Marlin Lane or Rajion Neal?

Does anyone have an opinion as to why someone like Neal who breaks records in the weight room bilut that strength doesn't transfer to on the field. One would think he would be plowing over fools. Any experts out there with an opinion. Seriously.

No offense to Neal because he is a solid back but it seems to me he avoids contact as much as possible until he gets in the red zone, then he plays physical like hes capable of

I like lane better mainly because he will get the tough yards and hits the hole

Reactions: 1 person
Pains me to say it, but the backs didn't get any decent coaching until Graham came. They still had to unlearn certain mis-coaching or lack of it but still got better. I think we will see the UT have a great 1-2 punch with Neal and Lane. I dare say if either needs to be spotted, Hill will make us continue to have a solid 1-2 punch.

Back to the point, our backs are better than they've shown to date. It's coaching that has stymied them. But boy oh boy, just watch them come fall! You better watch out or you might learn something.
Let me ask you all this. In your opinion is Rajon Neal a soft back. Reason being many have said he lacks a certain toughness. He himself confirmed that that's the knock on him from coaches. I myself notice something missing when he has the rock. There's no "umph" with him.(only word that came to mind)

Let me ask you all this. In your opinion is Rajon Neal a soft back. Reason being many have said he lacks a certain toughness. He himself confirmed that that's the knock on him from coaches. I myself notice something missing when he has the rock. There's no "umph" with him.(only word that came to mind)
I think that coaches thought that he was a bit lazy, and never seemed to get in a hurry. That may translate into a lack of "umph."

I think that coaches thought that he was a bit lazy, and never seemed to get in a hurry. That may translate into a lack of "umph."
Yeah but he still started. Why did Neal always start over Lane yet fans prefer the latter.

Marlin lane is the better overall back. He runs harder,stronger,has better vision, and also has a little wiggle when he gets in space. I like Neal....he is trying to be a more physical back, but at the end of the day he doesn't run between the tackles with authority. Both will see plenty of action though. Go Vols!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back