Manafort Trial Thread

I believe you are right on the current charges. I also want to add that Manafort is accused of acting as a “unregistered agent of a foreign principal” and issuing “false and misleading FARA statements,” by not properly disclosing the nature of the consulting he did for a Kremlin-linked Ukrainian political party.
To my knowledged the leader of that party fled to Russia in the wake of what occured in the Ukraine.

A former Trump aide now under federal investigation as part of the Russia probe earned millions working for a corrupt pro-Russian political party that repeatedly disparaged America's most important military alliance.

Paul Manafort, who was Trump's campaign chief from May to August 2016, spent nearly a decade as a consultant to Ukraine's Party of Regions and its standardbearer, Viktor Yanukovych.

Backed by Russian-leaning oligarchs, the party opposed NATO membership and spouted anti-Western rhetoric that once helped fuel violence against American marines. Its reign ended when Yanukovych fled to Russia after bloody street protests against his personal corruption and pro-Moscow actions.

What did ex-Trump aide Paul Manafort really do in Ukraine?

Last edited:

Did you read it.

Manafort has always said he tried to Westernize the party and steer it towards a democratic model, and denies any part in anti-NATO messaging, but Ukrainian critics and U.S. diplomats who served in Kiev aren't so sure.

A leaked U.S. State Department cable from 2006 said that Manafort's job was to give the Party of Regions an "extreme makeover" and "change its image from … a haven for mobsters into that of a legitimate political party."

While other American consultants, both Democratic and Republican, were working on the campaigns of Ukraine's pro-Western "Orange" parties, Manafort was working for a party whose base was in Russian-speaking Eastern Ukraine.

Sounds to me that his "crime" was working for the losing side.

Looks increasingly like they will be hung on at least some charges. Glad Trump weighed in with his mass jury tampering the other day.

Looks increasingly like they will be hung on at least some charges. Glad Trump weighed in with his mass jury tampering the other day.
Why wasn't the jury sequestered in such a high profile trial? I honestly can't figure this out.

Why wasn't the jury sequestered in such a high profile trial? I honestly can't figure this out.

Its expensive and the judge chose to rely upon their assurances that they could avoid press coverage or have conversations about it.

That decision may prove to have been unwise.

Its expensive and the judge chose to rely upon their assurances that they could avoid press coverage or have conversations about it.

That decision may prove to have been unwise.
Expense? That's it? Is it a possibility to not sequester during the trial but sequester during deliberations?

Expense? That's it? Is it a possibility to not sequester during the trial but sequester during deliberations?

1) Creates new pressure to reach a verdict and could be criticized later.

2) If they are going to be influenced at one point they could be influenced at another, so it makes little sense to sequester for just one part.

What will be interesting is if the jury hangs with one hold out and we find out later that the hold out was some Trump love-spewing mouthbreather who lied during jury selection about preexisting opinions.

2) If they are going to be influenced at one point they could be influenced at another, so it makes little sense to sequester for just one part.

What will be interesting is if the jury hangs with one hold out and we find out later that the hold out was some Trump love-spewing mouthbreather who lied during jury selection about preexisting opinions.

Or more likely 1 or 2 mouth breathing anti-Trumpers that lied about their preexisting opinions.

What if it’s a liberal ? Will you disavow them? Get a petition up keeping them from voting ever again because they can’t be trusted ? Or will you just claim he’s guilty on all charges and ignore the verdict ? 🤔

Reactions: BigOrangeD
What if it’s a liberal ? Will you disavow them? Get a petition up keeping them from voting ever again because they can’t be trusted ? Or will you just claim he’s guilty on all charges and ignore the verdict ? 🤔

Of course I would. Potential jurors are obligated to tell the truth during jury selection. No one, on either side of the political divide, should hide a preexisting opinion or agenda from the Court or the parties.

The jury has submitted a note to the judge. This could be the conclusion.
The Jury is stuck on one count.

VN Store

Back