Maryland’s ‘Red Flag’ Law Turns Deadly: Officer Kills Man Who Refused To Turn In Gun

But if that’s Maryland’s law, what are the cops supposed to do? Refuse to do their job? Assuming they were told to go to that mans house it’s not really the cops that are enforcing that law
The Constitution trumps state law.

It should take a hearing in front of a judge with the accused having legal representation and being able to put on a defense before guns should be confiscated. There should be a means to take away from people that are a danger to themselves or others but the bar should be very high. Doesn't sound like the bar is all that high in Maryland.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
Do you believe some Constitutional Rights should be temporarily suspended if the person shows themselves to be a danger to themselves or others?

To themselves , no . To others yes . But this law is so easy to take advantage of by family , neighbors , ex’s , anybody with a grudge against you .

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Do you believe some Constitutional Rights should be temporarily suspended if the person shows themselves to be a danger to themselves or others?
Are you really going to defend this by suggesting we side step existing law and the Constitution? Really, Grand? Have you ever heard of the 5th Amendment and due process? Was the defendant/victim in this case given a proper day in court to contest this action? Or did the police state just rush over and proceed to take his property?

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

From the article posted:

According to police, two officers serving a new Extreme Risk Protective Order (Red Flag Law), a Maryland protective order to remove guns from a household, shot and killed the man listed on that order.

Under the law, family, police, mental health professionals can all ask for the protective orders to remove weapons,” said Sgt. Jacklyn David, with Anne Arundel County Police.

To themselves , no . To others yes . But this law is so easy to take advantage of by family , neighbors , ex’s , anybody with a grudge against you .
That is the dangerous part about this law that Grand doesn't appear to understand... or care about.

No, cops aren't there to decide which laws are constitutional and which ones aren't. They are there to enforce the laws, as written, without prejudice.

“I, ____________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

“I, ____________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

And laws duly passed by the legislature are presumed constitutional until a court decides otherwise. I stand by my statement.

And laws duly passed by the legislature are presumed constitutional until a court decides otherwise. I stand by my statement.

"against all enemies, foreign and domestic;"

A domestic enemy would easily be able to slip through unConstitutional laws. Anyone that does that should be treated as such... a domestic enemy. Unfortunately, cops don't arrest lawmakers. They would rather harass civilians with exercising their 2A rights or someone with a bag of reefer in their glove box.

"against all enemies, foreign and domestic;"

A domestic enemy would easily be able to slip through unConstitutional laws. Anyone that does that should be treated as such... a domestic enemy. Unfortunately, cops don't arrest lawmakers. They would rather harass civilians with exercising their 2A rights or someone with a bag of reefer in their glove box.

You haven't a clue as to what you are talking about in this one.

Reactions: Grand Vol
Spoken like a true cop apologist... Guns are legally protected by the 2A. Cops take an oath to uphold The Constitution. The cops were 110% wrong in enforcing this unConstitutional law.
2A protects the people in the states from federal infringement. Does it protect the people from infringement by their own state?

When a person is granted a restraining order, typically the subject of the restraining order must turn in all guns until the order is lifted or expires.

Who better to know about someone's mental health than someone in that type of relationship? Penalties for false claims are felony perjury

WRONG !

When a person is granted a restraining order, typically the subject of the restraining order must turn in all guns until the order is lifted or expires.

Who better to know about someone's mental health than someone in that type of relationship? Penalties for false claims are felony perjury
It's easy to get a restraining order. All the person has to say is "He threatened to kill me" and the judge grants. False claims are extremely hard to prove and rarely prosecuted.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
I'm not talking about the actual killing, I'm talking about people being justified in standing up for their rights.
You need to explain your comment better, because it makes no sense as written then. Last I saw, street dealing drugs isn't a right.

It's easy to get a restraining order. All the person has to say is "He threatened to kill me" and the judge grants. False claims are extremely hard to prove and rarely prosecuted.

I had two placed on me during a nasty divorce when she was trying to prove I was “ violent”. One in Tennessee one in Mississippi , neither required me to give up my guns , but expired from lack of evidence . It’s very easy to get one placed on you but at some point they have to prove it’s a valid reason .

Last edited:

VN Store

Back