London Vol: medical update

I know some people have commented that I have been absent for some while, well I believe I am in position now to explain why.

Back in January I was given a medical marker that was high and was offered a Colonoscopy, being a typical male, I so very nearly declined the offer. But fortunately, I went ahead with the procedure and during this they found by accident a lump and the following biopsy confirmed it was a cancer tumor. And a large kidney stone just for extras.

It will try to keep this short, this parachuted me into a world of fear and ultimately pain for both me and my dear family. Six months later and having had 5 operations, CT scans, MRI scans, PET scans, in fact more tests than a MENSA member I can say that the Neuroendocrine tumor and kidney stone have been removed and I have been told that they do not plan to “go back in” until December to check that things have not returned. Given where I was and where I could have been, this is a great result and fell blessed (I don’t know what the future holds but I am in the hands of the one who holds the future) to be able to report this.

But the real reason I have decided to put this into the public domain is that I so nearly never went for the first investigation and if I hadn’t then the outcome would have, in time been very different so:

I beg, implore, urge, encourage and hope ALL in Volnation do not ignore a test, ignore a strange pain, ignore a nagging concern about ones body, get it checked out, I am so happy I did.

Because health is paramount to all of us I hope the moderator will allow this to be visible to as many people as it can on this form.

One small point I also wish to make, whilst I was lying in scan tunnels, or in operation theaters and waiting rooms I often let my mind travel 4,000 miles to a piece of orange in the deep south of a far away land and think about the depth chart of our Defensive Line, think about how good is No 8 really going to be, think about explaining to my wife in the next room, when she hears be Booing at he top of my voice it does not mean I am unhappy it is because Mr Carter has just introduced a Bulldog to the Neyland Turf.

Even in dark and very dark times orange shines brightly.

GO VOLS
Appreciate you sharing this news and very happy that you are doing well. Stay strong!

Best thoughts heading your way. The Tennessee Orange is special. Sure other fan bases say the same thing about their colors and traditions but we Vols know there is nothing like God’s Country in Rocky Top Tennessee. Hope you get to come back to it soon.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I beg, implore, urge, encourage and hope ALL in Volnation do not ignore a test, ignore a strange pain, ignore a nagging concern about ones body, get it checked out, I am so happy I did.

Ditto London Vol. Year ago last Christmas, my doc in Wilmington NC said I was not experienced Afib and or heart issues. I got to my FL home after xmas and drove myself to the Cleveland Clinic Emergency Room in Sturart and admitted myself. After three hours of tests, the heart surgeon says "Congratulations Doug, you have earned yourself a Free night stay at the hospital and will be given a Quadruple bypass first thing tomorrow morning". I was soooo happy that I found a Doctor that recognized my symptoms. (had blockages of 50%, 60%, 94% and 96%)

Don't man up men when it comes to your body. Listen, pay attention to doctors and either die a macho man or, live a happy life. Choice is yours.

I understand a colonoscopy is very important, but I don't think I dread anything as much as this test!!
Trust me the test is nothing compares to being told it was cancer. I read with laughter the comments about the 10 hour prep for the test (I originally didn't mention it as I did not want to put anybody off) and even after the prep I need to take a train journey to the hospital so sit as close to the toilet as I can, but seriously keep thinking big picture its worth it.
Well, that's good news.
But I have to wonder if, when the surgeon finished sewing you up, he said, "Bob's your uncle!"
I like it "me old cocker"

Ditto London Vol. Year ago last Christmas, my doc in Wilmington NC said I was not experienced Afib and or heart issues. I got to my FL home after xmas and drove myself to the Cleveland Clinic Emergency Room in Sturart and admitted myself. After three hours of tests, the heart surgeon says "Congratulations Doug, you have earned yourself a Free night stay at the hospital and will be given a Quadruple bypass first thing tomorrow morning". I was soooo happy that I found a Doctor that recognized my symptoms. (had blockages of 50%, 60%, 94% and 96%)

Don't man up men when it comes to your body. Listen, pay attention to doctors and
wow, well done and so glad all turned out well"either die a macho man or, live a happy life. Choice is yours." brilliantly put

Great synopsis of your situation and your adoptive love for thde VOLS. Moreso than many alumni that were schooled on the hill. LV, it is a magnificent place and if you make it here, you won't have to pull out your pound notes for a cold one. We gotcha covered there.

Side-note: My last colonoscopy - I wanted to get it done earliest appointment, but when I showed up, there was one fellow checking-in in front of me. I sat in the reception area and was waiting my turn and couldn't help but hear the conversation. I'm not mentioning the fellow's name because of privacy and also because I can't remember it. So the receptionist says, "I'm sorry to inform you your appointment is scheduled for tomorrow". Let that sink in a minute. Poor guy went through the same prep I was still acknowledging even then. I felt so bad for him. About a half hour later, as I was about to go under, I asked my attendant what happens to guys like that. She said, " Oh.. we will squeeze him in". Thank goodness.

