Lakers/Vols Knecht-ion

Multi-million $ multi-year contract isn't a favor? Y'all are wild with these Bronny takes. People forget this is entertainment and Bronny is bringing all the eyeballs. He's probably already earned his NBA contract.

Not a single scout cares what happened during Bronny's rookie year on the heels of a heart attack.

Bronny probably won't make it in the league because shooting 35% from 3p is hard, but that's literally all he needs to do to have a 10-yr career.
Yep, it’ll bring eyeballs like at a carnival sideshow until folks figure out they are getting scammed. At some point folks will get tired of watching the guy go 2 for 10 every night while getting torched on defense by real NBA players and not just by these summer league scrubs. He’s not NBA material and is only there because Daddy is Lebron James and it’s that simple.

Huh? Who is robbing who?
Bronny James getting a multi-million guaranteed contract is the robbery. Duh. The Lakers don’t need any help with sales or getting eyes on their product. It was done to make sure Lebron signed on for his last couple of years. If folks don’t understand that, they are woefully naive. He’ll be out of the league when Lebron retires but he’ll still have those millions. If Lebron retired right now, they’d just sign a couple of new stars and they’d still sell out.

Bronny James getting a multi-million guaranteed contract is the robbery. Duh. The Lakers don’t need any help with sales or getting eyes on their product. It was done to make sure Lebron signed on for his last couple of years. If folks don’t understand that, they are woefully naive. He’ll be out of the league when Lebron retires but he’ll still have those millions. If Lebron retired right now, they’d just sign a couple of new stars and they’d still sell out.

All you're saying is it's not quid pro quo, it's quid pro quo.

The Lakers don't "need" anything, but why not get more attention and eyeballs and jersey and merch sales? That's the fkn point. By all accounts, Bronny got more noise than Wemby did in his summer league debut. If you can do that with a 55th pick, that's good business. Lakers will definitely be in the black on Bronny's contract.

As you pointed out, DK's numbers are improving every time out and I would not be surprised if he is a starter at some point during the 2024-2025 season.
I would. he would have to beat out Russell and Reeves. Also Dinwiddie and Vincent Being back puts them both in the rotation. This pushes Russell to playing more minutes at the 2. At the 3 he'd be competing with Cam Reddish. I do not see him starting outside of injuries just like most first-rounders for teams that want to compete for the playoffs won't be starting. The Lakers are not struggling for wings... they are actually drowning in them. Their real lack of depth is at the 1 and 5. Two positions Dalton cant play. The 1 is sorted if Gabe Vincent is back healthy but that means Dinwiddie and Russell will be playing more minutes at the 2. Lemon Daddy ain't giving up his minutes in fact he will be pushing for more.

1721052977307.png

I would. he would have to beat out Russell and Reeves. Also Dinwiddie and Vincent Being back puts them both in the rotation. This pushes Russell to playing more minutes at the 2. At the 3 he'd be competing with Cam Reddish. I do not see him starting outside of injuries just like most first-rounders for teams that want to compete for the playoffs won't be starting. The Lakers are not struggling for wings... they are actually drowning in them. Their real lack of depth is at the 1 and 5. Two positions Dalton cant play. The 1 is sorted if Gabe Vincent is back healthy but that means Dinwiddie and Russell will be playing more minutes at the 2. Lemon Daddy ain't giving up his minutes in fact he will be pushing for more.

View attachment 659030
Reaves will need to be better than last year if he wants to push for more minutes. I was pretty disappointed with how he played coming off a good run with team USA

Reaves will need to be better than last year if he wants to push for more minutes. I was pretty disappointed with how he played coming off a good run with team USA
What does team USA have to do with anything? If anything you'd expect fall off from not having offseason rest. Austin Reeves has improved every single year and last year was his best. He went from 7 to 13 to 16 points a game and improved defensively..that's what parlayed into his contract. Do people actually watch games or just listen to what talking heads say? he was 4th on the team scoring regular season and 3rd postseason. When he starts he is the third option but he was only a situational starter If Russell and Prince were healthy they often brought Reeves off the bench as he is instant offense.

View attachment 659030
Reaves and Russell missed enough time last season that the Lakers started no guards in multiple games last season. So long as Knecht is getting regular playing time, which is definitely plausible, he will see some starts next season.

View attachment 659030

They are trying to move on from D-Lo and Reddish. Reddish was unplayable in the playoffs. D-Lo is not a 2 at all. Vincent has been in the league like 6 years and has only put together 1 good half season. The 2024 Lakers were absolutely desperate for shooting, bro, especially from wings. Dinwiddie is a solid player but an unreliable shooter.

