London Vol: medical update

London Vol

I know some people have commented that I have been absent for some while, well I believe I am in position now to explain why.

Back in January I was given a medical marker that was high and was offered a Colonoscopy, being a typical male, I so very nearly declined the offer. But fortunately, I went ahead with the procedure and during this they found by accident a lump and the following biopsy confirmed it was a cancer tumor. And a large kidney stone just for extras.

It will try to keep this short, this parachuted me into a world of fear and ultimately pain for both me and my dear family. Six months later and having had 5 operations, CT scans, MRI scans, PET scans, in fact more tests than a MENSA member I can say that the Neuroendocrine tumor and kidney stone have been removed and I have been told that they do not plan to “go back in” until December to check that things have not returned. Given where I was and where I could have been, this is a great result and fell blessed (I don’t know what the future holds but I am in the hands of the one who holds the future) to be able to report this.

But the real reason I have decided to put this into the public domain is that I so nearly never went for the first investigation and if I hadn’t then the outcome would have, in time been very different so:

I beg, implore, urge, encourage and hope ALL in Volnation do not ignore a test, ignore a strange pain, ignore a nagging concern about ones body, get it checked out, I am so happy I did.

Because health is paramount to all of us I hope the moderator will allow this to be visible to as many people as it can on this form.

One small point I also wish to make, whilst I was lying in scan tunnels, or in operation theaters and waiting rooms I often let my mind travel 4,000 miles to a piece of orange in the deep south of a far away land and think about the depth chart of our Defensive Line, think about how good is No 8 really going to be, think about explaining to my wife in the next room, when she hears be Booing at he top of my voice it does not mean I am unhappy it is because Mr Carter has just introduced a Bulldog to the Neyland Turf.

Even in dark and very dark times orange shines brightly.

GO VOLS

I know some people have commented that I have been absent for some while, well I believe I am in position now to explain why.

Back in January I was given a medical marker that was high and was offered a Colonoscopy, being a typical male, I so very nearly declined the offer. But fortunately, I went ahead with the procedure and during this they found by accident a lump and the following biopsy confirmed it was a cancer tumor. And a large kidney stone just for extras.

It will try to keep this short, this parachuted me into a world of fear and ultimately pain for both me and my dear family. Six months later and having had 5 operations, CT scans, MRI scans, PET scans, in fact more tests than a MENSA member I can say that the Neuroendocrine tumor and kidney stone have been removed and I have been told that they do not plan to “go back in” until December to check that things have not returned. Given where I was and where I could have been, this is a great result and fell blessed (I don’t know what the future holds but I am in the hands of the one who holds the future) to be able to report this.

But the real reason I have decided to put this into the public domain is that I so nearly never went for the first investigation and if I hadn’t then the outcome would have, in time been very different so:

I beg, implore, urge, encourage and hope ALL in Volnation do not ignore a test, ignore a strange pain, ignore a nagging concern about ones body, get it checked out, I am so happy I did.

Because health is paramount to all of us I hope the moderator will allow this to be visible to as many people as it can on this form.

One small point I also wish to make, whilst I was lying in scan tunnels, or in operation theaters and waiting rooms I often let my mind travel 4,000 miles to a piece of orange in the deep south of a far away land and think about the depth chart of our Defensive Line, think about how good is No 8 really going to be, think about explaining to my wife in the next room, when she hears be Booing at he top of my voice it does not mean I am unhappy it is because Mr Carter has just introduced a Bulldog to the Neyland Turf.

GO VOLS

Good news. Good to read they felt good enough to release you to an entire football season of recouperation. Cheers to many healthy - healthier even - days and seasons ahead.

GO VOLS
May God bless you and watch over you through your entire recovery and follow-up tests. I love your analysis on all of the subjects and players, you have been missed. Looking forward to your future posts and praying for great health to follow.

Well, LV, I had a feeling something was up...not hearing from our Bristish Vol in a while. Thanks for sharing your saga & thank the Lord you have weathered the storm. In 2021 my "stress test" indicated a need for attention...then a triple bypass ensued. I'm feeling great today, not bad for a 76-year old curmudgeon. Hope you were able to celebrate the Tennessee Baseball Team's NCAA Championship. It was a marvelous accomplishment, not unlike your quest for success. Thanks for sharing your journey & tally-ho! :cool:

GO VOLS
First off, it’s great to see you posting. Secondly, my practices are with you. Third, thanks for sharing.

Today is my 53rd birthday and I received a follow up call regarding my colonoscopy appt scheduled on the 16h. I just told my wife I may cancel as I’m exhausted from work and out of pocket is $1000.

I may decide to proceed or reschedule in August.

Thank you again for posting @ London Vol. Please take care of yourself!

Last edited:

GO VOLS
I concur and could not agree more about having tests done. 4 years ago I had a colonoscopy and it was discovered I had colon cancer. Fortunately for me it was contained to the colon and surgery took care of it. Since it hadn’t spread I was fortunate enough not to have chemo or radiation. I implore anyone to have these tests done when it’s time or if a doctor determines it’s needed. If anyone has questions or needs someone to talk to I will always be available to help. Several people reached out to me when I needed it most.

GO VOLS
We'll be praying my friend, that nothing comes back. I agree completely, it can happen fast. My mother in law started hurting in her hip in December, January was diagnosed with cancer, and gone by march. It was so bad, started in her lungs, they couldn't do anything. She wouldn't go for nearly a year over her bad cough, and it had spread from lungs to everywhere, including bones. She had tumors so bad they cracked her hip, femur, and couple of ribs. Who knows what might have happened if she'd went when the cough first started, but she didn't.

