MLB to ban home plate collisions

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
MLB intends to ban home plate collisions by 2015 - ESPN

Major League Baseball plans to eliminate home plate collisions, possibly as soon as next season but no later than by 2015.

Under the rules changes being discussed, sources told Olney:

• Catchers will not be allowed to block home plate.

• Runners will not be permitted to target the catchers.

• The question of whether or not the plate was blocked or the runner targeted the catcher will be reviewable, with an immediate remedy available to the umpires.

• Catchers or runners who violate the new rules will be subject to disciplinary action.

I for one agree with this rule change. As a kid, I remember Ken Caminiti taking out Greg Olson and it always pissed me off.

As long as they properly enforce it. I agree.

Will a runner be automatically safe if the plate was considered blocked?

As long as they properly enforce it. I agree.

Will a runner be automatically safe if the plate was considered blocked?

That's my problem. The game doesn't need more grey area and judgement calls.

If he gets tagged before he touches the plate, he's out. If he doesn't, he's safe. IYAM

There are several old school catchers saying it is long over due. If they think it's needed it's needed.

That's my problem. The game doesn't need more grey area and judgement calls.

If he gets tagged before he touches the plate, he's out. If he doesn't, he's safe. IYAM

Yeah idk how it'll be enforced. If the guy isn't automatically out and its just a catcher ejection... what will stop someone from blocking the plate to prevent a game tying run?

So let it begin. Baseball goes to the gutter. Why is every sport going sissy? What's next? Can't break up a double play or no head first sliding.

Reactions: 1 person
Blocking the plate was already technically illegal; they just never called it. I remember Bill James wrote about it in one of his Abstracts so long ago that the hypothetical example he used was Tony Peña. While he was playing for the Pirates.

I assume that they'll generally call it like obstruction at the other bases -- i.e., the onus will be on the catcher to stay out of the way unless he's got the ball. If you block the plate, the run scores.

No idea what will happen if a catcher illegally blocks the plate and then a runner illegally takes a shot at him too. Run scores as it would anyway, but the runner is ejected for the hit? That's what I'd do.

So let it begin. Baseball goes to the gutter. Why is every sport going sissy? What's next? Can't break up a double play or no head first sliding.

Hopefully, yes, MLB will prohibit take-out slides at second. If protecting players from needless injury is "going sissy", then I hope MLB goes as sissy as is heavenly possible.

Hopefully, yes, MLB will prohibit take-out slides at second. If protecting players from needless injury is "going sissy", then I hope MLB goes as sissy as is heavenly possible.

It's all apart of the game. We're diluting every sport so much that they aren't the sports I enjoyed in the past. I love seeing aggressive play. These guys get paid ****ing millions, and you want to protect them? They get paid for the risk very properly. Wussification of America here we come. Baseball is 100% guarantee money, so the players get paid anyways.

Last edited:
They don't get paid for the risk. They get paid for the skill.

They don't get paid for the risk. They get paid for the skill.

Yes they do. You would be a terrible negotiator if players didn't make teams pay for risk I.e. guaranteed pay. If they get hurt, they still get paid.

Dumb. And Wrong.

In the MLB, money is 100% guaranteed. It's how the players union negociated risk some odd years ago. Normal Americans have a harder life than any pro athlete. These over pampered sissies are pissing the sport they love away. Look at the lowering seat sales.

I have no problem with it as long as it is the same at every base. No more take outs at second base if they are sissifying home plate. While they are at it and since there would be no more intentional collisions at a base, it is time to quit making neighborhood calls as well. The foot is on the base when the ball is in hand or it is not.

In the MLB, money is 100% guaranteed. It's how the players union negociated risk some odd years ago. Normal Americans have a harder life than any pro athlete. These over pampered sissies are pissing the sport they love away. Look at the lowering seat sales.

CTE present when Ryan Freel killed self, report says - ESPN

They aren't sissifying anything. And players are most definitely played for skill, not risk. That's just ridiculous to even try and believe. If you really think there's a dollar amount worth what Ryan Freel was going through, then there's no hope for you.

Reactions: 2 people
I have no problem with it as long as it is the same at every base. No more take outs at second base if they are sissifying home plate. While they are at it and since there would be no more intentional collisions at a base, it is time to quit making neighborhood calls as well. The foot is on the base when the ball is in hand or it is not.

It's one thing to slide and make it hard for an IF to make a good throw, it's another to try to knock them out. That rule has always been in place, it just needs to be enforced.

CTE present when Ryan Freel killed self, report says - ESPN

They aren't sissifying anything. And players are most definitely played for skill, not risk. That's just ridiculous to even try and believe. If you really think there's a dollar amount worth what Ryan Freel was going through, then there's no hope for you.

Depends if you ask someone who is dirt poor that question. I don't think this rule applies to Freel at all. He wasn't a catcher, and he'd be dumb to try to run him over. People negotiate on risk all the time. They make millions that we will never see. I'd love to have the opportunity to play pro sports.

VN Store

Back