Lakers preparing massive offer for Dan Hurley

Posting this here since UConn is involved. Seems risky for the Lakers. Thoughts? (merged. didn't see the other thread)

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
Seems like a hire worth the risk to me. I don't know the track record of college coaches who transition to the pros.

Who would be an accomplished current pro coach the Lakers could hire instead of Hurley?

Posting this here since UConn is involved. Seems risky for the Lakers. Thoughts? (merged. didn't see the other thread)

High risk, high reward. He’s a truly great coach, only question is can he adjust his temperament and attitude to fit the NBA. He’s a very intense guy who rides his players. Don’t think that would go over well in the pros.

Given Hurley’s incredible intensity and antics that are somewhat immature at times, I’m surprised that that job, in that town would be attractive to him. He’s such a blue collar guy from a blue collar family and town, it seems like a weird marriage.

High risk, high reward. He’s a truly great coach, only question is can he adjust his temperament and attitude to fit the NBA. He’s a very intense guy who rides his players. Don’t think that would go over well in the pros.
I can't believe LBJ (apparently) is on board with it. He seems like he would hate a coach like Hurley.

Given Hurley’s incredible intensity and antics that are somewhat immature at times, I’m surprised that that job, in that town would be attractive to him. He’s such a blue collar guy from a blue collar family and town, it seems like a weird marriage.
The obvious answer to that question would be "money talks," but he already turned down $11m/year to go to UK. Maybe the Lakers are offering to make him the highest paid coach in the NBA, which would be $17m+.

The obvious answer to that question would be "money talks," but he already turned down $11m/year to go to UK. Maybe the Lakers are offering to make him the highest paid coach in the NBA, which would be $17m+.
Dan Patrick just replayed an interview from April where DH gives some reasons why he might entertain taking an NBA job. One of them being burned out, he points out that once the season is over it’s essentially free agency for everyone and that college basketball is basically the G League. So why coach in the sort of pro wannabe G league w/o any structure when you can coach actual pros and only worry about coaching? But according to all the geniuses in the FF he’s in the wrong, he’s not adapting.

Last edited:
Seems like a hire worth the risk to me. I don't know the track record of college coaches who transition to the pros.

Who would be an accomplished current pro coach the Lakers could hire instead of Hurley?
They’ve hired and fired them already. 😴 They’ve reached pre-suspended George Steinbrenner Yankees level as far as franchise management. First time Lebron or Davis sniffs at an end of game strategy, Hurley is out on his ear…mega contract or no.

Reactions: tbwhhs and McDad
I don’t know why any coach would want to coach Queen James. He gets coaches fired quicker than Squirrel White scores a td. Think of all the coaches who’ve been fired because Queen James’ team didn’t win the championship.

There's a decent chance James won't be with the Lakers next season.

You don't think he'll leave to play with his kid?
Nah. His kid is only working out for 2 or 3 teams, one is the Lakers, one is the Suns and I don’t see them making a LeBron-Durant trade or something. Reports have said LeBron wants to stay in LA

Nah. His kid is only working out for 2 or 3 teams, one is the Lakers, one is the Suns and I don’t see them making a LeBron-Durant trade or something. Reports have said LeBron wants to stay in LA

When does he have to decide to accept the option or not?

LeBron has basically been the head coach of the Lakers since he got there. So I'm a little surprised here because I don't think that would be the same dynamic if they hired Hurley.

Reactions: Pennheel
So does that mean Reddick is off the table? I read where he was the front runner for the job yesterday.

I don’t think there’s really a decent chance of that

Honestly, a second round pick in the NBA draft seems to be worth about a half eaten bag of store brand potato chips. Fans seem to value these picks far more than the teams actually do.

Think the Lakers second round is down around pick 62 or 64, thereabouts anyway.

Wouldn't shock me for some random team to draft Bronny mid second (ahead of the Lakers anyway) out of half pure spite and half hopes that they could convince the old man to leave LA.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Honestly, a second round pick in the NBA draft seems to be worth about a half eaten bag of store brand potato chips. Fans seem to value these picks far more than the teams actually do.

Think the Lakers second round is down around pick 62 or 64, thereabouts anyway.

Wouldn't shock me for some random team to draft Bronny mid second (ahead of the Lakers anyway) out of half pure spite and half hopes that they could convince the old man to leave LA.
or force the Lakers to trade for him, investing even more to a wasted pick.

VN Store

Back