Lakers/Vols Knecht-ion

This is my biggest issue with all this. Lakers took him because he's LeBron's kid; they can do what they want and if it was to keep LeBron 2 more years then so be it. Everyone knows the reason he was drafted.

But then he's given 1st overall pick coverage and hype and so far has been extremely underwelming if not has sucked and the calls for "Give him time, he's the 55th pick not a Top 3 pick"....no, you can't give him all this hype and coverage then complain people are critical. If he had been treated like a regular 55th pick and not given wall to wall coverage, people would be far less critical. Sure they'd still say he got the spot becuase of his dad but imo the wall to wall coverage and bending over backwards to come up with "highlights" is causing the biggest criticism. The front page of ESPN.com this morning has the main highlight "Bronny beats shot clock with contested jumper".....it was the only shot he made all game. Come on...

I get it's Summer League and anything to keep eyes on the product, but when you make social medai posts comparing LeBron's press conferences to Bronny's....you're asking for the backlash. Also starting to seem like nobody thought he'd be THIS bad.
100% on all points. It's also yet another example for how much sports "media" aren't objective and too often play the simplistic sycophant shillin' for whatever sports brand they happen to be covering.

And I (thankfully) missed the ESPN "highlight"...lmao.

I was busy watching games (lifelong Lakers fan). I do not follow social media because it is a bunch of nutjobs. I follow a few sources for Lakers news mostly former NBA players podcasts like Gils Arena and so on. I saw almost no disappointment because as stated he IMPROVED from the year before significantly. he was the only Laker to play all 82 (57 starts) regular season games and he also played (and started) in all 5 postseason games.

Also I know people here hate ESPN but their depth charts are usually fairly accurate as of today. They didnt have it updated yesterday. From what I saw last year it looks accurate except for JHS being so low but he is injured and missed summer league. But was impressive in G-league in his limited time there.

View attachment 659386
Curious which lakers games you were watching last summer during the offseason (the time period I was talking about)? But congrats on somehow being the biggest Reaves stan in the world but also somehow missing all the Reaves hype from last summer. That’s a pretty impressive trick.

I’ve lost track of what the point of this even was. You’re posting a depth chart showing Reaves as a starter and I never said he wouldn’t start, just that he would need to play better to see an increase in minutes over last year and that he didn’t live up to all the hype from last summer (which isn’t really related to the minutes conversation at all since coaches don’t allocate minutes based on hype).

Curious which lakers games you were watching last summer during the offseason (the time period I was talking about)? But congrats on somehow being the biggest Reaves stan in the world but also somehow missing all the Reaves hype from last summer. That’s a pretty impressive trick.

I’ve lost track of what the point of this even was. You’re posting a depth chart showing Reaves as a starter and I never said he wouldn’t start, just that he would need to play better to see an increase in minutes over last year and that he didn’t live up to all the hype from last summer (which isn’t really related to the minutes conversation at all since coaches don’t allocate minutes based on hype).
In the summer I watch summer league.. they can usually be found on ESPN2/3/U. as far as random chatter in the twitterverse.. nope. The biggest stuff going on last summer about Reeves was the whole Lemon Daddy thing, his new contract and his shoe deal.

People have been saying that DK would start over Reeves through this thread. You came in during that I guess. I know you did not say as much but your statement was kinda weird.. I get there is hype in the media and the Twitterverse but there is also reality. The dude averaged 16 points game on a team with Lebron James, Anthony Davis and D'Angelo Russell. How much more could he be realistically expected to do? There are just so many shots to go around. 16 points is a lot for a 4th option on a team. Also, I posted the depth chart not to show Reeves as a starter but to illustrate where DK currently sits on it and the fact the two do not compete directly with each other for minutes. DK's competition is Cam Reddish and he can beat him out for minutes. Reality is likely this changed significantly.

In the summer I watch summer league.. they can usually be found on ESPN2/3/U. as far as random chatter in the twitterverse.. nope. The biggest stuff going on last summer about Reeves was the whole Lemon Daddy thing, his new contract and his shoe deal.

People have been saying that DK would start over Reeves through this thread. You came in during that I guess. I know you did not say as much but your statement was kinda weird.. I get there is hype in the media and the Twitterverse but there is also reality. The dude averaged 16 points game on a team with Lebron James, Anthony Davis and D'Angelo Russell. How much more could he be realistically expected to do? There are just so many shots to go around. 16 points is a lot for a 4th option on a team. Also, I posted the depth chart not to show Reeves as a starter but to illustrate where DK currently sits on it and the fact the two do not compete directly with each other for minutes. DK's competition is Cam Reddish and he can beat him out for minutes. Reality is likely this changed significantly.
Totally agree that they’re not in competition for minutes. I wasn’t in any way trying to say they were. That’s about as absurd as complaining about bronny taking minutes from Knecht when they play different positions (which has also happened in this thread).

My comment was a bit off topic so I can see how we got our wires crossed. I wasn’t trying to make any sort of comparison between the two of them. Just a throwaway about how the reeves hype had been pretty wild in some circles last year.

Reactions: pimo1
Totally agree that they’re not in competition for minutes. I wasn’t in any way trying to say they were. That’s about as absurd as complaining about bronny taking minutes from Knecht when they play different positions (which has also happened in this thread).

My comment was a bit off topic so I can see how we got our wires crossed. I wasn’t trying to make any sort of comparison between the two of them. Just a throwaway about how the reeves hype had been pretty wild in some circles last year.
All good bro. I enjoyed your thought process. It has merit I just see it fro ma different perspective. I don't like getting in on hype and 'expectations' unless they are based on results. I honestly expected Reeves to fall off after getting his bag and playing for national team all summer. So, to me, that fact he improved over the year before was impressive to me. His efficiency did drop off some from the increased minutes and load but that's how that normally works. The more I see DK play in summer league the more I feel they have a role for him and he has shown impressive defensive effort. He has to tools to be a good defender, I think before last year he was never asked to do that and now in a situation where he does not have to be the offensive focus he can have a role like Klay did with the Warriors. I really think he can be that good. If JJ can translate his knowledge to coaching. I think he should have did some time as an assistant first but its what we have. Being a head coach is a lot more than knowing the game it takes a lot of people skills I'm not sure JJ has. Players will love him not so sure about everyone else as he is a tad brash.

Yep, it’ll bring eyeballs like at a carnival sideshow until folks figure out they are getting scammed. At some point folks will get tired of watching the guy go 2 for 10 every night while getting torched on defense by real NBA players and not just by these summer league scrubs. He’s not NBA material and is only there because Daddy is Lebron James and it’s that simple.
Simple….don’t watch!

VN Store

Back