Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Never let a crisis go to waste...execution edition

Attorney: Execution may be virus super-spreader, seeks delay

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — A lawyer for an Alabama inmate scheduled to be executed next month is asking the Alabama Supreme Court to delay the lethal injection because of COVID-19.

The normally crowded witness rooms by the execution chamber increase the risk of spreading the virus and restrictions on travel and prison visits during the pandemic make it more difficult for his attorney to prepare a clemency petition, an attorney for Willie B Smith wrote in the petition filed Wednesday.

“Mr. Smith’s execution has all the makings of a super-spreader event, threatening not just the lives of those who attend the execution, but also the lives of the people in the communities from which they came,” attorney Leslie S. Smith wrote.

I agree with his heart in principle, however the vaccine does not belong to him so it's not his choice of what to do with it, especially to make sure he vaccinated his wife and some friends.
Once its expiration runs out who does it belong too? What happens to Rx stuff once its shelf line is over?

Proof positive why government, and those hired to enforce its mandates, are often stupid. How about we apply some common sense?
Depends. Does it break down into harmful pieces? There has to be reason there is a shelf life and extreme cold requirements.

It gets disposed of properly. Anything else is illegal

maybe technically illegal but is this really worth bringing charges over?

as the article points out the DA still has a tweet up suggesting the vaccine was stolen even after evidence proves otherwise; she's promoting an early version of the story that has been debunked.

Depends. Does it break down into harmful pieces? There has to be reason there is a shelf life and extreme cold requirements.
Would not a doctor know what the limits are on the product? The common sense test you are trying to apply, apparently doesn't apply here. He had unused vaccine. He had unvaccinated arms that wanted the product. Therefore.... we charge him with a 'crime' for not throwing out something that is 1) in high demand, but 2) intended for someone that didn't bother to show up for said product. Great government logic.

Would not a doctor know what the limits are on the product? The common sense test you are trying to apply, apparently doesn't apply here. He had unused vaccine. He had unvaccinated arms that wanted the product. Therefore.... we charge him with a 'crime' for not throwing out something that is 1) in high demand, but 2) intended for someone that didn't bother to show up for said product. Great government logic.
It's a fine line.

I can support the doctor making an informed and well intentioned act.

But also recognize that other doctors may act in selfish regards.

It's always the crux of safety, in anything, you limit the actions that may be ok, to avoid people taking advantage when it's not ok.

Personally speaking I wouldnt think this doctor was morally wrong unless he didnt first warn the recipients.

It's a fine line.

I can support the doctor making an informed and well intentioned act.

But also recognize that other doctors may act in selfish regards.

It's always the crux of safety, in anything, you limit the actions that may be ok, to avoid people taking advantage when it's not ok.

Personally speaking I wouldnt think this doctor was morally wrong unless he didnt first warn the recipients.
Good grief. Warn? About what? Do you really think he was just going around sticking people he could get into the back of his van? C'mon man.

Free ummmmm vaccines.... get 'em before they're hot. They'll make you handsome and strong.

As a matter of fact, it would be great if doctors/hospitals/clinics had standby lists so they could use all of the product. This whole discussion is beyond stupid, and to charge him with a crime is insane. No wonder doctors are quitting.

Good grief. Warn? About what? Do you really think he was just going around sticking people he could get into the back of his van? C'mon man.

Free ummmmm vaccines.... get 'em before they're hot. They'll make you handsome and strong.

As a matter of fact, it would be great if doctors/hospitals/clinics had standby lists so they could use all of the product. This whole discussion is beyond stupid, and to charge him with a crime is insane. No wonder doctors are quitting.
This is one specific case. As I said I may be able to support him this time, while still recognizing that theres a possibility for wrong doing, and thus a need for the rules.

What do you think happens to this doctor, outside the legal, if people found out he was giving away "spoiled" drugs.

This is one specific case. As I said I may be able to support him this time, while still recognizing that theres a possibility for wrong doing, and thus a need for the rules.

What do you think happens to this doctor, outside the legal, if people found out he was giving away "spoiled" drugs.
They weren't spoiled yet. That was the whole point of the doctor administering them to people he could get to take them.

VN Store

Back