Let me get this straight...(UT vs CFP teams)

Your right on the DL comment. I think another thing people miss out on is the style of play from some teams. Iowa, Mich St., Mich, Ohio St.,Wisc, and other Big 10 teams play a more pro style smash mouth style of football. Bama, LSU, Arky, and a lot of the Strong SEC schools play the same way. That's why they are tough to beat. I really wish the SEC and Big 10 would play the games like Bielima suggested. I think everyone would start to see just how close the two leagues really are.

Realistically, the Big 10 is 7-8 deep, and the SEC is 8-9 deep right now. That's not a big difference at all.

Well this delightful debate started with a poster's opinion that the Iowa bowl game LY was somehow closer than the score indicated, which is nonsense.

Then the question was posed: what would the outcome be if UT and Iowa played this season? Most posters on here are absolute homers for either UT or the SEC or both - but in this one example - that doesn't mean they're wrong. There was a glaring speed differential across nearly every position in that bowl game, and conventional wisdom says it's unlikely that Iowa got that much faster in one off-season.

It's much more likely that they have benefited from a soft schedule that allowed them to miss virtually every good Big 10 team this year. That's not an indictment of the Big 10; I think last year's OSU run put that connotation to bed.

We'll see what Iowa can do vs Neb and in the championship game. Maybe they'll surprise me, but I doubt it. There are at least 7 or 8 teams in the SEC who would likely beat Iowa head-to-head. But that's not saying much, because I see them as only the 4th or 5th best team in their own league.

Reactions: 3 people
So is Iowa. Game was closer than the score indicated and it was a bowl game that we wanted to be at while they didn't want to be there. My bet is Iowa wouldn't let UF convert 4 4th and longs on them

Not only is that statement wrong, but the truth is the exact opposite. The score didnt nearly reflect how bad we dominated them as they left their ones in versus our third string to get some cheap TDs. UT could have beat that Iowa team by 50+ if we hadn't called off the dogs.

So is Iowa. Game was closer than the score indicated and it was a bowl game that we wanted to be at while they didn't want to be there. My bet is Iowa wouldn't let UF convert 4 4th and longs on them

I would completely disagree with that statement...the game wasn't as close as the score indicated...at all...

Not only is that statement wrong, but the truth is the exact opposite. The score didnt nearly reflect how bad we dominated them as they left their ones in versus our third string to get some cheap TDs. UT could have beat that Iowa team by 50+ if we hadn't called off the dogs.

Sorry pal....didn't see your post before I posted mine but your jaw must have dropped like mine...what game was he watching???

Sorry pal....didn't see your post before I posted mine but your jaw must have dropped like mine...what game was he watching???

I have no clue, I see silly stuff on this website all the time, but I don't know if I've ever seen something so out right wrong.

Why is the stupid arrogance so strong around here?? REAL football people know and understand that the difference in speed is minimal when talking about the highest levels of college football. Some teams may play a different style of play, but trust that the skill players can all run. Iowa has three backs that can all go the distance if they get a crack. That's a fact. If they played for UT, you would not be talking about there speed. The plain truth about Iowa is that they had a shift in leadership and it paid of. There best QB and some others were not starting and the team has tension because of it. Its been pretty well documented about how the shift at QB changed the team and their perspective. Iowa is a good football team, that can finish you off. UT is good football, who CANT finish. That's the difference this year. UT would not be undefeated in the Big10, and Iowa would not get their azzes kicked in the SEC. They would both about what they are, because the leagues are pretty well matched up.
Lets get with reality and stop the SEC is the GOAT nonsense.

This has nothing to do with the SEC being great or the big 10 being bad. Both conferences have great teams and bad teams. However, you can't get around the fact Iowa has played no one of consequence. And you can't get around the fact they don't recruit a high caliber of athlete like we do.

Athlete for athlete we are superior. That is why we killed them. Not because of the fact that we're an SEC team. We're a team that recruit high caliber athletes.

My bet is UF beat Vandy by 2 and needed over time to beat an FCS team. Just bc they won a putrid SEC East doesn't mean they are an amazing team. Iowa would beat them by 10-14

This putrid Florida team also best Ole Miss by 28 points. A team that beat #2 Alabama. You see this transitive property thing with wins and losses can go both ways.

The reason Florida would easily beat Iowa has nothing to do with their record or what conference they play in. It has to do with the fact that they simple have better athletes.

Sure Iowa might win a game against Florida if they got the dead fish Florida team that showed up against Vanderbilt and FAU. But a motivated Florida team (like the one that played against us, Ole Miss, and LSU) would kill Iowa because of their superior athleticism.

Iowa had two failed 4 down conversions in our territory early in the game and the dumbest kick off return mistake I've ever seen. If they convert those and the returner lets the ball go out of bounds it's a 13-21 point swing. Once we got a big lead their players kinda quit on D. Happens all the time in small bowl games when the outcome doesn't really matter

Just stop. We kicked their a**, plain and simple. We were the better team and there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it.

Any system that considers the Big 10 a "power" conference is pretty much a joke.

Iowa would be a .500 team in the SEC and only slightly better in the ACC.

My bet is UF beat Vandy by 2 and needed over time to beat an FCS team. Just bc they won a putrid SEC East doesn't mean they are an amazing team. Iowa would beat them by 10-14

Lmao! Your smoking something other than ham this thanksgiving!

I'm not talking about last years Iowa team. They didn't come to play in the bowl game and got hammered as they should have. This years Iowa team does not look like last years, fact. I see a lot of football from both teams and leagues. I did not expect Iowa to make this huge of a jump. I expected UT to make the huge jump. Talent levels are not wide between the teams or the leagues. UT would for sure give Iowa a run for their money, but to think UT rolls this teams because they rolled a flat Iowa team last year is stupid. SEC fans are starting to look really dumb as each year goes by. All they keep saying is how the Big 10 and every other league cant compare, yet the SEC is losing more and more bowl and big games. Even the games they are winning are nail biters.

UT would 100% roll Iowa and when Iowa loses a couple here towards the end of the season( wouldn't be surprised if they slip up against Nebraska and then get hammered in the Big10 championship game) if they somehow fell to the Outback bowl and had a rematch with us, I would bet you $100 dollars PayPal that UT wins by at least two scores.

Last edited:
Any system that considers the Big 10 a "power" conference is pretty much a joke.

The Big Ten is on the rise. Switch off the SEC network and watch a few of their games. It is still top heavy but they have good teams with some tough defenses.

this is what a parochial college football fan looks like...the average sec team is about a fg better than the average big 10 team and there is a lot of unbiased objective evidence f that..

and the whole idea of looking at last years game against Iowa and thinking we'd beat them by 2 td's this year based on that is just dumb..last year was last year..you people are aware that at times the strength of a team will change from year to year, and often does so even when the personnel is largely the same, no?

VN Store

Back