Reaves and Knecht are the "active shooters" and compliment each other nicely with Knecht being bigger and more of an off-ball guy.

The only thing that would prevent Knecht from getting 25 mpg this season is he goes cold from 3p.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Reaves and Russell missed enough time last season that the Lakers started no guards in multiple games last season. So long as Knecht is getting regular playing time, which is definitely plausible, he will see some starts next season.
Of 82 regular season games Reeves played 82 games.. Russel played 76.....what are you talking about? Both also played in all 5 playoff games. Reddish and Vincent are the guys that missed significant time.

So, in addition to not having the skills to be an NBA player, Bronny has ZERO knowledge of the game's history and the resumes of past NBA legends...lol.

Oh, and I love these quotes from the article:

"Bronny James is probably the most discussed name at the moment in the NBA" (absurdity tends to draw a lot of scrutiny...lol)

"On the court, the numbers have been terrible for the rookie in the California Classic and the Summer League. However, it’s a long road for any young player and Bronny deserves the benefit of the doubt." (Bronny deserves nothing after his father created this spectacle and usurped the NBA's meritocracy)

LMAO

Reactions: Godfatha
Basilio’s not a Bronny fan and didn’t hold back.

ESPN.Com's lead story Saturday was the Summer League debut of the Lakers and Bronny James. Dalton Knecht got some love in the headline because they have to at least make it look good for TV. Bronny simply stinks at basketball. He'll easily be the worst player in the league once he's named to the Lakers roster. No offense, but he stinks. And so does the rest of that team that's around Knecht in Summer basketball. The media feigning surprise and disappointment in Bronny's showing Saturday is comical. The guys doing the game on TV were talking about how Bronny's sub standard college stats don't tell the whole story. They were literally apologizing on air for him while the game was going on and telling us we weren't seeing what we were seeing.
"No offense" this whole post is spot on but especially those two words

What does team USA have to do with anything? If anything you'd expect fall off from not having offseason rest. Austin Reeves has improved every single year and last year was his best. He went from 7 to 13 to 16 points a game and improved defensively..that's what parlayed into his contract. Do people actually watch games or just listen to what talking heads say? he was 4th on the team scoring regular season and 3rd postseason. When he starts he is the third option but he was only a situational starter If Russell and Prince were healthy they often brought Reeves off the bench as he is instant offense.
It has to do with the expectations going into last year. He played well for team USA and then just OK for the lakers, especially early. It was a bit of a letdown. Now part of that was probably just that the hype got out of control and part of that may have been a lack of rest. Regardless, I don’t expect him to get many more minutes than last year unless he takes a leap which is exactly what I said.

So, in addition to not having the skills to be an NBA player, Bronny has ZERO knowledge of the game's history and the resumes of past NBA legends...lol.

Oh, and I love these quotes from the article:

"Bronny James is probably the most discussed name at the moment in the NBA" (absurdity tends to draw a lot of scrutiny...lol)

"On the court, the numbers have been terrible for the rookie in the California Classic and the Summer League. However, it’s a long road for any young player and Bronny deserves the benefit of the doubt." (Bronny deserves nothing after his father created this spectacle and usurped the NBA's meritocracy)

LMAO

This is my biggest issue with all this. Lakers took him because he's LeBron's kid; they can do what they want and if it was to keep LeBron 2 more years then so be it. Everyone knows the reason he was drafted.

But then he's given 1st overall pick coverage and hype and so far has been extremely underwelming if not has sucked and the calls for "Give him time, he's the 55th pick not a Top 3 pick"....no, you can't give him all this hype and coverage then complain people are critical. If he had been treated like a regular 55th pick and not given wall to wall coverage, people would be far less critical. Sure they'd still say he got the spot becuase of his dad but imo the wall to wall coverage and bending over backwards to come up with "highlights" is causing the biggest criticism. The front page of ESPN.com this morning has the main highlight "Bronny beats shot clock with contested jumper".....it was the only shot he made all game. Come on...

I get it's Summer League and anything to keep eyes on the product, but when you make social medai posts comparing LeBron's press conferences to Bronny's....you're asking for the backlash. Also starting to seem like nobody thought he'd be THIS bad.

