals in back-to-back seasons since 2002-03.

View attachment 621274View attachment 621275

Signing class
Abbey Burdette (Monrovia, Maryland), Makenna Curcuru (Henderson, Nevada), Emma Dize (Ashburn, Virginia), Jamie Goralski (Naperville, Illinois), Brice McInroy (Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania), Mackenzie Ostrom (Manvel, Texas) and Amy Thompson (Ashburn, Virginia).

Most of these players left the team after their first year. Thompson left after her junior year. Ostrom didn’t play much her senior year. The highlight signing was Burdette, she is currently playing professionally in Iceland.

Abbey Burdette

Forward
Monrovia, Md.
Urbana High School

Burdette joins the Vols after a record-setting four-year career at Urbana High School. She was named the 2017 Maryland Player of the Year and earned United Coaches All-America and All-Region honors. She was part of the 2015 Maryland Class 3A state championship team. She finished as Urbana's all-time career assist leader (41) and totaled a record 16 assists in a season. She finished with 57 career goals. Burdette is listed at No. 120 of Top Draw Soccer's IMG Academy Top 150. In addition to playing soccer, she also competed in basketball and indoor track at Urbana for a year. She plays club soccer with Maryland United and was a 2017 ECNL PDP national training camp attendee. She plans to study biomedical engineering at Tennessee.

Burdette on Why Tennessee: "The feeling of home that I got the first time I visited campus. I also felt really comfortable with all the girls on the team."

Very special senior class, they could have won it all, if I remember correctly, Bunny Shaw wasn’t 100% fit for the Stanford match and we had also lost one of our best player that season to injury.

Anna Bialczak, Meghan Flynn, MacKenzie Gouner, Danielle Marcano, Rylie O'Keefe, Bunny Shaw and Shae Yanez
View attachment 621277

I really enjoyed watching Abby Burdette play! I was disappointed she couldn’t find a home in the NWSL, but her last year wasn’t the team’s best performance and the roster spots are so limited.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I really enjoyed watching Abby Burdette play! I was disappointed she couldn’t find a home in the NWSL, but her last year wasn’t the team’s best performance and the roster spots are so limited.

Burdette should look for opportunities in Iceland, where nearly all of our players have found a start for their professional careers. We should have a pretty good reputation among clubs in that league by now.

Burdette should look for opportunities in Iceland, where nearly all of our players have found a start for their professional careers. We should have a pretty good reputation among clubs in that league by now.
Do you think the USL women’s league could absorb some of that talent so players don’t have to go abroad if they aren’t drafted? I’m not so familiar with the USL league, though I hope to catch some games this year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Do you think the USL women’s league could absorb some of that talent so players don’t have to go abroad if they aren’t drafted? I’m not so familiar with the USL league, though I hope to catch some games this year.

Yes--see below.

I'm sure it will take years for clubs and the league to get established at this higher level. Conditions and pay for players may not be ideal for a while, but it will offer more opportunities for players to play professionally--if the league succeeds. There is no guarantee that it will.

I really don't know much about it now--don't some college players play for USL teams now in the summer? While the USL will be at the same operating level as the NWSL now, right, in practice I think it will become something like a junior varsity to the NWSL--or to use a pro baseball analogy, more like a AAA club, one level below the the Major League. I mean, it's only now that the NWSL seems to have gained real traction. It's taken 25 years for women's pro soccer to gain a commercial foothold. (The NWSL was established in 2012 as the successor to Women's Professional Soccer (WPS; 2007–2012), which was itself the successor to Women's United Soccer Association (2001–2003). Does the NWSL even have a decent broadcast/streaming package yet? I used to watch NWSL games a few years ago--but it became too hard to find outlets/sites that were broadcasting the games for free, and I'm not going to take out another subscription for the NWSL. I simply now watch game highlights on YouTube. The USL will have to try and negotiate some broadcast/streaming deals, because without that broadcast exposure, it's harder to generate public interest. TV money--in theory--can help clubs substantially, if and when the deals are big enough.

"On Friday, U.S. Soccer approved Division I sanctioning for the USL Super League, which is set to begin later this year. The season will run from fall to summer, different from how the NWSL and MLS currently schedule their games but on par with the European calendar. USLSL president Amanda Vandervort told The Athletic last May they would seek to recruit international as well as domestic players.

To earn the top division billing in the women’s outdoor league, the USLSL needed:

• A minimum of eight teams
  • Stadiums with a 5,000 minimum seating capacity
  • Operational budget for three years
  • 75% of clubs to play in metropolitan markets with populations of at least 750,000
  • Teams with one principal owner with at least a 35% share and an individual net worth of at least $25 million, among other requirements.
The USLSL originally applied for Division II sanctioning in 2021, but changed course last year, announcing its Division I intentions in May.

She started playing in Iceland last year for UMF Selfoss.

Burdette brought in to tie up the middle​

IMG_5980.jpeg

Abbey Burdette in Selfoss kit.

The Selfoss soccer club has finalized a contract with the American midfielder Abbey Burdette. Abbey is 23 years old and comes straight out of college football, where she was a key player on the University of Tennessee team.

"We are hoping that Abbey can help us tie the middle together and give us more weight in the attack," says Björn Sigurbjörnsson, coach of the women's championship group, while Burdette was in the player selection for the American professional league earlier in the year.