LV our prayers are on the side of "They got everything" and wish you a speedy recovery.
That unfortunately is the one tricky bit of my experience, having cancer on my record will totally affect my foreign travel insurance, but no tears please its OK, I with be with you guys and gals every Saturday (whilst the big man upstairs allows me to), in the fall and anyway I did get to the see, first hand, the "Pride of the Southland Band" perform in front of my very own tearful eyes and yes the London air was filled by out of tune rendition of Rocky Top will always be .........

I know some people have commented that I have been absent for some while, well I believe I am in position now to explain why.

Back in January I was given a medical marker that was high and was offered a Colonoscopy, being a typical male, I so very nearly declined the offer. But fortunately, I went ahead with the procedure and during this they found by accident a lump and the following biopsy confirmed it was a cancer tumor. And a large kidney stone just for extras.

It will try to keep this short, this parachuted me into a world of fear and ultimately pain for both me and my dear family. Six months later and having had 5 operations, CT scans, MRI scans, PET scans, in fact more tests than a MENSA member I can say that the Neuroendocrine tumor and kidney stone have been removed and I have been told that they do not plan to “go back in” until December to check that things have not returned. Given where I was and where I could have been, this is a great result and fell blessed (I don’t know what the future holds but I am in the hands of the one who holds the future) to be able to report this.

But the real reason I have decided to put this into the public domain is that I so nearly never went for the first investigation and if I hadn’t then the outcome would have, in time been very different so:

Because health is paramount to all of us I hope the moderator will allow this to be visible to as many people as it can on this form.

One small point I also wish to make, whilst I was lying in scan tunnels, or in operation theaters and waiting rooms I often let my mind travel 4,000 miles to a piece of orange in the deep south of a far away land and think about the depth chart of our Defensive Line, think about how good is No 8 really going to be, think about explaining to my wife in the next room, when she hears be Booing at he top of my voice it does not mean I am unhappy it is because Mr Carter has just introduced a Bulldog to the Neyland Turf.

GO VOLS
get well quick my vol friend.

Reactions: Jacksonvol

GO VOLS
I reflect fondly on the memories of reading your "Perspective from Big Ben" posts during my Advanced Organic Chemistry lectures at Georgia Tech (nothing of substance was ever covered in lecture). Between sips of my morning coffee/whisky mix, I enjoyed reading your takes on the performance of our beloved Volunteers. Thank you for taking the time to write and share your perspective.

I wish you well, friend. Good luck in your fight ahead. When times get tough and uncertain, and you struggle to find the will to persevere, look into the eyes of your loved ones and remember your responsibility to provide for, protect, and cherish them. Love them more fiercely than you ever thought possible. You can and you will make it through this.

You will be in my prayers.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Well, LV, I had a feeling something was up...not hearing from our Bristish Vol in a while. Thanks for sharing your saga & thank the Lord you have weathered the storm. In 2021 my "stress test" indicated a need for attention...then a triple bypass ensued. I'm feeling great today, not bad for a 76-year old curmudgeon. Hope you were able to celebrate the Tennessee Baseball Team's NCAA Championship. It was a marvelous accomplishment, not unlike your quest for success. Thanks for sharing your journey & tally-ho! :cool:

Well said FS......

Reactions: feathersax
I'm thankful you had the procedure(colonoscopy) as family. my father passed away from colon cancer in 1995. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. He is the reason that I have been following the Big Orange since 1957 as a 7 year old. Because of my father's condition I have had 6 colonoscopys and will continue to have them every 5 years. The point in all of this is let people know that a colonoscopy is nothing to fear and very important if there is a history of colon cancer in your family.
London Vol I wish you well and may God bless you and your family
I look forward to seeing more posts from you throughout the coming years.
What do you mean have no fear? Just joking, but my doc gave me the option once of not being sedated so I thought what the heck - recovery will be quicker..... All I have to add to all the encouragement is if ever given the option of remaining awake - DON'T DO IT!

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
I only had a local for my first colonoscopy. I got to see my colon live on TV (the monitor)! For the many since, I've had general anesthesia (thank goodness).

Firm your resolve for follow ups, @London Vol. "C" is no trivial malady. Endure colo prep as many times as prescribed.

Fair skies and favorable winds...

GO VOLS
Prep is the only part of the exercise that really sucks. The procedure is a piece of cake.

GO VOLS

Glad for news of your recovery. Get ALL your tests! PSA included! PSA is tested off a simple blood test. Some, like myself, have a genetic defect that makes us prone to colon, breast (yes, men, breast) and prostate cancer. I am on the every 5 year test wagon for colonoscopies.

