Last UT QB who stared down his WRs through the whole route??

Did he play ? It's a whole lot freaking different than routes on air right ? Practice speed isn't the same as live bullets and a bad LT..... if you gonna make statements like this include all factors. He needs time if he still looks like this next season after a full year then I may agree. But but he makes 8 million. We don't really know what the kid makes but he is selling product which is what his NIL is based on, just like appearances etc. This sh1t is tiring after and yall act like haters with a half brain who can't comprehend he needs more help from the OL and game experience. I usually respect your post but again this crap is tiring. Everything isn't perfect. Coaches, Players and Nico himself have to do a better job. I think we agree on that but it is not just Nico
What bothers me is the people who are upset that he doesn’t look ready for the nfl this early in his playing time and at the same time assume he can’t improve.

Just plain silliness

Heupel has a history at UCF of doing well and tapering off. It's his history, not my imagination.

Do you think his play calling is where it was previously?

Do you think his QB development is showing a lot of promise with Milton and Nico?

One cannot just idolize coaches based upon what they did. You end up with guys like Fulmer having gravitas they don't deserve simply because they once had success.
Why is it when you aren't ready to fire a coach as soon as there is some friction and difficulties equate to idolizing them? Vilifying a coach that is currently 5-1 and just beat our biggest rival for the SECOND time in three years makes you horrendously evil by worshipping chaos. I have posted more times than I can count that I will fully support any member of the Vols. If they fall by the wayside, I will fully support whomever takes their place. Whatever you feel about it, being an actual part of the gameday spectacle as a member of the Pride gives one a little more desire for the VOLS to succeed and less if a reason to jump off the bandwagon as soon as it hits a pothole. You fan your way, I will fan mine. It is just as much my right as it is yours to honor chaos.

What bothers me is the people who are upset that he doesn’t look ready for the nfl this early in his playing time and at the same time assume he can’t improve.

Just plain silliness
I think Nico will improve as the year goes on and look much different next year in terms of processing and the speed of the game and probably not make as many errors like the INT last night or the fumble. If they spend money this year it needs to be on an OL replacement for Mays, Heard, Spraggins and Karic. I think LJ3 is capable at RT and Bennett. Heard should be asked to explore new options after the season. If it was just blown assignments that's one thing. That kid looks like he just doesn't give AF with his effort and intensity. Prove me wrong

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Inb4 "its only his 6th start" while ignoring the fact he was here last year
Yep, practice with routes on air and scrimmages with a red jersey on definitely equates to a 300 lb d-lineman bearing down on you with the intent of breaking every bone in your body. Let me whack you on the shin every time you round a corner and see how many times you are distracted at the corners I dont.

Why is it when you aren't ready to fire a coach as soon as there is some friction and difficulties equate to idolizing them? Vilifying a coach that is currently 5-1 and just beat our biggest rival for the SECOND time in three years makes you horrendously evil by worshipping chaos. I have posted more times than I can count that I will fully support any member of the Vols. If they fall by the wayside, I will fully support whomever takes their place. Whatever you feel about it, being an actual part of the gameday spectacle as a member of the Pride gives one a little more desire for the VOLS to succeed and less if a reason to jump off the bandwagon as soon as it hits a pothole. You fan your way, I will fan mine. It is just as much my right as it is yours to honor chaos.
Sure, I want Heupel to succeed. Being critical of a coach, especially one of the highest paid coaches in college football, makes sense.

I note you didn't answer whether you think we've regressed in play calling since 2022.

I note you didn't answer whether Heupel's QB development of Milton and Nico has matched what we saw with Hooker.

It doesn't mean you want someone replaced to hold their feet to the fire. Lord knows the Knoxville press isn't going to ask a substantive question of Coach.

We can play that game:
Tua Tagovaila (Freshman Year)
49 77 63.6 636 11 tds 2 ints

Arch Manning (also redshirt freshman)
57 83 68.7 931 9 tds 2 ints

Nico Iamaleave
122 188 64.9 1533 9 tds 3 ints

I think he more than matches up with those more contemporaries.
So if Arch maintains his pace and reaches 188 attempts, he’d likely have about 18 td’s, 4 Int’s, and 2,000 yards.

Does Nico match up with Arch at that point?

Crazy thing is Nico is not getting better and maybe getting a tad worse. Only comparison I can think of recently is Bama benching Jalen Milroe. After a couple games Saban was like you know what we are gonna change the offense to his strengths and he has been playing really well since. I dont think Heupel will change his offense or bench Nico since we are paying him 2 mill a year. Kind of like benching a first round pick in the NFL. I hope Nico improves cause I do really like him.

Sure, I want Heupel to succeed. Being critical of a coach, especially one of the highest paid coaches in college football, makes sense.

I note you didn't answer whether you think we've regressed in play calling since 2022.

I note you didn't answer whether Heupel's QB development of Milton and Nico has matched what we saw with Hooker.

It doesn't mean you want someone replaced to hold their feet to the fire. Lord knows the Knoxville press isn't going to ask a substantive question of Coach.
No, I didnt think it was worth answering an agenda based question, but here goes. I will state again, go back and look at the replay. You will see open receivers in several places. The running plays upbthe middle and off tackle are about the same as before. The addition of the 12 personnel package against NC State was a brilliant wrinkle that worked. The decision to play ground and pound when Nico was rattled at the pressure and crowd noise was perfect. I truly believe Dylan Sampson when he said they overlooked Arkansas. I think that even applied to the coaching staff as well. That is the first real complaint I have had. CJH is trying to find an adjustment that will get Nico back to form without making him lose more confidence. I will say to you like others, if you are so determined to use the "highest paid coach" card, it would be interesting if you were one of the ones screaming for the AD to pay him before he escapes. I do not now, nor ever have, believe that ANY coach or athlete at ANY level deserves the money they get paid.

