Lakers preparing massive offer for Dan Hurley

LeBron as a nearly 40 year old man had to drag his team kicking and screaming to and through the playoffs. AD as good as he is would disappear even when not hurt. The lakers have put an awful team together around two stars but one star is 40 and the other is injury prone and streaky.

Simmons and Russillo are still talking about the Hurley thing. They seem to think it was a work and that the Lakers were trying to drive down the price on Reddick. Russillo was just on Reddick's show, so he may have some intel he's not attributing to JJ. The other thing they are pointing out is how weird it was for Hurley to make the statements that he made after the fact. He went out of his way to talk about how all the speculation is wrong. Why even comment?

Bro really does not like LeBron lol

I don't have any issue with people saying MJ > (I agree) but some of these dudes act like LeBron is a bum, like he wouldn't dominate in MJ's era also. I assume part of it is political and disliking him personally because I can't fathom how anyone would put him down as a player like I've seen from these angry old guys on the internet. They aren't watching at worst or barely watching and not understanding what they are seeing at best

I have no issue with people saying peak MJ is better than Lebron. It's a tough debate. They both had about 10-12 seasons as the league's best player, but at this point, Lebron has put in 21 seasons as a top 10ish player and MJ's number there is still just 12. I think in 20 years people are going to look at that and wonder how there is even a debate about resume, especially considering how much more talent there is in this era. To be a top 10 player in MJ's day meant you were a top 9 American bc of Hakeem. Today, it means you are a top 5 American bc of Shai, Jokic, Doncic, Giannis, and Embiid.

Last edited:
Bro really does not like LeBron lol

I don't have any issue with people saying MJ > (I agree) but some of these dudes act like LeBron is a bum, like he wouldn't dominate in MJ's era also. I assume part of it is political and disliking him personally because I can't fathom how anyone would put him down as a player like I've seen from these angry old guys on the internet. They aren't watching at worst or barely watching and not understanding what they are seeing at best
It's part nostalgia, part political. He's also not the fanatical, meathead, "I want to embarrass you and your entire family" competitor that MJ was.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
It's part nostalgia, part political. He's also not the fanatical, meathead, "I want to embarrass you and your entire family" competitor that MJ was.
True. Plus I think the product was better back in MJs peak day. The talent is far and away better 1-12 in today’s NBA, but the product is not as good for certain reasons . I believe overall that people’s attention span is shorter than it used to be. There’s a lack of urgency w/ an 82 game season. The casual fan isn’t really don’t really care for load management when these guys are getting crazy $. You turn on a random regular season game and it’s a 3 point shooting contest, the arenas are almost all the same. There’s no mystique to any of the venues outside of MSG. It all feels kind of generic at times. The lack of bad blood rivalries is a part of the game that I think has gone away. I get it, there’s so much $, no one wants to do something stupid. I think the college 1 and done has had a negative impact w/ the carry over from college to the nba. Jordan, Ewing, Hakeem, etc… all won titles and stayed multiple years in college. I might be off base, but I think that matters a little bit.

I’m sure this post will get pushback, but that’s just kind of how I see some of the negatives impacting the NBA game and probably some of the reasons I don’t watch the way I once did. All that said, I will be watching tonight.

True. Plus I think the product was better back in MJs peak day. The talent is far and away better 1-12 in today’s NBA, but the product is not as good for certain reasons . I believe overall that people’s attention span is shorter than it used to be. There’s a lack of urgency w/ an 82 game season. The casual fan isn’t really don’t really care for load management when these guys are getting crazy $. You turn on a random regular season game and it’s a 3 point shooting contest, the arenas are almost all the same. There’s no mystique to any of the venues outside of MSG. It all feels kind of generic at times. The lack of bad blood rivalries is a part of the game that I think has gone away. I get it, there’s so much $, no one wants to do something stupid. I think the college 1 and done has had a negative impact w/ the carry over from college to the nba. Jordan, Ewing, Hakeem, etc… all won titles and stayed multiple years in college. I might be off base, but I think that matters a little bit.

I’m sure this post will get pushback, but that’s just kind of how I see some of the negatives impacting the NBA game and probably some of the reasons I don’t watch the way I once did. All that said, I will be watching tonight.

You make a lot of good points. The actual game play (too many 3's) is a very common criticism but I think this is a matter of people not knowing what they want. Slow pace over fast pace? That's a hard no from me.

If you could magically make it 90's style, few fans would come back and they'd probably lose a ton of existing viewers. Post play is actually really boring. I personally do not want to see a one-dimensional center dribble 10x back to the basket with the rest of the dudes standing around. My team is the Jazz and we had the last guy to do this (Al Jefferson) and I hated watching them during his tenure. The Okur (3p shooting center) days that preceded that were million x more fun.

