Lakers preparing massive offer for Dan Hurley

Yeah, and in more ways than one. There's also the fact that he's a hardass college coach who would be coming to coach an NBA team with a superstar player on it who is bigger than the coach. The Lakers are far from the only team where that is the case, but they are probably the most prominent current example.

It likely was a horrible fit (this whole thing comes off as the Lakers reaching, desperately trying to do something to kick-start their franchise again) and props to him for recognizing that.
I think there will be a lot of moving pieces w/ that organization in the next few years. Major pieces like Lebron retiring or leaving. AD’s contract in a few years . There’s so much uncertainty in that franchise in particular and w/ a league that coddles its players more than any other professional league, it just doesn’t mesh well w/ his personality. At least at job in the Northeast he could have some sense of familiarity in a league that might be out of his comfort zone. Now if Hurley had a Kobe type of player who was well known for being receptive to hard coaching , wanting hard coaching , I think that might’ve made a difference. Not saying LBJ doesn’t, but it’s well known Kobe liked people matching his intensity. Danny Hurley strikes me as that kind of guy .

Reactions: 05_never_again
Yeah,Reddick is going to be the sacrificial lamb for the Lakers after Hurley turned them down. Hurley gives off that "Bruce Springsteen of college basketball " Jersey mentality,and the family wants to stay there. He has it made!

the NBA is in win or go home mode. Cleveland has built a solid program but has spent the last 3-4 years as a second tier NBA team and their coach got fired. Frank Vogel has a ring, a winning record, and can't hold a steady job. The Hornets won't even let a coach get his feet wet and figure out what to do with their embarassing lineup before he's fired. It's not just an LBJ thing. And I'm not a fan of the way LBJ handles his on court business. I do appreciate most of his stances elsewhere.

Reactions: NashVol11
the NBA is in win or go home mode. Cleveland has built a solid program but has spent the last 3-4 years as a second tier NBA team and their coach got fired. Frank Vogel has a ring, a winning record, and can't hold a steady job. The Hornets won't even let a coach get his feet wet and figure out what to do with their embarassing lineup before he's fired. It's not just an LBJ thing. And I'm not a fan of the way LBJ handles his on court business. I do appreciate most of his stances elsewhere.
It seems like the only coach that doesn’t get fired is Spoelstra, also Kerr.

I don’t know why any coach would want to coach Queen James. He gets coaches fired quicker than Squirrel White scores a td. Think of all the coaches who’ve been fired because Queen James’ team didn’t win the championship.

Let's not pretend this is unique to Lebron. Budenholzer won a title, then lost with Middleton out, then lost with Giannis hurt, and so fired. His replacement has already been fired after going like 35-19 or something like that.

Monty Williams took Phoenix to the finals in 2021. Fired by 2023. Their new coach (Vogel) only lasted a year.

This is the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashVol11
The Lakers are now like Kentucky. Because if their past they think they should be able to hire who they want. No good coaches want to deal with Leflop and all of his drama.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
The Lakers are now like Kentucky. Because if their past they think they should be able to hire who they want. No good coaches want to deal with Leflop and all of his drama.

Hurley's decision is not about Lebron. Hurley used them to try to leverage UConn more and the suspicion is Lakers used Hurley in a mutually beneficial charade. Lebron wanted Hurley. Lakers steal headlines during a Celtics finals, they appease Lebron but weren't ever going to actually pony up $70m.

I don’t see it as a win for the Lakers. They get publicly turned down by a college coach. Again. Celtics about to pass Lakers for most championships in the same week. Still don’t have a coach. There are other ways to spin how the Lakers front office is faltering .

I honestly don't understand why anybody thinks this is a bad look*, and do they care more about that look than appeasing Lebron who is entering FA? I say no.

*there are 100 reasons to stay at UConn and none of them have anything to do with the Lakers.

I honestly don't understand why anybody thinks this is a bad look*, and do they care more about that look than appeasing Lebron who is entering FA? I say no.

*there are 100 reasons to stay at UConn and none of them have anything to do with the Lakers.
It's a a bad look because they are a marquee franchise who looks like they made a swing for a big name coach and got told "no." Even if that isn't precisely what happened.

You know a lot more about basketball than I do, so I'm assuming you're correct, but I'm surprised LBJ would want Hurley. I know he's sang his praises on Twitter, but LBJ doesn't strike me as a guy who would want a hardass college coach.

I agree that Hurley’s reasons for staying had more to do w/ his own personal things other than the Lakers . I think perception wise the Lakers are starting to have a very Dallas Cowboys feel, where there is always some drama occurring. You may be right that what they’re doing isn’t unique to the Lakers and Lebron, but when you’re the biggest brand in the NBA w/ the biggest name, who has been known for basically hiring and firing coaches, you’re going to be under the microscope. There always seems to be a level of dysfunction w/ them. The Buss family has taken on the same feeling as Jerry Jones .

Reactions: 05_never_again
It's a a bad look because they are a marquee franchise who looks like they made a swing for a big name coach and got told "no." Even if that isn't precisely what happened.

Nobody else can get Hurley so it doesn't mean anything. He already evaded the biggest brand in college and now the biggest brand in NBA. He's staying where he's comfortable and I'm always surprised that more coaches don't do this.

I agree that Hurley’s reasons for staying had more to do w/ his own personal things other than the Lakers . I think perception wise the Lakers are starting to have a very Dallas Cowboys feel, where there is always some drama occurring. You may be right that what they’re doing isn’t unique to the Lakers and Lebron, but when you’re the biggest brand in the NBA w/ the biggest name, who has been known for basically hiring and firing coaches, you’re going to be under the microscope. There always seems to be a level of dysfunction w/ them. The Buss family has taken on the same feeling as Jerry Jones .

They won a title just 4 years ago and were in the WCF last year. What was their drama this year?

I just don't understand the deterrent you guys think this is. A few Lakers haters on the internet get to make fun of them because Hurley turned them down? So what? Why would they care about that? People will take bad press over no press and this is hardly even an L and Volnation has a thread about it.

They won a title just 4 years ago and were in the WCF last year. What was their drama this year?

I just don't understand the deterrent you guys think this is. A few Lakers haters on the internet get to make fun of them because Hurley turned them down? So what? Why would they care about that? People will take bad press over no press and this is hardly even an L and Volnation has a thread about it.
Doesn’t firing your coach a year removed from making the WCF count as drama? Maybe not for most teams these days, but they’re not the Lakers. People are always going to speculate as the reasons why there is that quick of turnover despite having success. You have Lebron’s window closing. Whether it’s real or not, the noise about Bronny being drafted is kind of there, which makes people question who is really running the organization. AD isn’t boring. The bottom line is that It’s the Lakers and it’s Lebron and drama always follows both. Both good and bad because they’re interesting.

VN Store

Back