Lady Vols Soccer ⚽️ Ole Miss @ #23 Tennessee 7PM Thursday 9/19 Regal Stadium (Admission is free)

Concacaf is, overall, a terrible grouping. The U.S. and Canada are the only two serious, top-level federations/teams in the group. Then Mexico, which is not all that good, and after that a bunch of tiny countries in central America and the Caribbean that cannot compete. So what is this tournament--a competition among teams from Concacaf and Conmebol?

Reactions: MAD
History of Tennessee soccer cont.
2018 season

Tennessee made program history with its deepest run in the NCAA Tournament, reaching the quarterfinal round as a No. 2 national seed in 2018. The Vols finished the season 16-3-3 overall, good for the program's highest winning percentage (.795) and fewest losses (3) in a single season.

UT's stout defensive unit limited opponents to a program-best 15 goals on the season, while the Vols' 12 shutouts tied a Tennessee record that has stood since 2003. The Vols netted 44 goals on the offensive end, marking the first time Tennessee scored 40-plus goals in back-to-back seasons since 2002-03.

View attachment 621274View attachment 621275

Signing class
Abbey Burdette (Monrovia, Maryland), Makenna Curcuru (Henderson, Nevada), Emma Dize (Ashburn, Virginia), Jamie Goralski (Naperville, Illinois), Brice McInroy (Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania), Mackenzie Ostrom (Manvel, Texas) and Amy Thompson (Ashburn, Virginia).

Most of these players left the team after their first year. Thompson left after her junior year. Ostrom didn’t play much her senior year. The highlight signing was Burdette, she is currently playing professionally in Iceland.

Abbey Burdette

Forward
Monrovia, Md.
Urbana High School

Burdette joins the Vols after a record-setting four-year career at Urbana High School. She was named the 2017 Maryland Player of the Year and earned United Coaches All-America and All-Region honors. She was part of the 2015 Maryland Class 3A state championship team. She finished as Urbana's all-time career assist leader (41) and totaled a record 16 assists in a season. She finished with 57 career goals. Burdette is listed at No. 120 of Top Draw Soccer's IMG Academy Top 150. In addition to playing soccer, she also competed in basketball and indoor track at Urbana for a year. She plays club soccer with Maryland United and was a 2017 ECNL PDP national training camp attendee. She plans to study biomedical engineering at Tennessee.

Burdette on Why Tennessee: "The feeling of home that I got the first time I visited campus. I also felt really comfortable with all the girls on the team."

Very special senior class, they could have won it all, if I remember correctly, Bunny Shaw wasn’t 100% fit for the Stanford match and we had also lost one of our best player that season to injury.

Anna Bialczak, Meghan Flynn, MacKenzie Gouner, Danielle Marcano, Rylie O'Keefe, Bunny Shaw and Shae Yanez
View attachment 621277

2019 season

The Tennessee soccer program concluded the 2019 season 9-6-3 overall, including an 8-2 record at Regal Soccer Stadium.

Maya Neal (first team) and Katie Cousins (second team) concluded their careers as four-time All-SEC performers, becoming the fourth and fifth players in UT history to accomplish that feat. Senior forward MA Vignola had a breakout season with career-highs in goals (9) and assists (5) on the way to first team all-conference honors, while rookie goalkeeper Lindsey Romig broke the program record with a 0.58 goals-against average and was named to the SEC All-Freshman team.
IMG_6406.jpeg

After such a brilliant 2018 season, 2019 was very disappointing. Lady Vols failed to qualify for postseason play.
IMG_6405.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

Michelle Alozie

Graduate transfer from Yale, currently playing in the NWSL

Isabella Cook

Transferred after her Junior year to Marquette after getting very little playing time her junior year.

Hadley Cytron

Transferred after her freshman year to Morehead State

Claudia Dipasupil

Played all four years and was planning to come back but Medically retired prior to the start of the 2023 season.

Alicia Donley

Played limited minutes in 2019 and 2020 transferred to Dayton.

Anna Quinn French

Younger sister of Wrenne French

Not sure what happened, I don’t think she ended up playing any soccer in college. Maybe @turbo remembers.

Mackenzie George

Played for 5 years and currently playing in Iceland.

Bridie Hermann

Transferred to Liberty after her Jr year

Tara Katz

Suffered a season-ending injury during preseason training last year, transferred to Furman.

Colleen Mcilvenna

Played limited minutes in 2019 and 2020, transferred to Holy Cross.

Maria Nelson

Missed the 2020-21 season due to injury. Graduated this year.

Sonia Ouchene

Left after yer freshman year to play professional in Europe.