GO VOLS
I'm thankful you had the procedure(colonoscopy) as family. my father passed away from colon cancer in 1995. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. He is the reason that I have been following the Big Orange since 1957 as a 7 year old. Because of my father's condition I have had 6 colonoscopys and will continue to have them every 5 years. The point in all of this is let people know that a colonoscopy is nothing to fear and very important if there is a history of colon cancer in your family.
London Vol I wish you well and may God bless you and your family
I look forward to seeing more posts from you throughout the coming years.

London, glad you're okay.

The way I look at colonoscopies is, you're out cold. You have no idea anything is going on. And the doc, the anesthesiologist and their 4 gorgeous nurses/assistants all probably get some pretty good laughs out of sticking a tube up your butt while you sleep.

So it's a win-win.

Go get it done.

Go Vols!

Well, LV, I had a feeling something was up...not hearing from our Bristish Vol in a while. Thanks for sharing your saga & thank the Lord you have weathered the storm. In 2021 my "stress test" indicated a need for attention...then a triple bypass ensued. I'm feeling great today, not bad for a 76-year old curmudgeon. Hope you were able to celebrate the Tennessee Baseball Team's NCAA Championship. It was a marvelous accomplishment, not unlike your quest for success. Thanks for sharing your journey & tally-ho! :cool:
And Volnation are richer for your presence
First off, it’s great to see you posting. Secondly, my practices are with you. Third, thanks for sharing.

Today is my 53rd birthday and I received a follow up call regarding my colonoscopy appt scheduled on the 16h. I just told my wife I may cancel as I’m exhausted from work and out of pocket is $1000.

I may decide to proceed or reschedule in August.
All I know is im glad I did it
I concur and could not agree more about having tests done. 4 years ago I had a colonoscopy and it was discovered I had colon cancer. Fortunately for me it was contained to the colon and surgery took care of it. Since it hadn’t spread I was fortunate enough not to have chemo or radiation. I implore anyone to have these tests done when it’s time or if a doctor determines it’s needed. If anyone has questions or needs someone to talk to I will always be available to help. Several people reached out to me when I needed it most.
Gosh, I wish i had known about your story👏
I'm thankful you had the procedure(colonoscopy) as family. my father passed away from colon cancer in 1995. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. He is the reason that I have been following the Big Orange since 1957 as a 7 year old. Because of my father's condition I have had 6 colonoscopys and will continue to have them every 5 years. The point in all of this is let people know that a colonoscopy is nothing to fear and very important if there is a history of colon cancer in your family.
Thank you and im so sorry for your loss. Your right about a Colonoscopy, (I have had three, in Jan, in Apr and 3 weeks ago) it sounds awful but your off to "dozy" land so you feel nothing and your fine afterwards.
London, glad you're okay.

The way I look at colonoscopies is, you're out cold. You have no idea anything is going on. And the doc, the anesthesiologist and their 4 gorgeous nurses/assistants all probably get some pretty good laughs out of sticking a tube up your butt while you sleep.

So it's a win-win.

Go get it done.

Go Vols!
You summed it up perfectly what I rambled on about for far too long.

I put off for years getting a colonoscopy but it was always in the back of my mind that I needed to get one done...Finally broke down and had one done during the week of the 3rd Saturday in October...To be honest, it was like a walk in the park...All those years of dread/fear of the procedure turned out to be nothing at all...

Great synopsis of your situation and your adoptive love for thde VOLS. Moreso than many alumni that were schooled on the hill. LV, it is a magnificent place and if you make it here, you won't have to pull out your pound notes for a cold one. We gotcha covered there.

Side-note: My last colonoscopy - I wanted to get it done earliest appointment, but when I showed up, there was one fellow checking-in in front of me. I sat in the reception area and was waiting my turn and couldn't help but hear the conversation. I'm not mentioning the fellow's name because of privacy and also because I can't remember it. So the receptionist says, "I'm sorry to inform you your appointment is scheduled for tomorrow". Let that sink in a minute. Poor guy went through the same prep I was still acknowledging even then. I felt so bad for him. About a half hour later, as I was about to go under, I asked my attendant what happens to guys like that. She said, " Oh.. we will squeeze him in". Thank goodness.

LV our prayers are on the side of "They got everything" and wish you a speedy recovery.

GO VOLS
Thank you for the update LV. Thrilled that you are now on the road to recovery. Great advice too.

LV, I am very glad you are proceeding well. Sorry this has happened to you, but hang with the MD’s advice and pray. Multiple prayers from here for your complete recovery. You are a great member on this board and I sincerely hope you make it here to UT soon.

Reactions: HeadVol77

GO VOLS

Best wishes for many healthy years in the future.

Reactions: HeadVol77

GO VOLS
LV, I'm so glad you went in for the procedure, and I pray you recover fully from your illness. Your sports insights are a true joy to read, and I'm so glad you bleed orange. If not, you would be enhancing some other team's forum, and we would be missing out.

There have been tremendous strides made in the war against cancer, and the strides improve every day. The secret is early detection, and I would stress to everyone to not delay in getting any procedure offered to you by your doctor.

As far as a colonoscopy is concerned, I long for the day for when they will give you the anesthesia for the prep, throw you in a tub with warm streaming water, and then just do the procedure with a nerve block.

I understand a colonoscopy is very important, but I don't think I dread anything as much as this test!!

Keep us informed LV. You are a treasure on Volnation and we love to read your assessments of the game. Just amazed at your knowledge and insight of the school and game we love as you come from a different culture.

We will be praying for your total recovery. Peace. ✌️

VN Store

Back