Marlin Lane or Rajion Neal?

Anybody think we can be effective running that inside zone and speed option. I've never seen our backs run like that now. Pead had nice wheels. I need a class on how to better understand this read option.

We do not have a tough-yards back who is better than Hill. I believe it will be interesting to see how the competition plays out, because Hill and our OL are good for 3yds nearly every time. We all know that is not what our offense is shooting for.

Neal was a top 10 back out of high school in Miss when he graduated. there were several schools interested in him and I think he was a late switch from Ms St. With our #1 rated Oline and him being in a some pretty lofty group coming out of HS and now with strength/conditioning while at UT, I can't think of a legitimate reason for him not to be the 1000+ yard back/go to guy (plus he probably has pro aspirations). But it starts with his heart. If he awakens/acquires the heart of a Travis Stephens.....we'll be just fine.

Reactions: 1 person
Neal was a top 10 back out of high school in Miss when he graduated. there were several schools interested in him and I think he was a late switch from Ms St. With our #1 rated Oline and him being in a some pretty lofty group coming out of HS and now with strength/conditioning while at UT, I can't think of a legitimate reason for him not to be the 1000+ yard back/go to guy (plus he probably has pro aspirations). But it starts with his heart. If he awakens/acquires the heart of a Travis Stephens.....we'll be just fine.

Minus the injury he would have had 1000 yds. He would have had 1100-1200yds.

marlin lane allday anyday i'd rather have 3 to 5 yards on every carry then neal who gets touched and falls down 2 yards behide the line or neal will try and bounce it to the outside and run 60 yards and only gain 1 or 2 yards....... give lane 250 carries for 1,250 7 TDs neal 120 carries for 590

Reactions: 1 person

Isn't Neal from Georgia?

When did Neal ever live in Miss ? He came out of Tyrone Ga. So that tells me you really don't have a clue.

Last edited:
I know that Neal has more speed but I think Lane runs harder and understands how to move the chains. To me, we should start Lane and then bring in Neal when the defense is already winded.

Neal will get the start because of his seniority. But let's be honest both backs will get opportunities seeing that our passing game may not be all that good (though we may be surprised, hopefully). I think both backs get roughly the same amounts of carries depending on the situation and flow of the game. I say who ever has the hot hand. It shouldn't be who gets the start but who'll get the most carries. Because this year both backs may see a heavy work load and we'll want both to have fresh legs week in and week out.

Who do you believe will be the starter?

Lane Att:195 Yards:938
Neal Att:229 Yards:1039

doesn't matter. both will be used a lot unless one finally decides to be consistent. consistency has been the issue with both. they have each shown flashes but then go away..

VN Store

Back