Lindsey Romig

Played an instrumental role in Tennessee recording a program-record 13 shutouts during its record-setting 20-3-0 SEC Championship campaign.

Jaida Thomas

Ranks second on Tennessee's all-time goals list with 39; Kylee Rossi (2005-08) holds the program record with 43 career goals. Surely she will break it this year.

Giselle Washington

Graduated this year

Brazil is ranked # 9 in the world
Puerto Rico is ranked 107

That PR has kept the game scoreless through 25' is already an achievement. I could watch this match but am not up for it as I don't think Marcano is going to see much of the ball in PR's attacking half in this game. I'm sure Brazil will dominate the ball. Maybe she'll get an chance or two on long-ball counters...

Reactions: brittannica
Brazil is ranked # 9 in the world
Puerto Rico is ranked 107

That PR has kept the game scoreless through 25' is already an achievement. I could watch this match but am not up for it as I don't think Marcano is going to see much of the ball in PR's attacking half in this game. I'm sure Brazil will dominate the ball. Maybe she'll get an chance or two on long-ball counters...
Marcano put a nice ball in the box close to the end of the half and no one could connect.

Reactions: turbovol
Brazil won 1-0

I think Puerto Rico can beat Panama.

Wow, amazing performance by Puerto Rico. Watched only a few minutes of tonight's game, but they've obviously played extremely well defensively---giving up a lot of possession to both Haiti and Brazil and yet staying organized, working hard to challenge the ball, getting it out out their box. They should be proud and certainly look a bit better than No. 107 in the world.

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
This a great watch, love to see the passion of enjoying what you do. This is the real American dream.

This a great watch, love to see the passion of enjoying what you do. This is the real American dream.

Playing for a coach that emotes passion and love for for any sport would get the best effort out of most athletes, I know it would me. Love stories like his thanks for posting!

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
2019 season

The Tennessee soccer program concluded the 2019 season 9-6-3 overall, including an 8-2 record at Regal Soccer Stadium.

Maya Neal (first team) and Katie Cousins (second team) concluded their careers as four-time All-SEC performers, becoming the fourth and fifth players in UT history to accomplish that feat. Senior forward MA Vignola had a breakout season with career-highs in goals (9) and assists (5) on the way to first team all-conference honors, while rookie goalkeeper Lindsey Romig broke the program record with a 0.58 goals-against average and was named to the SEC All-Freshman team.
View attachment 621680

After such a brilliant 2018 season, 2019 was very disappointing. Lady Vols failed to qualify for postseason play.
View attachment 621681

View attachment 621682

Michelle Alozie

Graduate transfer from Yale, currently playing in the NWSL

Isabella Cook

Transferred after her Junior year to Marquette after getting very little playing time her junior year.

Hadley Cytron

Transferred after her freshman year to Morehead State

Claudia Dipasupil

Played all four years and was planning to come back but Medically retired prior to the start of the 2023 season.

Alicia Donley

Played limited minutes in 2019 and 2020 transferred to Dayton.

Anna Quinn French

Younger sister of Wrenne French

Not sure what happened, I don’t think she ended up playing any soccer in college. Maybe @turbo remembers.

Mackenzie George

Played for 5 years and currently playing in Iceland.

Bridie Hermann

Transferred to Liberty after her Jr year

Tara Katz

Suffered a season-ending injury during preseason training last year, transferred to Furman.

Colleen Mcilvenna

Played limited minutes in 2019 and 2020, transferred to Holy Cross.

Maria Nelson

Missed the 2020-21 season due to injury. Graduated this year.

Sonia Ouchene

Left after yer freshman year to play professional in Europe.

Lindsey Romig

Played an instrumental role in Tennessee recording a program-record 13 shutouts during its record-setting 20-3-0 SEC Championship campaign.

Jaida Thomas

Ranks second on Tennessee's all-time goals list with 39; Kylee Rossi (2005-08) holds the program record with 43 career goals. Surely she will break it this year.

Giselle Washington

Graduated this year
Tennessee soccer history cont.

2020 season.

The season we all want to forget.

IMG_6478.jpeg

In a season unlike any other, Tennessee played a conference-only slate in the fall before wrapping up the campaign with six non-conference matchups in the spring. The Vols captured the SEC East title, going 4-1-1 against divisional opponents which included shutout victories over No. 10 Vanderbilt (1-0) and No. 9 South Carolina (1-0). UT went 4-2 in the spring, posting clean sheets against Gardner-Webb (6-0), App State (7-0) and Wake Forest (2-0).

Redshirt freshman Jaida Thomas had one of the most prolific rookie campaigns in program history, leading the SEC with 12 goals, 25 points and five game-winners on the season. She was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team and picked up four SEC Freshman of the Week nods throughout the year. Junior forward Mackenzie George was selected to the All-SEC Second Team, rounding out the season with four goals and four assists.

