Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Just a random question. With flu cases way down, I assume because of social distancing, masks, etc. , is it possible those viruses will have to become more resilient?
I'm not sure what you are asking -- Help me understand.

Also, note that prior studies have clearly demonstrated that masks do not stop influenza transmission. In addition, areas with mask mandates and high levels of mask usage saw the same spike in CV cases as those without. I think the largest contributor to the reduced flu burden has been limited travel.

This is all starting to feel like a collaborative conspiracy of ugly people and bank robbers.

And people are so willing to jump onboard.

Also, note that prior studies have clearly demonstrated that masks do not stop influenza transmission. In addition, areas with mask mandates and high levels of mask usage saw the same spike in CV cases as those without. I think the largest contributor to the reduced flu burden has been limited travel.

So with reduced transmissions, regardless of reason, does the virus itself then need to mutate to become more resilient? Does the virus need to learn to live longer, in the air, on surfaces, etc so it can have more success? Does that scenario exist, where it has such limited success in a year like this, that it has to improve itself to succeed in the future?

Reactions: Kristy*

I think this is what's being asked: viruses adapt. They "want" to survive. Is it possible or likely that the flu will become more easily transmissible with the major decline in cases?

So with reduced transmissions, regardless of reason, does the virus itself then need to mutate to become more resilient? Does the virus need to learn to live longer, in the air, on surfaces, etc so it can have more success? Does that scenario exist, where it has such limited success in a year like this, that it has to improve itself to succeed in the future?
Viruses do undergo mutations and evolve, but remember that they are not living organisms, so don't assign too much "intelligence" to them. Chance mutations or recombinations that result in a more fastidious or infectious virus would certainly have a higher chance of propagating.

I would expect transmission of flu et al to return to more typical rates if/when life returns to normal.

Reactions: allvol123
Along this note: I've now had 5 patients require hospitalization/ER treatment due to suicide attempt since the fall. That's an extremely worrisome number, like nothing our practice has ever seen.

Also, it could be coincidence, but I've had several newborns born to substance-abusing mothers recently. It will be interesting to see if this is another trend due to lockdowns, isolation, joblessness, anxiety/depression, stimulus money, etc.

Last edited:
Along this note: I've now had 5 patients require hospitalization/ER treatment due to suicide attempt since the fall. That's an extremely worrisome number, like nothing our practice has ever seen.

Also, it could be coincidence, but I've had several newborns born to substance-abusing mothers recently. It will be interesting to see if this is another trend due to lockdowns, isolation, joblessness, anxiety/depression, stimulus money, etc.

My mom's cancer diagnosis was delayed due to the various issues around covid. I would imagine there are thousands like her that experienced delays in medical situations that may cost them.

Lucky. I was in bed most of the day after with joint pain, headache, weakness, and fever.
I've only talked to 4 folks who have gotten the vaccine, and they've all had similar experience. One with Phizer, the others with Moderna, all with the second shot. Seems like this isn't getting a lot of publicity.

I recently got the virus and recovered. The CDC, the internet publishers, and a lot of doctors are saying infected folks should still get the vaccine. That just makes no sense to me. Reinfection is extremely rare. And if the vaccines work, so should infection immunity. I can't make sense of this. I don't want my ass kicked by a vaccine for no reason. Now I'm suspecting everywhere, including my employer, will likely require it. The world doesn't make sense anymore. It's just partisan stupidity. And it appears the doctors or science given a microphone are no better than politicians. Is everyone bought and paid for?

I've only talked to 4 folks who have gotten the vaccine, and they've all had similar experience. One with Phizer, the others with Moderna, all with the second shot. Seems like this isn't getting a lot of publicity.

I recently got the virus and recovered. The CDC, the internet publishers, and a lot of doctors are saying infected folks should still get the vaccine. That just makes no sense to me. Reinfection is extremely rare. And if the vaccines work, so should infection immunity. I can't make sense of this. I don't want my ass kicked by a vaccine for no reason. Now I'm suspecting everywhere, including my employer, will likely require it. The world doesn't make sense anymore. It's just partisan stupidity. And it appears the doctors or science given a microphone are no better than politicians. Is everyone bought and paid for?
Better yet, why would we be wasting vaccines on healthcare workers who have already had and recovered from the virus when much of the at-risk population does not have access? That's dumb as hell.

The vaccine response is supposed to be your body's reaction to developing immunity. If you already have antibodies, you shouldn't have a reaction. Is this correct @kiddiedoc ?

The vaccine response is supposed to be your body's reaction to developing immunity. If you already have antibodies, you shouldn't have a reaction. Is this correct @kiddiedoc ?

I suspect it will react similar to the booster shot. The response is due to your immune system kicking in. It's not the developing immunity. The question is whether it's really needed, or worth it, or safe.

From the article...
"In this pandemic psychological safety is important, it provides a sense of control in an unknown environment," Ernst wrote (Johnโ€™s Hopkins)

And...
โ€œWhen worn correctly, a single face mask made of "appropriate material" typically offers enough protection, Paula Cannon, a distinguished professor of molecular microbiology and immunology at the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California (USC), previously said in an email.
However, wearing two can provide additional protection. A second mask can create a tighter seal around your face, and also help secure the masks so they don't slip down," she added.โ€

So, double masking is recommended for psychological reasons and to make up for a poorly fitting first mask??

Reactions: NorthDallas40

VN Store

Back