It has to do with the expectations going into last year. He played well for team USA and then just OK for the lakers, especially early. It was a bit of a letdown. Now part of that was probably just that the hype got out of control and part of that may have been a lack of rest. Regardless, I don’t expect him to get many more minutes than last year unless he takes a leap which is exactly what I said.
I'm confused.. after playing in the summer instead of recuperating for the offseason he returned and played in every regular season and playoff game and produced his best season and that's a letdown? Guess how many Lakers played in EVERY game regular and postseason for the Lakers? one. Lemon Daddy. Performance in FIBA play and NBA play have very little correlation. Reeves will get used this year for sure, because he is one of their most valuable trade assets and a good young player.

By Your logic Jock Landale should be all world for the Rockets right? Do you know how many NBA bench players show out in FIBA play every year and are still the 10th man on the bench in the NBA? FIBA and NBA are very different like College and NBA are much different. Its why a lot of great college players cant make it in the NBA and a lot of okish college players thrive. 2 recent Euroleague MVPS came to the NBA and rotted on the bench they will both likely show out in the Olympics.

I'm confused.. after playing in the summer instead of recuperating for the offseason he returned and played in every regular season and playoff game and produced his best season and that's a letdown? Guess how many Lakers played in EVERY game regular and postseason for the Lakers? one. Lemon Daddy. Performance in FIBA play and NBA play have very little correlation. Reeves will get used this year for sure, because he is one of their most valuable trade assets and a good young player.

By Your logic Jock Landale should be all world for the Rockets right? Do you know how many NBA bench players show out in FIBA play every year and are still the 10th man on the bench in the NBA? FIBA and NBA are very different like College and NBA are much different. Its why a lot of great college players cant make it in the NBA and a lot of okish college players thrive. 2 recent Euroleague MVPS came to the NBA and rotted on the bench they will both likely show out in the Olympics.
It’s sorry that you were apparently asleep all of last summer. Maybe go check out some news stories from the time? Expectations were really high. He played OK but failed to meet the expectations. If he plays about the same this year, he’ll get about the same minutes or maybe a little less due to other roster changes. This isn’t some attack on Reaves. The hype was out of control.

It’s sorry that you were apparently asleep all of last summer. Maybe go check out some news stories from the time? Expectations were really high. He played OK but failed to meet the expectations. If he plays about the same this year, he’ll get about the same minutes or maybe a little less due to other roster changes. This isn’t some attack on Reaves. The hype was out of control.
I was busy watching games (lifelong Lakers fan). I do not follow social media because it is a bunch of nutjobs. I follow a few sources for Lakers news mostly former NBA players podcasts like Gils Arena and so on. I saw almost no disappointment because as stated he IMPROVED from the year before significantly. he was the only Laker to play all 82 (57 starts) regular season games and he also played (and started) in all 5 postseason games.

Also I know people here hate ESPN but their depth charts are usually fairly accurate as of today. They didnt have it updated yesterday. From what I saw last year it looks accurate except for JHS being so low but he is injured and missed summer league. But was impressive in G-league in his limited time there.

1721155988083.png

I was busy watching games (lifelong Lakers fan). I do not follow social media because it is a bunch of nutjobs. I follow a few sources for Lakers news mostly former NBA players podcasts like Gils Arena and so on. I saw almost no disappointment because as stated he IMPROVED from the year before significantly. he was the only Laker to play all 82 (57 starts) regular season games and he also played (and started) in all 5 postseason games.

Also I know people here hate ESPN but their depth charts are usually fairly accurate as of today. They didnt have it updated yesterday. From what I saw last year it looks accurate except for JHS being so low but he is injured and missed summer league. But was impressive in G-league in his limited time there.

View attachment 659386

Gilbert Arenas has the absolute worst takes.

I feel like Reaves stepped up his play-making last year, but his shooting was down in every regard (2p%, 3p%, ft%, and you can see from his % of FGA from 0-3' and FTA's that he's going to the hoop less). His mid-range % really fell off. He was still an efficient scorer, but the drop-off in that regard was pretty big.

And I think the part that hurts the Lakers the most is he only shot 37% on catch and shoot 3's. Lakers needs him hitting 42% on C&S next to AD and Lebron. If they can put 3 reliable shooters/defenders around those 2, they can beat anybody.

Gilbert Arenas has the absolute worst takes.

I feel like Reaves stepped up his play-making last year, but his shooting was down in every regard (2p%, 3p%, ft%, and you can see from his % of FGA from 0-3' and FTA's that he's going to the hoop less). His mid-range % really fell off. He was still an efficient scorer, but the drop-off in that regard was pretty big.

