Mark Schlabauch picks WKU

I think we'll win and will likely cover, but I'm not sure I would take it at 13.5. CBJ is more interested in fixing fundamentals and getting reps and experience for young players, so it could stay within 13. JMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 3m
Matt Hayes of The Sporting News picks Western Kentucky to upset Tennessee - Vols are 13.5 point favorite.

Is he the guy that looks like he hates everyone and having to say a word and conflict between someone elses picks and his?

Not a true VFL IMO.

I agree. Now, I'm not going to be surprised if we lose to Oregon, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama.

But losing to WKU would be a big surprise, given how slow they are on both sides of the ball, the size mismatches at the line of scrimmage, and that it's a home game. The only thing they have going in their favor is their coach, but we've got a very good coach too.

gotta earn the respect back man. i dont think they can stop us but i understand these national people picking against us. they dont know more than 5 players on our team and they just assume we blow bc of years past. cant blame them but i dont see UT losing this one.

Last edited:
He doesn't sound very confident in the pick. If you watch the video he basically says that it's hard to find a good potential upset this week so he's going with WKU for lack of a better option. Personally, I would go with Miami over UF, but I expect several pundits to consider UT's game the upset special of the week.

For the record, I dislike Schlabauch because he tends to wear his bias on his sleeve (especially when picking SEC games).

Edit: I would absolutely love to see APSU somehow beat Vandy as the upset of the week, but I think that there is virtually no way that it will happen.

Miami is ranked now (in coaches' poll, anyway). And its at Miami. In fact, UF is only a 3 point favorite, so it wouldn't be much of an upset for UM to win that game.

Going out on a limb and picking a directional school to beat a one-time SEC powerhouse is much more likely to raise eyebrows, and that is the point of the exercise.

This is going to be a popular pick, and it was all offseason, so no one should be surprised. Just let the game happen fellas

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lose to WKU. The win over AP doesn't exactly put us in the National Championship picture.

yes by being undefeated we are in the national championship picture if we lose a game then you can start a thread saying we out of the picture

Where is all this love for wku coming from. Kentucky has been the worst sec team for about the last decade or so. Yeah wku beat them by nine at a neutral site...give 'em some love for an impressive win but really....beating UT in Knoxville... I'm not saying it can't happen but I wouldn't go on national TV saying that it will...

Miami is ranked now (in coaches' poll, anyway). And its at Miami. In fact, UF is only a 3 point favorite, so it wouldn't be much of an upset for UM to win that game.

Going out on a limb and picking a directional school to beat a one-time SEC powerhouse is much more likely to raise eyebrows, and that is the point of the exercise.

Most Gator fans would characterize this as an upset if you lose to Miami. IMO.

I think we cover. I'm not one of these that thinks our Oline is amazing, but I think they're good enough to push WKU around if they come to play and I can't imagine them not.

Mark Schlabach's Upset Pick: Week 2 - ESPN Video - ESPN

Again, I think things like this only help us. Without being an "insider" to the program, I am positive CBJ won't allow the team to overlook anyone. With that being said, these are young men plugged into social media and hear predictions like this. With WKU beating Kentucky and possibly hearing "so called" experts predicting WKU to win this only helps to keep the team focused and hungry to win.

Most Gator fans would characterize this as an upset if you lose to Miami. IMO.

It would suck because we don't have another game scheduled with them and so would have to live with hearing about it forever. But I would not view it as some major upset if for no other reason than that we still just do not seem to have any spark on offense. No big play threat, at all. Very frustrating.

Reactions: 2 people
It's a safe "upset" pick.
If WKU wins, he can boast about being right.
If UT wins, no one will care.

I agree with you except you know there are people on here that will hound him after the Vols win. Probably they same people that are boycotting Athens, TN....wonder how that's going? :detective:

VN Store

Back