My most recent was conducted by a Dr. wearing Univ. of Michigan scrubs. When I came in wearing nothing but my Tennessee socks, the Dr. made sure to let me know he rooted for Big Blue. My response? "Doc, I hope I squirt-leak all over you!" The nurses all laughed, and I then went off to sleep humming Rocky Top. (Yes, I know pics of my bum are probably all over the internet now, but it was worth it.)

GET SCREENED!

And, #FCancer!

GO VOLS

Wow, great post. Hope your good news continues. I've had four, best sleep I've ever had...........

Reactions: London Vol

GO VOLS
Prayers for you and your family. I am a colon cancer survivor as well and I also almost waited too long.

London...so thankful you were wise and on the road to recovery. Praying for great news in December for you as well. And i agree...Propofol (Michael Jackson drug as anesthesiologist call it) is one sweet dream! Good thing I can't get my hands on it. 😂 😂

I would HIGHLY recommend reading this article about his colonoscope written by Dave Barry. Absolute journalistic comedic gold!
https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html

Last edited:

GO VOLS
May God continue to heal you and comfort you and your family. I have a colonoscopy coming in the near future. Not having any stomach or GI issues, but the doggone Cologuard had a positive result, so off I go.

Reactions: tennrich1
First off, it’s great to see you posting. Secondly, my practices are with you. Third, thanks for sharing.

Today is my 53rd birthday and I received a follow up call regarding my colonoscopy appt scheduled on the 16h. I just told my wife I may cancel as I’m exhausted from work and out of pocket is $1000.

I may decide to proceed or reschedule in August.

Thank you again for posting @ London Vol. Please take care of yourself!
My doctor "forced" me to do it early at 49. Said he did not like what he saw and he wanted me to get it done.
Honestly, I am very involved in my medical treatment. I ask way to many questions and research like a beast (uncle had cancer and found a better treatment plan on line than his doctor was proposing).
My first interview with the doctor ... he gave a ton of info which I mostly knew. He ended his spiel with.. "What questions do you have?"
My response, "Why did you not discuss a virtual colonoscopy?" His response, "Do you want to go to Miami, Boston or New York? Because those are the only places that have enough experience for the test to be remotely valid.
ANDDDD... if they find anything they do not understand you are going to get a real one anyway. By the way ... I think your next one exam is likely to be a virtual, ... if this one comes back as a clean bill of health.
Lucky for you, I just spent the last 6 months researching virtual colonoscopies, so I am pretty close to an authority on the topic. What would you like to know?
"
He did the first one and all the follow ups. I kidded him on this last one ... and said, "I still am not getting the virtual one am I." His response, "Nope, not this year."
Back to the topic, I did not even give it a thought ... I said let's do it! Let's make sure I have a clean bill of health. :^)))) Which made my wife very happy.
I have had several polyps removed over the several repeated trips for the do overs. And I have some pockets (diverticulitis). And another test in 8 years is on the schedule.
If you find it too late ... it is very ugly. I know of several from church who found it really late and one from work who found it late ... not one of them lived very long after getting the test ... toooooo late.
Test early and often ... the money is well spent on knowing that the 'gut' part of your body is in good working condition.

I've had four. The actual procedure is not a problem, but the 24-hour "cocktail" in preparation is pure evil.
Here is my best telling about what it is actually like ....
The preparation ... It is not fun ... I always take the day before off ... :^))))))).
I prefer the guzzle method of getting that stuff down ... I don't drink it because it tastes awful. Guzzling prevents me from tasting it until that last swallow. :^)
Now the actual procedure ... well ... I can't tell you a thing.
They give me a little something ... and then it is all black ... until I wake up in the room.
If fact, on one visit the doctor comes in and tells me the complete rundown on the results.
My wife, says to the Doctor, "Doc the lights are on ... but he is not home yet."
According to my wife it was another hour later before I "woke up."
She had to repeat the whole spiel ... because I really was in a galaxy far, far away.
I always reward myself with my favorite hamburger and ice cream ... after the test is completed. I think I have earned it.
BTW. I always claim that my drug and alcohol free body is not used to whatever that stuff is they give me and that is why I have a 3 hour black hole in my memory.
But I always wake up rested.

London...so thankful you were wise and on the road to recovery. Praying for great news in December for you as well. And i agree...Propofol (Michael Jackson drug as anesthesiologist call it) is one sweet dream! Good thing I can't get my hands on it. 😂 😂

I would HIGHLY recommend reading this article about his colonoscope written by Dave Barry. Absolute journalistic comedic gold!
https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html
This is such a good, funny take. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: tennrich1

VN Store

Back