And I think the part that hurts the Lakers the most is he only shot 37% on catch and shoot 3's. Lakers needs him hitting 42% on C&S next to AD and Lebron. If they can put 3 reliable shooters/defenders around those 2, they can beat anybody.
His takes are terrible but his knowledge of the game is legit. I don't pay attention to the off-court takes or his obvious trolling when they are trying to manufacture drama. Gil trolls a lot...but end of day the guy knows basketball and all the guys on his show including guests are current or former players. As far as my Lakers, much like with the Vols, I watch every game so can form my own opinion. Outside of Lebron and AD Austin Reeves has been the most important player on the Lakers the past 1.5 years.. full stop. There is no way around it. Second half of the 22-23 season he hit his stride and has stayed in it and has done nothing but improve since then.

His takes are terrible but his knowledge of the game is legit. I don't pay attention to the off-court takes or his obvious trolling when they are trying to manufacture drama. Gil trolls a lot...but end of day the guy knows basketball and all the guys on his show including guests are current or former players. As far as my Lakers, much like with the Vols, I watch every game so can form my own opinion. Outside of Lebron and AD Austin Reeves has been the most important player on the Lakers the past 1.5 years.. full stop. There is no way around it. Second half of the 22-23 season he hit his stride and has stayed in it and has done nothing but improve since then.

IDK what you're talking about with this. I'm just responding to your point about last year wasn't a disappointment. It was a bit of a disappointment because of the shooting. Yeah, he's their 3rd best player. That's not the point I was making.

Bottom line is people had high expectations that weren't met because he finished the last two months and playoffs of the 2022-23 season better than he played in 2023-24.

Last edited:
IDK what you're talking about with this. I'm just responding to your point about last year wasn't a disappointment. It was a bit of a disappointment because of the shooting. Yeah, he's their 3rd best player. That's not the point I was making.

Bottom line is people had high expectations that weren't met because he finished the last two months and playoffs of the 2022-23 season better than he played in 2023-24.
Austin Reeves was an UDFA.

He is going into his 4th year after averaging 16 points a game and signing a 53-million-dollar contract with the LA Lakers. he is part of a very exclusive club that includes people like Ben Wallace, Connie Hawkins, Fred Vanfleet, John Starks and Avery Johnson. See the list of UDFA's that went on to be starters in the NBA is really short. So saying his season was a disappointment is kinda crazy. There have been very few other UDFA's to ever perform at his level. Just because a group of delusional people came up with unrealistic expectations for him is not his fault. He played the role the team expected of him and got rewarded with a bag. His name comes up in every trade involving the Lakers because teams want him. His team was not disappointed in his performance, Rigorer wasn't disappointed when they gave him the bag and a stake in the company, the NBA isn't either. None of the people that actually matter were disappointed in Reeves because he has done nothing but overachieve every second he's been in the NBA.

I think a lot of UT fans want to knock on Lemon Daddy because they see him as a threat to DK but they would be quite wrong. DK and Reeves are significantly different players that will have different roles on the Lakers. Reeves is a 2/1 and DK is a 3/2. They will actually probably end up playing a lot of time on the court together. Think of Reeves's role on the Lakers like that of Santi on the Vols last season. He is a glue guy first shooter second. DK is a shooter/scorer/finisher. How much time he spends on the court is gonna depend on how much Lebron trusts him because end of day that's who decides. Damn your opinion or my logic.

Reactions: therickbol
Austin Reeves was an UDFA.

He is going into his 4th year after averaging 16 points a game and signing a 53-million-dollar contract with the LA Lakers. he is part of a very exclusive club that includes people like Ben Wallace, Connie Hawkins, Fred Vanfleet, John Starks and Avery Johnson. See the list of UDFA's that went on to be starters in the NBA is really short. So saying his season was a disappointment is kinda crazy. There have been very few other UDFA's to ever perform at his level. Just because a group of delusional people came up with unrealistic expectations for him is not his fault. He played the role the team expected of him and got rewarded with a bag. His name comes up in every trade involving the Lakers because teams want him. His team was not disappointed in his performance, Rigorer wasn't disappointed when they gave him the bag and a stake in the company, the NBA isn't either. None of the people that actually matter were disappointed in Reeves because he has done nothing but overachieve every second he's been in the NBA.

I think a lot of UT fans want to knock on Lemon Daddy because they see him as a threat to DK but they would be quite wrong. DK and Reeves are significantly different players that will have different roles on the Lakers. Reeves is a 2/1 and DK is a 3/2. They will actually probably end up playing a lot of time on the court together. Think of Reeves's role on the Lakers like that of Santi on the Vols last season. He is a glue guy first shooter second. DK is a shooter/scorer/finisher. How much time he spends on the court is gonna depend on how much Lebron trusts him because end of day that's who decides. Damn your opinion or my logic.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back