IMG_6479.jpeg
The sixth out of the last eight seasons, a Pensky team failed to make the NCAA Tournament.

2020 season.

The season we all want to forget.

View attachment 621994

In a season unlike any other, Tennessee played a conference-only slate in the fall before wrapping up the campaign with six non-conference matchups in the spring. The Vols captured the SEC East title, going 4-1-1 against divisional opponents which included shutout victories over No. 10 Vanderbilt (1-0) and No. 9 South Carolina (1-0). UT went 4-2 in the spring, posting clean sheets against Gardner-Webb (6-0), App State (7-0) and Wake Forest (2-0).

Redshirt freshman Jaida Thomas had one of the most prolific rookie campaigns in program history, leading the SEC with 12 goals, 25 points and five game-winners on the season. She was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team and picked up four SEC Freshman of the Week nods throughout the year. Junior forward Mackenzie George was selected to the All-SEC Second Team, rounding out the season with four goals and four assists.

View attachment 621995
The sixth out of the last eight seasons, a Pensky team failed to make the NCAA Tournament.

2021 season.

IMG_6528.jpeg

In a historic season, Tennessee captured its first SEC Tournament title since 2008, taking a decisive 3-0 win over No. 5 Arkansas in Orange Beach. The squad left quite a mark on the record book, starting by opening the 2021 campaign with seven straight shutouts to set a new program record for longest shutout streak of 633:53. The group went on to amass a program-best 13 shutouts and recorded 20 wins for the first time in school history. With a record of 8-2 in conference play, UT claimed its second straight SEC East title. The Vols entered the NCAA Tournament as a No. 3 seed, advancing to the NCAA Round of 16 with wins over Lipscomb (3-0) and No. 15 Washington State (2-0). Tennessee's historic run came to an end in Ann Arbor, falling to the host team, No. 9 Michigan, 3-0. The Vols landed at No. 11 in the final rankings.

Head coach Brian Pensky was named SEC Coach of the Year and Taylor Huff earned SEC Freshman of the Year honors. Senior Mackenzie George earned First Team All-SEC honors while redshirt-sophomore Jaida Thomas, senior Wrenne French, and Huff were named Second Team All-SEC. Tennessee placed three on the SEC All-Freshman Team with Huff, Jordan Fusco, and Claire Rain each making the list. George, French, Thomas and Huff were all named to the 2021 United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I All-Southeast Region First Team, and Thomas and French each earned All-America honors, making second and third teams, respectively.

IMG_6529.jpeg
IMG_6527.jpeg

Wow--different sport, but I just got a big kick out of watching our women swimmers beat rival florida in the 400 meter
medley relay. What a race. Mona McSharry, our Olympic breast-stroker who earlier tonight won her 3rd straight 100 meter
SEC title (setting a conference record in doing so) gave us a significant lead on the second, breast-stroke leg, and talented
freshman Camille Spink brought the gold home on the final, tense freestyle leg, holding off the gator swimmer who was gaining
on her at the end. Our other two swimmers in the event were the talented back-stroker Josephine Fuller and Brooklyn Douthwright.
on the fly leg. Great race in a glamour event.

There's one more day to go--but Florida's women seem poised to win the title for the 2nd straight year after being somewhat down for a few years. We won the title twice in four years--and for the second straight year will come in second. Two years ago we lost a great swimmer in McSharry's Irish compatriot, Ellen Walshe, who won two or three events at the SEC Championship as a freshman and was the swimmer of the meet. But, after one season, she opted not to return to UT and went back to Ireland. I don't think she's in college at all. (Mistake.) Losing her and florida gaining some top recruits has enabled florida to overtake us on the women's side--but we remain a powerful program.

On the men's side, Florida has dominated for years. They will win their 13th straight SEC title, or something like that, tomorrow. Our men are in 3rd right now but could finish second--as we did last year. We have an outstanding swimming program and Matt Kredich is one of the best swimming coaches in the country--and a great guy. Recall that he lost his son, Ben, in a tragic accident earlier this year (or late last year--I forget) when some dude who was high on herion, or just coming off a herion high and hospitlization, blanked out in his car, ran up on the sidewalk and hit Ben Kredich, killing him. Many of the swimmers had "BEN" written on their shoulders tonight, I saw--very touching

Reactions: MAD
LVFL Danielle Marcano is in the starting 11 for Puerto Rico.
Match starts at 7:30 on ESPN Deportes & Paramount +

IMG_6553.jpegIMG_6546.jpeg

VN Store

Back