Michigan coming after Brian Jean-Mary... [official — He’s gone]

Why? Pope is just as good of a coach and recruiter.
Tilman and Hyatt both had their breakout seasons after working with Burns for a year. The receiver corps as a whole made obvious improvement after a year with Burns. I look forward to bragging on Pope’s development efforts next year.

Reactions: KingPeazy1978
You think we'll have the replacements by the time Spring Practice starts?
I would be shocked if Coach does not have a double secret list of candidates for EVERY position in his upper left hand drawer. Got to be prepared for everything, including lightning strikes. I SUSPECT that many guys have already fielded hypothetical questions about interest level IF IF IF... Not starting from scratch. BUT, when shopping in the upper reaches it CAN BE a process.

Reactions: MaTaLa
We fans tend to think in tribal terms. As if every assistant coach was born in Josh Heupel's family and has lived there his entire life.

Reality is, most of these coaches have been around. They have close friends in other places. There's a spider web of ties among the coaching staffs of college football, and some of those ties are even stronger than the ones that bind a coach to where he is now. Some are strong enough to pull a coach away even if the money is even, or slightly favors staying.

Brian Jean-Mary is a very good coach. We don't need to disparage him for leaving; in his shoes, with his ties, we'd probably have done the same. Let's salute the man, thank him for being a Vol for a while, and look for his successor.

Looks like we need two assistant coaches right now, right? Running backs, and Linebackers.

Go Vols!

Another departure where the narrative that Heupel only hires people he’s worked with previously fails. Burns, Mack and now Jean Mary. Leaving Banks, Garner and Ekeler…SIX of his original ten hires.

Edit: Scratch Ekeler if you count his two seasons at Oklahoma as a GA…Heupel was there (also as a GA) for one of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
You think we'll have the replacements by the time Spring Practice starts?
sure.. Just a thought, I wonder if all this law suit and NCAA stuff might make outside guys hesitant to jump on board??? Not suggesting it, just a thought I just had..

If Heuple names analysts to replace the coaches that are leaving instead of going outside the program to find qualified coaches we are in big trouble. You can’t keep keep dropping your standards because you are insecure of bringing any one new into the program you will end up in the same boat as Butch Jones did. Hire the best available like the top programs in the country does
Eddie, I don't know anything. However, I wonder if Heupel and other coaches at other schools, for that matter, might be hampered by the new realities?

I would be shocked if Coach does not have a double secret list of candidates for EVERY position in his upper left hand drawer. Got to be prepared for everything, including lightning strikes. I SUSPECT that many guys in the past have already fielded hypothetical questions about interest level IF IF IF... Not starting from scratch. I bet he and DW and our DC have a war room wall for this opening.... Same with the OC for our RB opening.

well that's good... do you know who the candidates are they have spoken with?
Well, I've not been told not to divulge that, but clearly that is best for now. This has potential to fall apart based on the targets and their circumstances, as you might imagine.

Serious question, because I genuinely can't remember it mentioned anywhere. As we know coaches are assigned/have ties to specific areas of the country for recruiting (As I have discussed in threads about Mach having NC, SC and Memphis ties)... What areas were Jean-Mary's primary ties/recruiting areas? I'm guessing primarily mid-west, but just curious, because between the two assistant hires that has to be a part of what Heupel will look for is recruiting ties to the areas the lost assistant were responsible for.

I am very curious to see what candidates/options people like to replace BJM as ILB coach... Always should look at theses as opportunities to improve your staff and recruiting.

I am happy to hear from the VQ guys, that they believe Heup knows how important it is to add recruiting value, and don't believe he will promote from within, and that he will hire someone for both (ILB) and (RB) that can really recruit and be an upgrade to the staff..

I believe we have an idea from other thread on Mack leaving on who the potential RB coach replacement will be... as AP and Hubbs and VQ Crew seem very confident it will be a guy from the hotboard they mentioned... (my hope on that one is Carlos Locklyn Oregon RB coach)

but as for ILB coach, I haven't heard too many names connected that get me excited.

One name I would be interested in, is Christian Robinson ILB Coach from Baylor, has lot of ties to SEC being LB coach at UF, for a few years, and at Auburn, was a GA at other SEC schools but will understand what it takes to recruit and coach in SEC...

VN Store

Back