Michigan coming after Brian Jean-Mary... [official — He’s gone]

Serious question, because I genuinely can't remember it mentioned anywhere. As we know coaches are assigned/have ties to specific areas of the country for recruiting (As I have discussed in threads about Mach having NC, SC and Memphis ties)... What areas were Jean-Mary's primary ties/recruiting areas? I'm guessing primarily mid-west, but just curious, because between the two assistant hires that has to be a part of what Heupel will look for is recruiting ties to the areas the lost assistant were responsible for.
I have heard AP and Hubbs talking about the RB coach and every time they do, they mention Memphis. So I think at least for the RB coach, maybe Heupel is looking for a guy that has some strong ties to the Memphis area.

Reactions: BABaracus
Haven't post in awhile but have kept tabs on Vols & Coach Heupel. I enjoyed attending the bowl game in Orlando and plan to be in Norman this fall for the Tenn match up. Lots of ties between these programs and a very good friend of mine - and I can tell you that while Josh is very appreciative & fond of his playing days at OU, there isn't much he would enjoy more than walking into Norman and beating the Sooners. I have been a bit surprised by some fans already seeming to turn on CJH, you guys might beat even Sooner fans in terms of unreasonable expectations. Anyway you guys have a good one and a even better person than he is a coach.

In talking to my friend who is very close to 2 members of your current coaching staff & a lot of the OU staff, and works in college athletics - we did talk about Vols openings. I think most the RB coaching names have already been mentioned with the exception of Larry Porter (currently at NC)

For LB coach the name with most buzz has been Siriki Diabate (spelling?), also mentioned Crum (SMU), Kevin Thune, & Kevin Kane

Last edited:
Reactions: ERvolsfan
Is it a certainty that we get a LB coach? Banks can and has coached LBs. It’s pretty common for DCs to coach LBs and have a position coach for the safeties, which in our scheme is a much bigger group. Just a thought.

Those are some interesting names for the open ILB coach job...

I hadn't heard of Sidiki Diabate, but with ties to MTSU, would be able to recruit this footprint young relentless recruiter.

Maurice Crum is intriguing as well.

very curious to see what legitimate names come out from beat reporters.. I like the direction were going with RB Coach, but not sure yet about where we go at LB, I feel this ILB position is extremely important to land a energetic recruiter and quality coach.

If he's still there, why not grab the Iowa defense coach. We beat them in the bowl game, but those guys played hard. Never backed down. They were hitting right up to the last play. Now, if that coach had our talent, we might become Bama-esque or Georgiatic defense-wise. Let him bring who he wants as staff. I really liked how hard his players played. Or try to steal the Ravens' coach.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
If he's still there, why not grab the Iowa defense coach. We beat them in the bowl game, but those guys played hard. Never backed down. They were hitting right up to the last play. Now, if that coach had our talent, we might become Bama-esque or Georgiatic defense-wise. Let him bring who he wants as staff. I really liked how hard his players played. Or try to steal the Ravens' coach.
Are you talking about phill Parker dc

Roy Manning would be a great get... a little concerning he hasn't worked with ILBs but he's a proven recruiter, and has worked with guys on staff.. Most of the time if your a good coach on whatever respective side of the ball, usually you can coach multiple positions on that side of the ball.

definitely wouldn't just be filling a hole, but potentially an upgrade.

I just have this feeling that HEUP and co.. will fill these two staff vacancies in way that will actually appease the majority of fans and we will be pleasantly surprised. Heup garners a lot of respect in coaching circles and the culture he has built here not just with players but staff, and direction of program. For first time in a long time we can actually attract high quality assistants.

excited to see where we land on both openings.

Reactions: HalfullVol
if Banks has coached linebackers I would let Roy Manning coach the backfield and see if we could get better in that position because you could always change it. That’s the good thing about being able to coach multiple positions

Reactions: VAVol85
So roy manning to safeties and banks shifts from dc/safeties to dc/ilb. I like it.

Or ekeler from st/olb to st/ilb and manning to olb. also makes sense, easy shift.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back