If Nico leaves after next year…..it will have been an awesome year and confirm that Hypel knows what he’s doing. The replacement will then be a redshirt sophomore. Who will have a lot of game experience because of all the blowout wins.
That guy will still have to adjust to the game speed.
Without O Line improvement, Nico, depending on how he grades out, might leave because more time at UT behind crap O Lines can't help him....... regardless of how the season goes next year.

It might be because of an awesome year or it might be because there's no point in running for your life, getting to hand of on counters, and throw lateral passes. I can't imagine that this year is very exciting for Nico.

It might be because of an awesome year or it might be because there's no point in running for your life, getting to hand of on counters, and throw lateral passes. I can't imagine that this year is very exciting for Nico.
And frogs might not bump their butts when they jumped if they had wings.
You’re wandering around all over the place today

So if Arch maintains his pace and reaches 188 attempts, he’d likely have about 18 td’s, 4 Int’s, and 2,000 yards.

Does Nico match up with Arch at that point?
I don't know, let's dig deeper. Some of your ilk have commented that some of Nico's numbers have come against cupcakes. Okay, I'll bite. In those cupcake games, his numbers came in less than one half of football. Even NC State saw him peacefully resting on the bench while the backups did mop up work.

The juggernaut of Arch Manning you tout so well, is very good and has even better genes, but you are being hypocritical. His stats, as impressive as they are came against the following defensive giants;
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT SAN ANTONIO
LOUISINANA-MONROE
MISSISSIPPI STATE (the worst team in the SEC)
Hmm mommy, sheds a different light in my humble opinion.
You fan your way, I will fan mine.

No, I didnt think it was worth answering an agenda based question, but here goes. I will state again, go back and look at the replay. You will see open receivers in several places. The running plays upbthe middle and off tackle are about the same as before. The addition of the 12 personnel package against NC State was a brilliant wrinkle that worked. The decision to play ground and pound when Nico was rattled at the pressure and crowd noise was perfect. I truly believe Dylan Sampson when he said they overlooked Arkansas. I think that even applied to the coaching staff as well. That is the first real complaint I have had. CJH is trying to find an adjustment that will get Nico back to form without making him lose more confidence. I will say to you like others, if you are so determined to use the "highest paid coach" card, it would be interesting if you were one of the ones screaming for the AD to pay him before he escapes. I do not now, nor ever have, believe that ANY coach or athlete at ANY level deserves the money they get paid.
I was in favor of paying Heupel and that doesn't preclude being critical of him afterward. Just because you think someone deserves to be paid doesn't mean you can't expect performance.

We'd disagree about athletes getting paid. Assuming you're a musician, there's a reason elite classical musicians make pretty good money. They have skills very, very, very few people possess and those talents and that practice ethic and that sacrifice to attain the mastery of their instrument is valuable to many people.

With Nico, he's left some yardage on the field by missing receivers and missing the open man. Agreed about 12 personnel but I'm not sure we're doing enough with it to help.

As for Arky, we were a 2 TD favorite going in and taking them lightly to some extent would be expected for the players. Not adjusting at halftime, not being able to dominate once we woke up, not executing is not very excusable at the SEC level for coaches.

Again, you're 2 TD favorites. Like we look at Alabama and say Vandy???? Really, Vandy? You couldn't come back and beat Vandy? I look at Arky and say, "You're going to get outcoached by Pittman? Pittman? And not just a little, quite a bit."

Even if Heupel was making AAC money again, it's Pittman. He's not a good football coach.

Nico looks like an amateur at best. I hate to say it but he does. Are we talking Gaurtermo? Compton? It’s been a while since we’ve had a QB literally lock eyes with every guy he’s gonna throw it to this consistently.

He’s got a chance to be really good come his senior year, but it ain’t as guaranteed as people think it. Dude plays like a 7on7 qb

EDIT: Please stop calling him a freshman quarterback! Dude was here all last year. UF however did have a true freshman QB that gave us the business and prolly didn’t cost 8 mil
JG

Milton didn't have decent receivers last year. Hooker had Hyatt and Tillman also a bit better OL. However Milton had probably a better running game to lean on I guess. Golesh is no longer here. We have Halze and hell no he is not anywhere near Golesh. Hooker had a lot of the things you can't coach and I think Nico has those qualities also, however Nico can't run like Hook. The deep ball will come Nico has good touch it is the uncertainty that he is playing with. Again Nico sat most of last year studying film he is far from a finished product. So IMO I think it's a little early for that comparison.

Milton, Hooker, it’s part of this system. You have to see where the WR will or should break. So your eyes are on him longer than they would be in a west coast/air raid style system that’s more timing based.
This guy understands. WRs run choice routes where Nico only vaguely knows who to target based on the call, but he has to wait to see it unfold.

Just plain silliness
People keep talking about Hooker. Not remembering that Hooker was ran out of town to come here. And he was in his mid 20’s when he played for us his senior year.

Nico looks like an amateur at best. I hate to say it but he does. Are we talking Gaurtermo? Compton? It’s been a while since we’ve had a QB literally lock eyes with every guy he’s gonna throw it to this consistently.

He’s got a chance to be really good come his senior year, but it ain’t as guaranteed as people think it. Dude plays like a 7on7 qb

EDIT: Please stop calling him a freshman quarterback! Dude was here all last year. UF however did have a true freshman QB that gave us the business and prolly didn’t cost 8 mil
Well, he was here last year, but that's practice. He likely was in a no contact jersey and when you know you're not going to get hit, it's just not going to be the same as league play against SEC caliber defenses. He's only had 3 of those "experiences" so far. Suspect the Nico we see later in the season will be the same Nico we're seeing right now.

VN Store

Back