London Vol: medical update

The hardest part is drinking that vile liquid. If you can handle that then you are about home free. I had one Dr. give me some encouraging words. He said in the marine corp. that you learn to embrace the "suck" so just suck it all down as quick as you can. I did. Two minutes later it was all coming back up. So much for advice.

My advice...do what works for you. Get well soon LV.

I understand a colonoscopy is very important, but I don't think I dread anything as much as this test!!
I was 14 when I lost my Mom to colon cancer. Now, 55 years later, I am a veteran of the colonoscopy. I can say with knowledge, there is nothing to fear from this test. And the cost/benefit far outweighs the potential discomfort )which amounts to farting out spent air). No pain whatsoever. And, the peace of mind that you get is great. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your family.

The hardest part is drinking that vile liquid. If you can handle that then you are about home free. I had one Dr. give me some encouraging words. He said in the marine corp. that you learn to embrace the "suck" so just suck it all down as quick as you can. I did. Two minutes later it was all coming back up. So much for advice.

I embraced the suck the last time. Drank the gallon in less than 20 minutes and kept it down!

I know some people have commented that I have been absent for some while, well I believe I am in position now to explain why.

Back in January I was given a medical marker that was high and was offered a Colonoscopy, being a typical male, I so very nearly declined the offer. But fortunately, I went ahead with the procedure and during this they found by accident a lump and the following biopsy confirmed it was a cancer tumor. And a large kidney stone just for extras.

It will try to keep this short, this parachuted me into a world of fear and ultimately pain for both me and my dear family. Six months later and having had 5 operations, CT scans, MRI scans, PET scans, in fact more tests than a MENSA member I can say that the Neuroendocrine tumor and kidney stone have been removed and I have been told that they do not plan to “go back in” until December to check that things have not returned. Given where I was and where I could have been, this is a great result and fell blessed (I don’t know what the future holds but I am in the hands of the one who holds the future) to be able to report this.

But the real reason I have decided to put this into the public domain is that I so nearly never went for the first investigation and if I hadn’t then the outcome would have, in time been very different so:

I beg, implore, urge, encourage and hope ALL in Volnation do not ignore a test, ignore a strange pain, ignore a nagging concern about ones body, get it checked out, I am so happy I did.

Because health is paramount to all of us I hope the moderator will allow this to be visible to as many people as it can on this form.

One small point I also wish to make, whilst I was lying in scan tunnels, or in operation theaters and waiting rooms I often let my mind travel 4,000 miles to a piece of orange in the deep south of a far away land and think about the depth chart of our Defensive Line, think about how good is No 8 really going to be, think about explaining to my wife in the next room, when she hears be Booing at he top of my voice it does not mean I am unhappy it is because Mr Carter has just introduced a Bulldog to the Neyland Turf.

Even in dark and very dark times orange shines brightly.

GO VOL
Well said my friend but I want to take it a step further. Four years ago (I'm 55 now) my wife and PCP stressed to me to get a colonoscopy (I had delayed for over a year), even though I told them I wasn't having any issues, pain, and no family history of colon cancer. Reluctantly, I did the procedure and it probably saved my life. The Dr. found a 7.4cm mass blocking 3/4 of my colon. I was in surgery 2 weeks later in which 30cm of my colon was removed. The mass was considered "pre-cancerous" but all 47 lymph nodes taken out were benign. The Dr. told me if I had waited 3 months, it would have been a different story. I now get my check-up ever time he says to be there and not a minute later.

As you said in your statement, don't ignore any anomalies in your body, but also do whatever regular check-ups are required according to ones age. Follow your PCP/Dr's advice!!

God Bless you that all is good and I wish you continued good news, healing, and health.

Go Vols!!

Good news. Good to read they felt good enough to release you to an entire football season of recouperation. Cheers to many healthy - healthier even - days and seasons ahead.
London, I am glad you got everything checked out. I hope that your health will continue to improve over time, just as you have improved VN in your time on here. God bless sir, and go Vols!

I know some people have commented that I have been absent for some while, well I believe I am in position now to explain why.

Back in January I was given a medical marker that was high and was offered a Colonoscopy, being a typical male, I so very nearly declined the offer. But fortunately, I went ahead with the procedure and during this they found by accident a lump and the following biopsy confirmed it was a cancer tumor. And a large kidney stone just for extras.

It will try to keep this short, this parachuted me into a world of fear and ultimately pain for both me and my dear family. Six months later and having had 5 operations, CT scans, MRI scans, PET scans, in fact more tests than a MENSA member I can say that the Neuroendocrine tumor and kidney stone have been removed and I have been told that they do not plan to “go back in” until December to check that things have not returned. Given where I was and where I could have been, this is a great result and fell blessed (I don’t know what the future holds but I am in the hands of the one who holds the future) to be able to report this.

