Marlin Lane or Rajion Neal?

1)What ranked opponent did Lane shine against? 2)Could Neal being 80% against say...SC sway those numbers? Serious question. Lane didn't perform against top competition the way Neal did. Turn on the video. It's right there to see.

Lane avereaged 3.77 ypc against Alabama. He averaged 3.77 against SC. I just thought Dooley hated the guy. I couldn't come up with any other reason he wasn't getting more carries.

Neal also missed some time and wasnt quite the same. he wouldnt have been a 1000 yard rusher but he could have been in the high 800s. Not too bad when your not getting every carry. i think they will both be good for us this year along with Hill. Its gonna take everybody we got back there. Just hope they all stay healthy

He very well could have been 1000 yd rusher. IIRC he had around 500 yds when he got hurt. I think we'll all agree that NIETHER are on the level we need.

he could have been close. but yeh i think we all agree on that. i still believe they can be a formidable trio if all 3 are running hard and catching it well out of the backfield.

Lane avereaged 3.77 ypc against Alabama. He averaged 3.77 against SC. I just thought Dooley hated the guy. I couldn't come up with any other reason he wasn't getting more carries.

The argument can definately be made That Lane should have had more carries. The argument could also be made that Dooley shouldn't have robbed Neal of his sophomore year at RB. Dooley was a goofball.

And dishonest was a horrible choice of words on my behalf earlier. Assholish and the wrong direction to go IMO.

Last edited:
Its my understanding that Dooley and staff rewarded Neal for his leadership in the weight room and on the practice field as Neal was selfless and did what they asked, whereas Lane didn't have some of the same habits. As we know, Lane hasn't really had a smooth ride.
Neal reminds me of a less skilled Gerald Riggs on the field. He is just to strong and fast to continue to not finish off runs and to be tackled by the toe.

Best case scenario...they both run for 800-1000yds.

:rock: :machgun:

We have two decent backs that are one step away from being great. Neal needs to break tackles better, and Lane needs to blossom into the true 3 down back. Lane can do it all! Hill will be great in short yardage, and some first downs.

Its my understanding that Dooley and staff rewarded Neal for his leadership in the weight room and on the practice field as Neal was selfless and did what they asked, whereas Lane didn't have some of the same habits. As we know, Lane hasn't really had a smooth ride.
Neal reminds me of a less skilled Gerald Riggs on the field. He is just to strong and fast to continue to not finish off runs and to be tackled by the toe.

I think had Dooley not wrongfully moved Neal as a sophomore he would have been ahead of where he was last year. But for the most part I can roll with this post.

what do you mean Neal or Lane? we are going to need them BOTH. Alden Hill will be needed as well. we dont have an elite back like Gurley. But what we do have is 2-3 solid backs that should be better this year.gonna need them all.

if you bothered to read beyond the thread title, all the way through the first post:

"Who do you believe will be the starter?"

Reactions: 1 person
There's a good chance both will get their starts this season, i just hope they run hard and stay healthy. By the end i think Lane will have more starts though. GBO!

It won't matter, as we are going to need both and much more to get through the season.

read all the way from the first post? umm no.Plus its pretty clear Neal will be the starter.

I doubt it. I really do. I think we'll have Co-Starter till one outshines the other. Jones has put Lane on blast to be better and preform like a pro. We'll see. With our Oline though soneone should have a huuuuge season.

Personally, I'd expect them both to be better than last year. It just seems college RBs get stronger and quit making mistakes the longer they are in a program. I'd expect experience backs like Lane and Neal to not be dropping the ball and I'd expect them to be hitting the holes at full speed. These two are good RBs.

I doubt it. I really do. I think we'll have Co-Starter till one outshines the other. Jones has put Lane on blast to be better and preform like a pro. We'll see. With our Oline though soneone should have a huuuuge season.

If the spread you guys run is anything like Oregon's when it comes to depth charts, you'll see three to five people running the ball. Wide receivers, tight ends, RBs etc.

VN Store

Back