I also don't understand what changes from the viewer perspective that we care 17-footers turned into 24-footers. Why does that bother anybody? Still tons of action at the rim, and I think that's what really matters.

Who here liked watching Edey?

Last edited:

All fair points, no pushback at all here.

Quality post.

Reactions: Pennheel
You make a lot of good points. The actual game play (too many 3's) is a very common criticism but I think this is a matter of people not knowing what they want. Slow pactee over fast pace? That's a hard no from me.

If you could magically make it 90's style, few fans would come back and they'd probably lose a ton of existing viewers. Post play is actually really boring. I personally do not want to see a one-dimensional center dribble 10x back to the basket with the rest of the dudes standing around. My team is the Jazz and we had the last guy to do this (Al Jefferson) and I hated watching them during his tenure. The Okur (3p shooting center) days that preceded that were million x more fun.

I also don't understand what changes from the viewer perspective that we care 17-footers turned into 24-footers. Why does that bother anybody? Still tons of action at the rim, and I think that's what really matters.
you're over exaggerating the wrong way. the dribbles were away from the rim, and a pass down low might get 2-3 dribbles and then a play. if nothing was there after a couple of dribbles, it was kicked back out. It was infinitely more of a team game back then. Now it's all ISO. You're prolly right that some fans would leave if it went back to something similar of the old way, but it is what it is. I don't like the current NBA at all and I wouldn't miss games back in the day. MJ was lucky enough that WGN carried every Bulls game that wasn't on NBC back then.

The rivalries and ill will is what made the league though, more than style of play. Jordan overcoming the Bad Boy Pistons was huge. Then the rivalry with the Knicks. The Knicks-Pacers rivalry (although we could really say the Knicks-Reggie Miller rivalry). Even Houston-San Antonio was a good rivalry. Those are gone. Free Agency did the worst to the sport imo. It's about the player now, not the team for the young fans. They love Steph, or Lebron, or KD, or Giannis, etc. Doesn't help that Zion and lots of others haven't reached insane levels. Or that it's harder to connect with Giannis, Luka, Dokic, and the other premiere European players.

Reactions: Pennheel

I think Wolfpack fans would dispute your claim that "Jordan, Ewing, Hakeem, etc... all won titles and stayed multiple years in college."

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
You make a lot of good points. The actual game play (too many 3's) is a very common criticism but I think this is a matter of people not knowing what they want. Slow pace over fast pace? That's a hard no from me.

I’ve posted before….I attended this game. Hands down the worst NBA game I’ve attended.

I agree w/ a lot of what you wrote. I think too much of one thing, whether it be backdown basketball or just jacking 3s isn’t good either way. The more I think about, I think for me, it’s a familiarity issue. I grew up in the heart of college basketball and watched guys like Grant Hill and Laettner or Stackhouse play more than one year and you develop a relationship watching them grow. I feel like that’s kind of missing. Overall though, I’m just a bigger fan of college football and basketball than I am of pro sports.

Last edited:
I agree w/ a lot of what you wrote. I think too much of one thing, whether it be backdown basketball or just jacking 3s isn’t good either way. The more I think about, I think for me, it’s a familiarity issue. I grew up in the heart of college basketball and watched guys like Grant Hill and Laettner or Stackhouse play more than one year and you develop a relationship watching them grow. I feel likes that kind of missing. Overall though, I’m just a bigger fan of college football and basketball than I am of pro sports.
I agree with you. While on this subject, congrats to Jayson Tatum on his 1st NBA Championship.

I think the product was better too, but that is just purely a matter of opinion. @n_huffhines and others are correct to point out that the league was watered down in those days. The league is much deeper today, which is a plus, but I am not as big a fan of the style of play. That doesn't mean that the 90s style of play was perfect or anything close to it though; just a matter of preference and probably some nostalgia. When I see 90s NBA highlights, particularly of Jordan and the Bulls, I always think of watching Space Jam, playing basketball in the driveway of the house I grew up in, etc. Obviously, I don't get that feeling when I watch the modern NBA.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I think the product was better too, but that is just purely a matter of opinion. @n_huffhines and others are correct to point out that the league was watered down in those days. The league is much deeper today, which is a plus, but I am not as big a fan of the style of play. That doesn't mean that the 90s style of play was perfect or anything close to it though; just a matter of preference and probably some nostalgia. When I see 90s NBA highlights, particularly of Jordan and the Bulls, I always think of watching Space Jam, playing basketball in the driveway of the house I grew up in, etc. Obviously, I don't get that feeling when I watch the modern NBA.

It is def a matter of preference but you mostly only see highlights from the past, so it's easy to stay nostalgic. The quarters of play where teams combined for 25 points, 4 assists, and 25 rebounds stay in the past. We rewrite the past by making it 95% highlights. I mean, some people really think there was no flopping and whining. They think Lebron invented it.

When you watch in the present, you have to take in the bad with the good.

VN Store

Back