I’m more optimistic about the USL W league. They won’t admit it but I believe their plan is to overtake the NWSL.

She started playing in Iceland last year for UMF Selfoss.

Burdette brought in to tie up the middle​

View attachment 621350

Abbey Burdette in Selfoss kit.

The Selfoss soccer club has finalized a contract with the American midfielder Abbey Burdette. Abbey is 23 years old and comes straight out of college football, where she was a key player on the University of Tennessee team.

"We are hoping that Abbey can help us tie the middle together and give us more weight in the attack," says Björn Sigurbjörnsson, coach of the women's championship group, while Burdette was in the player selection for the American professional league earlier in the year.

What would we do without Iceland! Good luck to her! Thanks, Mad.

I’m more optimistic about the USL W league. They won’t admit it but I believe their plan is to overtake the NWSL.

Interesting. What gives you this idea? I would think it would be hard to overtake the NWSL, which has expanded quite a lot in the last
four years and is now in many of the best markets--LA, NJ/NY, Chicago, Washington/No. Virginia, now San Jose, plus a bunch of cities where women's soccer is well-received--Portland, Seattle, Louisville, Raleigh/Durham. Can some many of these cities support a second women's soccer franchise? That would be very problematic, I'd think. Aren't most USL franchises in smaller cities? It would take a lot to overtake the NWSL....

Reactions: chuckiepoo

I had to look up who this was. I'm not sure I've seen Klurman play for us yet--maybe I've missed it. She came from ECNL club PDA, as I recall. Wasn't she among the injured last year?

Kirt will HAVE to play a lot of players this year or he's going to have a lot of unhappy players. This is the risk of over-signing and bringing in a lot of transfers who come with a firm expectation to play.

Reactions: MAD
Interesting. What gives you this idea? I would think it would be hard to overtake the NWSL, which has expanded quite a lot in the last
four years and is now in many of the best markets--LA, NJ/NY, Chicago, Washington/No. Virginia, now San Jose, plus a bunch of cities where women's soccer is well-received--Portland, Seattle, Louisville, Raleigh/Durham. Can some many of these cities support a second women's soccer franchise? That would be very problematic, I'd think. Aren't most USL franchises in smaller cities? It would take a lot to overtake the NWSL....
Correction, I meant USL Super League.

I believe they have the infrastructure in place, they plan on mirroring the European calendar instead of the NWSL’s summer schedule.

In men’s soccer the USL already has Championship league, League one and League two. They also have academy and youth leagues for both men and women.

The Super League was gonna come in as a division 2 league but decided to postpone it a year to try and get first division status, same as the NWSL. And they succeeded.

They already have the USL W League that has been thriving in just its third season.

The USL W League is the premier pre-professional league developing the women’s talent, enhancing the women’s soccer pipeline between college and professional soccer.

They started with 44 teams across 20 states in its inaugural season in 2022. By the 2023 season the league had grown to 65 teams. This their 3rd season, 80 teams will participate, playing in 4 conferences and 12 divisions.

I believe the Super League will expand the same way and eventually become a relegation/promotion system. Something the NWSL is against.

Tide, Vols women’s soccer teams collide in Rocket City Spring Shootout

IMG_6416.jpeg

HUNTSVILLE – Southeastern Conference rivals Alabama and Tennessee will visit the Valley next month to settle a women’s soccer dispute at the Loretta Spencer Complex.

The inaugural Rocket City Spring Shootout is set for March 23.

“We are delighted to be a part of the inaugural ‘Rocket City Spring Shootout’!” Alabama head coach Wes Hart said. “I cannot think of a better way to kick off what we hope will be an annual event than with our rivals to the north – Tennessee. Our matches with them are always highly contested and Huntsville is a fitting location for this ‘Border Battle’.

“This will be a great opportunity for the soccer communities and Crimson Tide fans of northern Alabama to check out some SEC level women’s soccer while hopefully supporting other levels of the game during the event as well.”

Gulf South Conference members Union and Trevecca Nazarene are part of the Shootout doubleheader kicking off at 1 p.m. Alabama’s reserves will play a shortened match against Union or Trevecca following the full match versus Tennessee.

“The Rocket City Spring Shootout continues our drive to be one of the premier women’s sports destinations in the country,” said Joel Lamp, sports manager for the Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau. “The teamwork between the CVB, Sports Commission, Parks & Recreation, and Huntsville City FC enables us to bring two nationally ranked programs to Huntsville and start a tradition that deepens our community’s love for the beautiful game.”

“Huntsville has shown time and again that we are a soccer city and we are excited to add a new chapter to that story,” said Mark Russell, executive director of the Huntsville Sports Commission. “This is a tremendous opportunity to expose our young soccer players to these great athletes and the opportunities that exist after high school.”

Tickets for the Shootout are on sale through the Huntsville City FC online box office for $10 each. More events around the Shootout will be announced.

“We are thrilled to host two SEC rivals at our club’s training grounds for what is sure to be an exciting match,” said Chad Emerson, Managing Director of Business Operations for Huntsville City FC. “We are confident this match will continue to grow and strengthen the game of soccer in North Alabama and we look forward to welcoming the Crimson Tide, the Lady Volunteers and soccer fans from across the region to our facilities.”

VN Store

Back