But the real reason I have decided to put this into the public domain is that I so nearly never went for the first investigation and if I hadn’t then the outcome would have, in time been very different so:

I beg, implore, urge, encourage and hope ALL in Volnation do not ignore a test, ignore a strange pain, ignore a nagging concern about ones body, get it checked out, I am so happy I did.

Because health is paramount to all of us I hope the moderator will allow this to be visible to as many people as it can on this form.

One small point I also wish to make, whilst I was lying in scan tunnels, or in operation theaters and waiting rooms I often let my mind travel 4,000 miles to a piece of orange in the deep south of a far away land and think about the depth chart of our Defensive Line, think about how good is No 8 really going to be, think about explaining to my wife in the next room, when she hears be Booing at he top of my voice it does not mean I am unhappy it is because Mr Carter has just introduced a Bulldog to the Neyland Turf.

GO VOLS
I am so sorry to hear this, glad you found it early. I know this is a rough go but sounds like you are on the other side of this now. I miss our conversations, we will catch up soon.

GO VOLS
So glad your prognosis appears to be very positive! Thank you for sharing the message and ensuring others are not afraid of doing what is needed to keep yourself in good health. Awesome all around! Bravo sir!

Here is my best telling about what it is actually like ....
The preparation ... It is not fun ... I always take the day before off ... :^))))))).
I prefer the guzzle method of getting that stuff down ... I don't drink it because it tastes awful. Guzzling prevents me from tasting it until that last swallow. :^)
Now the actual procedure ... well ... I can't tell you a thing.
They give me a little something ... and then it is all black ... until I wake up in the room.
If fact, on one visit the doctor comes in and tells me the complete rundown on the results.
My wife, says to the Doctor, "Doc the lights are on ... but he is not home yet."
According to my wife it was another hour later before I "woke up."
She had to repeat the whole spiel ... because I really was in a galaxy far, far away.
I always reward myself with my favorite hamburger and ice cream ... after the test is completed. I think I have earned it.
BTW. I always claim that my drug and alcohol free body is not used to whatever that stuff is they give me and that is why I have a 3 hour black hole in my memory.
But I always wake up rested.
Nailed it! :cool:

They now have pills you can take. I took 6 pills at 2 separate intervals. Now, you have to drink a lot of water with them, but hell, at least it is only WATER!
I have had 7 or 8 colonoscopies and I can tell you, DEMAND the pills for your prep!

Sorry to hear of your issues. Like my pops told me a long time ago....gettin' old ain't for sissies. God's speed in your recovery. Hope you're full go soon.

@LondonVol, I am truly happy that you did have your tests done. As a healthcare provider it becomes so mundane and routine to do these tests and see 1000 times that nothings wrong, but that one time can have such an impact on your life that neglecting yourself has a far worse outcome. I honestly teared up at your post and have to say I’m proud to be a Vol along side of you and so many here. Many times we look at life as being a given, and it isn’t. God has a plan for us all, and I’m glad you put your message on here for many people to see. Maybe, because of your post, someone out there decides to get that scan, or get that test or finds the strength to see what that nagging pain has been for so long. God is good! Go Vols!

@LondonVol, I am truly happy that you did have your tests done. As a healthcare provider it becomes so mundane and routine to do these tests and see 1000 times that nothings wrong, but that one time can have such an impact on your life that neglecting yourself has a far worse outcome. I honestly teared up at your post and have to say I’m proud to be a Vol along side of you and so many here. Many times we look at life as being a given, and it isn’t. God has a plan for us all, and I’m glad you put your message on here for many people to see. Maybe, because of your post, someone out there decides to get that scan, or get that test or finds the strength to see what that nagging pain has been for so long. God is good! Go Vols!
Thank you TNfaninMS that was my motivation to open up. I am so lucky with my prognosis and I sincerely if one other person is because of this thread then I am so happy.

The prep is the worst part of a colonoscopy, the procedure itself is a big nothing. The results, however, certainly are worth the minor inconvenience of the test, no matter which way the results point. Just. Do. It. !!!!

I've had four. The actual procedure is not a problem, but the 24-hour "cocktail" in preparation is pure evil.
I was told recently that the prep has recently been made much easier. But it's really unimportant in light of what the procedure can discover in time for a cure, or the great peace of mind that an "all good" delivers. But you know that.

Last edited:
I was told recently that the prep has recently been made much easier. But it's really unimportant in light of what the procedure can discover in time for a cure, or the great peace of mind that an "all good" delivers. But you know that.
In England we have something called Movieprep, it is mixed with 2 litres of water and then drunk in about one hour, or one litre then the second litre 8 hours later. Both techniques have the same response.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

VN Store

Back