Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Ohio just did a really good thing. They passed a law where the legislature has some say in these executive health orders coming from the statehouse. No longer can a Governor or health director by decree indefinitely put on a mask mandate, lockdown or quarantine. After awhile the legislature needs to have a say.

Ohio lawmakers override health order bill veto from Gov. DeWine

Ohio just did a really good thing. They passed a law where the legislature has some say in these executive health orders coming from the statehouse. No longer can a Governor or health director by decree indefinitely put on a mask mandate, lockdown or quarantine. After awhile the legislature needs to have a say.

Ohio lawmakers override health order bill veto from Gov. DeWine
Why did it take a year? These mandates are not legal. Anyone who pushed any kind of mandate should be removed from office

Reactions: newyorkvol
wrong

you continue to use test positivity data which is a biased measure - a while back I used the NYC data to show that neighborhoods with high levels of testing have low positivity and those with low levels have higher positivity. There is no baseline metric (eg same proportion of the population being tested and randomly chosen).

I'll also remind you how you told everyone Texas was in the midst of a surge after one or two days of uptick but as I pointed out then it was not enough data to be a trend and was likely the result of testing that was delayed during the deep freeze. A current look at the data shows I was correct and you were wrong.

Bottomline, you have a poor track record of looking at data and translating that into conclusions.
Texas is barely hanging on after the butcher Abbott decrees all mandates null and void 10 days ago.

#prayforTexas #CuomoSaveUs

70C83760-D242-4C90-A5A7-BA2FA05B5A3B.png

Maybe you could explain to these good people about viral interference.
That could possibly be contributing, but there certainly weren't enough people infected with CV19 by November/December to completely eliminate the flu and RSV via interference.

The phenomenon is poorly understood and a lot is hypothesis. Basically, immune response to one infection may have some general/nonspecific protection vs other infectious agents.

There are a lot of holes in the idea, though. E.g.: first-year preschoolers and kindergarteners are constantly sick, we frequently see flu A and flu B in the same patient within a season, etc.

I'll add this: if interference/regular immune challenge is useful in our protection vs respiratory viruses, next winter is going to suck royally.

Last edited:
That could possibly be contributing, but there certainly weren't enough people infected with CV19 by November/December to completely eliminate the flu and RSV via interference.

The phenomenon is poorly understood and a lot is hypothesis. Basically, immune response to one infection may have some general/nonspecific protection vs other infectious agents.

There are a lot of holes in the idea, though. E.g.: first-year preschoolers and kindergarteners are constantly sick, were frequently see flu A and flu B in the same patient within a season, etc.

I'll add this: if interference/regular immune challenge is useful in our protection vs respiratory viruses, next winter is going to suck royally.
Peds population isnā€™t my forte, so I canā€™t speak to it because they can be so different from the adult population... but if, as many have hypothesized here, there are areas of the country close to herd R0, then viral interference could certainly be a factor. Just tired of hearing that the ā€œmedia made flu season disappear with covidā€ when, in fact, covid may have done that for us.

Iā€™m with you on next season being bad, youā€™re gonna see a lot of sick kids next fall.

Peds population isnā€™t my forte, so I canā€™t speak to it because they can be so different from the adult population... but if, as many have hypothesized here, there are areas of the country close to herd R0, then viral interference could certainly be a factor. Just tired of hearing that the ā€œmedia made flu season disappear with covidā€ when, in fact, covid may have done that for us.

Iā€™m with you on next season being bad, youā€™re gonna see a lot of sick kids next fall.
Yeah, the media can't make all my tests come back negative. I think the biggest factors reducing flu cases are very little travel (esp international) and less social gathering/interaction. This also significantly decreases the chances that the flu vaccine "misses" due to an imported strain becoming dominant.

RSV is tougher to explain. Daycares have remained open and infants/toddlers are still nasty and don't wear masks.

VN Store

Back